British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/top-uk-missed-products-what-do-you-stock-up-529440/)

TestaRossa Oct 20th 2008 2:19 pm

Re: TOP UK MISSED PRODUCTS -what do you stock up on?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:!

It's not the end of October yet! The other site is gearing up for Thanks giving and Halloween. I'm trying to make a fairy frock for Antonia for Halloween, with, I've realised, 8m of net, by the time I've cut it to the right length.....

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 20th 2008 2:25 pm

well we don't do Thanksgiving and we don't really have any traditional Halloween food.

I wouldn't mind a piece of bonfire toffee though and some parkin !

TestaRossa Oct 20th 2008 2:34 pm

Thornton's deliver to Italy......

I've always celebrated Halloween, well when I was small I went to parties and then when Alex was old enough I had one as a sleepover party for him and his mates with them all dressed up, silly games and a scary-ish movie. I even made a pinata one year! Shaped like a ghost! I still remember trying to dress Alex up as mummy in toilet paper!!:p

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 20th 2008 7:14 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 74387

Attachment 74388

dressed up for halloween 2006

TestaRossa Oct 20th 2008 7:25 pm

Those are cute pictures! Chloe is such a big girl isn't she? How old is she there? She looks really tall. When the frock is ready I'll post over on my blog and Fb.

Mr Posh Oct 20th 2008 7:46 pm

the Mrs bought Pickled beetroot at our iper-coop not sure if they are all over Italy or just in romagna.....I HATE THE STUFF. Bring on the Branston :)

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 20th 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks - Chloe IS very tall .... could be inherited from my 6ft 2 father as neither myself of her father are exceptionally tall (but I have two sisters who are both taller than i am). She was only 6 there. She is still the tallest in her class though I do remind her that the boys might overtake some day.

Alex has grown a lot over the summer according to his teachers who didn't see him for three months .... but he's still a smurf. Think he might be one of those lads that grows a metre in a week when he's a about 10. That's what happened to my dad.

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 20th 2008 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Posh (Post 6893358)
the Mrs bought Pickled beetroot at our iper-coop not sure if they are all over Italy or just in romagna.....I HATE THE STUFF. Bring on the Branston :)

never seen it here - though we do have a big new iper-coop fairly close by. Mind you - I never really scoured the shelves for it either. I think you can forget the Branston though ........... and marmite if you're a fan !

Donna Noble Oct 20th 2008 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by kathrynverona (Post 6211502)
bacon comes from lidl and the cheddar is in the local Auchan supermarket. all my friends/neighbours colleagues keep look out for stuff that might be of interest and keep me updated - they spotted the cheese.

There's bacon in Lidl? You are kidding me!

We've whittled down our cravings over the years:

COLMAN's English Mustard
TETLEY's Tea Bags
Bacon
Cumberland sausages

When we first moved here I used to get people to bring out marmite, branston, etc, but the wierd thing was that it just sat there uneaten. Just doesn't seem the same here!

Lorna at Vicenza Oct 20th 2008 9:02 pm

There is a Lidl near my house but apart from the Italian Pancetta it does not sell bacon. Somebody once told me to ask for "pancetta stufata" and to ask for it to be cut thicker than see-through slice. Then you quick fry it in a pan and it is similar to bacon. It won't make a good bacon sandwich but it's good enough on a slice of toast under an egg. It's the nearest I ever got to bacon here unless i bring packets back stuffed inside clothes in a suitcase.

Marmite ........... hate it - never been a problem
Mustard ........ same thing. Brought a mini-jar back once to make local friends taste it .- verdict - HOT!
Sausages ........... when I can I bring them back and freeze them for that special breakfast or bangers and mash with onion gravy.
T- Bags .......... always the FIRST thing in my suitcase !

fransarda Oct 20th 2008 9:45 pm

Here are mine...

Bisto Gravy Powder ( the old fashioned type) essential for sunday roasts
Custard Powder
Salad Cream
Coriander & Cumin
Mint Sauce
Horseradish Sauce
Bacon*
Cheddar
I still have some olde jars of Marmite, keeps for ever
Cadbury's Whole Nut
M & S knickers - ok, not edible BUT unbeatable
Dishclothes

Sad, innit!:unsure:

*I sometimes use Speck for a sad and see through bacon substitute, not quite the same but goes nice and crispy.

TestaRossa Oct 21st 2008 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 6893477)
Thanks - Chloe IS very tall .... could be inherited from my 6ft 2 father as neither myself of her father are exceptionally tall (but I have two sisters who are both taller than i am). She was only 6 there. She is still the tallest in her class though I do remind her that the boys might overtake some day.

Alex has grown a lot over the summer according to his teachers who didn't see him for three months .... but he's still a smurf. Think he might be one of those lads that grows a metre in a week when he's a about 10. That's what happened to my dad.

This happened to my Alex just before he turned 13. He went from not quite smallest to one of the tallest. He's 14 in April and over 5'6" - well you've seen the picture on Fb!

TestaRossa Oct 21st 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Donna Noble (Post 6893552)
There's bacon in Lidl? You are kidding me!

We've whittled down our cravings over the years:

COLMAN's English Mustard - have seen this in shops like Olde English in Fi
TETLEY's Tea Bags - lots of Asian stores here have them, can't stand them!
Bacon - Esselunga
Cumberland sausages - Nope, I like Sainsbury's Pork and Apple. Fed up of the ones here - too rich and fatty, even if you boil them first!

Originally Posted by fransarda (Post 6893819)
Here are mine...

Bisto Gravy Powder - I have a packet OH brought over- can't stand it- do you want it?!
Custard Powder - Old English in Fi
Salad Cream - Same
Coriander & Cumin - Never looked!!
Mint Sauce - Make your own? I have loads of mint growing wild in the garden.
Horseradish Sauce - sure I've had this?? but on a paninni?
Bacon*- Esselunga
Cheddar- Pegna, but massively expensive, so I don't bother!
I still have some olde jars of Marmite, keeps for ever - Old English
Cadbury's Whole Nut - Same
M & S knickers - ok, not edible BUT unbeatable - try Tezemis and Intimisssssimi - T are better and have nice "day time" nicks! I like the cotton shorts!
Dishclothes - Really?!! What about casalingha and supermarkets

Sad, innit!:unsure:

Sometimes there are benefits to living in a big tourist city!! Everything comes with a premium ticket though. A friend still buys baked beans, she pays about €2.50 for a tin!!!!!

LivingHere Oct 21st 2008 9:41 am

I can get coriander and cumin (and fresh coriander) in the Asian shops. Also fruit squashes, ribena, tea bags. In fact everything on the list. The one thing I can't find that I miss is proper cider.

fransarda Oct 21st 2008 9:52 am

You lot are so lucky- as far as I know there are no Asian shops here and despite being a big tourist destination Alghero remains strictly Sardinian - which as I have learned is quite distinct from being Italian. I don't go back to the UK often so these things are in the way of little luxuries. I did forget to put down antiperspirants which are one of my other little treats :p

I wouldn't mind a recipe for mint sauce actually, is it possible without malt vinegar because obviously I can't get that either.

Real Cider...Natch? Were you living in Somerset Living Here, before living here? ( phew) I lived in Bristol and Bath for donkeys years and have had a few outings on Natch in my time.........