Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 12:06 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sounds ok to me. Never heard capstone used as a metaphor, but perhaps I just don't mix with enough English people these days.
Thanks Lorna.

I think metaphorical capstones started in America and are now spreading....unfortunately
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they always inquire ;- C'e' Nessuno ? is that so nessuno can reply??
M
Old Feb 9th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
M
Looks like nessuno did reply!

bye bye dicett' l'inglese
Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
M
Technically, yes
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

It's always mystified me too. Here's my personal explanation, which I haven't checked with an Italian:
If you say, "C'è qualcuno?" it means "Is someone there?", which you might call out if you hear a sound in the middle of the night.
The negative would be "Non c'è nessuno?", which means "Isn't anyone there?", expressing suprise at finding the house empty.
So we need a compromise, leaving the negative word "nessuno" but removing "non".
Owzat? But I still find it illogical...

Another thing I find illogical is when the Italians say "Permesso?" on entering a house. It's one thing to say it if you find the door open and no one in sight (and you could use this as an alternative to "C'è nessuno?"), but I don't understand why they say it when you're standing right there and you've just invited them to come in!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
It's always mystified me too. Here's my personal explanation, which I haven't checked with an Italian:
If you say, "C'è qualcuno?" it means "Is someone there?", which you might call out if you hear a sound in the middle of the night.
The negative would be "Non c'è nessuno?", which means "Isn't anyone there?", expressing suprise at finding the house empty.
So we need a compromise, leaving the negative word "nessuno" but removing "non".
Owzat? But I still find it illogical...

It's hard to find a logic in many aspects of any language.
Your explanation is pretty sound for the expression "c'e' qualcuno" and "non c'e' nessuno" but I would tend to consider "c'e' nessuno" as the equal of "c'e' qualuno" when you think the likelihood of qualcuno being there, is lower.
i.e. if you are expecting someone to be there --> c'e' qualcuno
if you're not sure but you tend to belive it's less like for qualcuno tobe there --> c'e' nessuno?

The usage also vary with social situation, "c'e' qualcuno" being slightly more formal than "'c'e' nessuno?"

Another thing I find illogical is when the Italians say "Permesso?" on entering a house. It's one thing to say it if you find the door open and no one in sight (and you could use this as an alternative to "C'è nessuno?"), but I don't understand why they say it when you're standing right there and you've just invited them to come in!
You say "permesso" only when someone is there and the expression comes from the use of declaring yourself permitted to enter a house (a reiteration of the facr you've been allowed to enter). Of course you can not to say it, it's just polite to do it.
You ask "e' permesso?" when none is in sight, as to check whether you are really allowed to enter or not.
This applies also for a room, and not necessarily for a house or estabilishment (i.e. when you enter a room with the closed door).

Anyway it's worth to point out that no Italian would ever notice the difference if you mix them up in the spoken language...
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ugo51
You say "permesso" only when someone is there and the expression comes from the use of declaring yourself permitted to enter a house (a reiteration of the facr you've been allowed to enter). Of course you can not to say it, it's just polite to do it.
You ask "e' permesso?" when none is in sight, as to check whether you are really allowed to enter or not.
This applies also for a room, and not necessarily for a house or estabilishment (i.e. when you enter a room with the closed door).
Aha! In all these years I hadn't noticed that difference!
Anyway, it's not true that the British are more polite than the Italians, as some Italians seem to imagine. I's just that certain expressions are obligatory in one language and and others in the other language. E.g. the Brits say "thank you" more often than the Italians, but for Italians the response "prego!" is obligatory, while it's not for the Brits.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jonwel
Anyway, it's not true that the British are more polite than the Italians
Allow me to disagree

I would say Britons are more polite with people they are not familiar with.
OK, I come from Genova, which is well reknown for not being a friendly place, at all, but none would ever apologize for bumping you on the street.
Here in UK any busy corridor is a concert of "I'm sorry"
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:03 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to disagree

I would say Britons are more polite with people they are not familiar with.
OK, I come from Genova, which is well reknown for not being a friendly place, at all, but none would ever apologize for bumping you on the street.
Here in UK any busy corridor is a concert of "I'm sorry"
Not just Genova that Ugo - after the last 2 weeks of rain I have to say the next Roman who nearly takes my eye out with careless use of an umbrella and doesn't apolgise is heading for a bit of the Gerogi Markhov treatment As I have an umbrella too

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 11th 2014 at 7:15 am.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Not just Genova that Ugo - after the last 2 weeks of rain I have to say the next Roman who nearly takes my eye out with careless use of an umbrella and doesn't apolgise is heading for a bit of the Gerogi Markhov treatment As i have an umbrella too
I agree about the "sorry" part (we're going off topic now!). There's also a general insensitiveness to the presence of others. If someone is looking at goods on display in a shop and you start looking too, they don't move to one side so that you can both look (but it's not universal because my Italian wife gets annoyed about it too).
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:49 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Anyway back to language questions! How would you helpful people translate this phrase:
perdurante criticità di risorse
...continuing criticality of resource?

....ongoing shortfall in critical resource?

...current shortfall in critical resource?

As ever any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:27 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Anyway back to language questions! How would you helpful people translate this phrase:
perdurante criticità di risorse
...continuing criticality of resource?

....ongoing shortfall in critical resource?

...current shortfall in critical resource?

As ever any help gratefully received.
What about ...... a critical loss of resources or a continuing and critical loss in resources ??? Just throwing it out there Mike ... am up to my neck in paint !
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:43 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What about ...... a critical loss of resources or a continuing and critical loss in resources ??? Just throwing it out there Mike ... am up to my neck in paint !
Thanks Lorna most helpful and I will just keep playing with it until it looks right
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

I would go with the 2nd option

May I ask what's the context?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:35 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

I would go with the 2nd option

May I ask what's the context?
Thanks Ugo I was leaning that way so another informed opinion is always helpful.

The context is improving partnership with a Japanese company but trying to politely tell them we have no real money to do anything new with them so we will need to better exploit existing synergies blah blah. The overpaid bloke in the plush office upstairs has done his speaking points in Italian for next week's meeting with his counterpart and I am now converting them into English for him (as that will be the language of the meeting).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.