Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TALK THE TALK. ITALIAN LANGUAGE QUESTIONS.

Originally Posted by Isakat
DD had an Italian test at school and only got level 5 this time. She made some grammatical errors in her tema, but was absolutely horrified at the wrong word choice she made.
She wrote: "Ci sono tanti preservativi nel cibo fast food", wanting to say " there are a lot of preservatives in fast food".

She had forgotten the false pair preservative=conservanti, much to the amusement of her Italian teacher.
That's the kind of thing I used to say. Bless her. It's how we all learn. At least the teacher was amused.

At my house this week, and after years of being told that Alex has a memory like a sieve, he got his first ever 10/10 in Italian class .............. for memorising and knowing the Italian National Anthem of all things. I can't really take any credit for this because after testing him 7 times I got bored and told him to go and find somebody on You Tube singing it and learn it that way. Bloody hell - it worked. He'll have forgotten all the words by tomorrow of course, but I'm wondering if I should try and conjugate verbs to music. He learns songs and tunes and adverts in a minute.

Yesterday I put my signature under the teacher's 10/10 and instead of just scribbling my signature like I usually do, I wrote "firmo con gioia." The teacher was amused and showed it to another. Poor Alex is screwed now. They'll expect higher marks from him now.

Chloe got jelly, gelatina, jam and marmellata all wrong last week. Not quite as bad as preservativi though. Good job they weren't talking about figs !
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That's the kind of thing I used to say. Bless her. It's how we all learn. At least the teacher was amused.

At my house this week, and after years of being told that Alex has a memory like a sieve, he got his first ever 10/10 in Italian class .............. for memorising and knowing the Italian National Anthem of all things. I can't really take any credit for this because after testing him 7 times I got bored and told him to go and find somebody on You Tube singing it and learn it that way. Bloody hell - it worked. He'll have forgotten all the words by tomorrow of course, but I'm wondering if I should try and conjugate verbs to music. He learns songs and tunes and adverts in a minute.

Yesterday I put my signature under the teacher's 10/10 and instead of just scribbling my signature like I usually do, I wrote "firmo con gioia." The teacher was amused and showed it to another. Poor Alex is screwed now. They'll expect higher marks from him now.

Chloe got jelly, gelatina, jam and marmellata all wrong last week. Not quite as bad as preservativi though. Good job they weren't talking about figs !
Naughty girl!!!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:57 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Naughty girl!!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:39 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

hi helpful people, I have just seen this in an email: "rompere le scatole"

From the context I am asuming this is an idiom for to pester or to bother - am I right?
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
hi helpful people, I have just seen this in an email: "rompere le scatole"

From the context I am asuming this is an idiom for to pester or to bother - am I right?
I always think of it as "be a nuisance", "make trouble" or "be a PITA". And I'm glad you chose the polite version to post here
Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:59 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
I always think of it as "be a nuisance", "make trouble" or "be a PITA". And I'm glad you chose the polite version to post here
Cheers Serrano
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serrano
bust your balls is the italia meaning
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Charteris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi me and my fiancee recently moved to Milan. I tried to find this info elsewhere on the forum but... would anyone know of any cheap, private Italian language tutors out here? Or at least how to find them? Many thanks!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

NicoleLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

hi helpful people, I have just seen this in an email: "rompere le scatole"?
Scatole is a polite way to say 'bollocs' . Rompere means break.
It's a colloquial form and must be used only with people you are close friend with.

Nikki
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:52 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by NicoleLondon
It's a colloquial form and must be used only with people you are close friend with.

Nikki
Thanks Nikki very helpful (PS Bollocks has a K at the end and should only be used with close friends in informal situations and on here )
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:30 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I say bollocks all the time
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

linseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond reputelinseed oil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicoleLondon

Nikki
what I said diddley I
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by duffer
I say bollocks all the time
Yes well proves my point

just kidding
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:05 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Hi guys I have just been asked to explain what Capstone means in Italian for the bloke in the very plush office upstairs.

My first attempt is:
Storicamente la parola “Capstone” significa l'ultima pietra posta sul tetto di un edificio per completarne la costruzione. In Italiano “Capstone” si può tradurre letteralmente come un pietra posta a conclusione dei lavori.

Ma oggigiorno, la parola “Capstone” viene utilizzata come una metafora e significa, inoltre, un fiore all'occhiello, il raggiungimento di un obiettivo o il compimento di un importante corso di formazione

Anybody got any better suggestions or ideas for improvement?

All help gratefully recieved.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:18 am

Hi guys I have just been asked to explain what Capstone means in Italian for the bloke in the very plush office upstairs.

My first attempt is:
Storicamente la parola “Capstone” significa l'ultima pietra posta sul tetto di un edificio per completarne la costruzione. In Italiano “Capstone” si può tradurre letteralmente come un pietra posta a conclusione dei lavori.

Ma oggigiorno, la parola “Capstone” viene utilizzata come una metafora e significa, inoltre, un fiore all'occhiello, il raggiungimento di un obiettivo o il compimento di un importante corso di formazione

Anybody got any better suggestions or ideas for improvement?

All help gratefully recieved.
Sounds ok to me. Never heard capstone used as a metaphor, but perhaps I just don't mix with enough English people these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.