Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Swapping UK driving Licence to Italian

Swapping UK driving Licence to Italian

Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swapping UK driving Licence to Italian

Under the new laws of 13 Jan 2013 - your UK (EU) licence is valid till it expires but....
Officially that's not entirely true. DVLA state that your UK license is only valid if you live (and are resident) at the UK address stated on the document. Failure to notify the DVLA of any changes to your name and/or address is a criminal offense and you could be fined up to £1000.

That said, over 15 years of working around the world I have always maintained my UK license at a family members UK address.

Scratcher
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
Under the new laws of 13 Jan 2013 - your UK (EU) licence is valid till it expires but if you are resident in Italy your renewal must be in Italy, and will be valid for 10 years if you are under 50, 5 years if your are between 50 and 70.
Should be simple ---- lets see in practise.
You cant renew a UK licence when you are a resident in Italy. Is that what you meant?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i meant, but I also meant that your EU driving licence is valid until its expiry wherever you may live in Europe,
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Scozzese is on a distinguished road

Yes... When you renew, you convert so to speak. But the law about the license being valid until expiry has actually been in force since 2007 - I drove on a UK driver's license for 4 years until it expired, and I checked, it was perfectly legal
Old Feb 20th 2013, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Scozzese is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Scratcher
Officially that's not entirely true. DVLA state that your UK license is only valid if you live (and are resident) at the UK address stated on the document. Failure to notify the DVLA of any changes to your name and/or address is a criminal offense and you could be fined up to £1000.

That said, over 15 years of working around the world I have always maintained my UK license at a family members UK address.

Scratcher
Actually, if you look at the smallprint on the DVLA website, it says that the obligation to notify of a change in address is null and void if you move abroad. And due to EU laws on freedom of circulation, the British license is absolutely valdid if you are resident in the EU but not the UK

Sorry to be so nit picky about this, it's just because this is something I did a great deal of research on before a. driving here and b. converting my license
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:03 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scozzese
Yes... When you renew, you convert so to speak. But the law about the license being valid until expiry has actually been in force since 2007 - I drove on a UK driver's license for 4 years until it expired, and I checked, it was perfectly legal
Except that if you are resident in Italy, to drive legally under Italian law, you need to notify the authorities of any change of address and get a new sticky thing for your licence. As there isn't a space for one on a UK licence, you have to swap your UK one for an Italian one. In the past, several of our members had been ticked off for not complying. This new law clears things up (and follows EU rules).

I also read in the papers that last from Nov, EU authorities now share DL details.

Last edited by 37100; Feb 20th 2013 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scozzese
Actually, if you look at the smallprint on the DVLA website, it says that the obligation to notify of a change in address is null and void if you move abroad. And due to EU laws on freedom of circulation, the British license is absolutely valdid if you are resident in the EU but not the UK

Sorry to be so nit picky about this, it's just because this is something I did a great deal of research on before a. driving here and b. converting my license
Thats quite correct. Ive also dont much research and spoken to embassies and the DVLA.

The only thing people must remember is that the licence must also conform to the local country rules. For instance in Spain it is said that you have to have a local medical certificate to back up your licence, because a Spaniard has to have one to back up his Spanish licence. Different countries have different l"local" rules
Old Feb 20th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The only thing people must remember is that the licence must also conform to the local country rules. For instance in Spain it is said that you have to have a local medical certificate to back up your licence, because a Spaniard has to have one to back up his Spanish licence. Different countries have different l"local" rules
The same would be true of Italy too.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by MarkRD
The same would be true of Italy too.
In Spain its a few verbal questions and a reaction test on a computer programme.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

In Spain its a few verbal questions and a reaction test on a computer programme.
Wow you're advanced! In Italy it's a quick sight test and "do you wear glasses?" "do you have any hereditary diseases?" "do you take any medication?" .. end of.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:10 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing like that here, Mitzyboy. You should register address changes and get a sticky for your licence.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:13 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Except that if you are resident in Italy, to drive legally under Italian law, you need to notify the authorities of any change of address and get a new sticky thing for your licence. As there isn't a space for one on a UK licence, you have to swap your UK one for an Italian one. In the past, several of our members had been ticked off for not complying. This new law clears things up (and follows EU rules).

I also read in the papers that last from Nov, EU authorities now share DL details.
So I renewed my UK DL when I was in the UK last summer even though I'm an Italian resident. I guess now that they are sharing details, I'd better get it exchanged for an Italian DL when it expires in 2022? Or do you think I should get it done ASAP? It only cost me £20 but if it means a big fine here in Italy if I get stopped then I'd rather avoid that. I need money for crack cocaine.

Last edited by duffer; Feb 20th 2013 at 8:18 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
So I renewed my UK DL when I was in the UK last summer even though I'm an Italian resident. I guess now that they are sharing details, I'd better get it exchanged for an Italian DL when it expires in 2022? Or do you think I should get it done ASAP? It only cost my £20 but if it means a big fine here in Italy if I get stopped then I'd rather avoid that. I need money for crack cocaine.
Agreed that money would be better spent elsewhere, but don't know how much a conversion costs these days.

But this is the final word as far as I'm concerned:
http://www.patente.it/info-patenti/stranieri-in-italia
Se si possiede una patente rilasciata da uno Stato dell'Unione Europea non ci sono problemi, la patente va bene lo stesso e non deve essere convertita nemmeno se si risiede in Italia da più di un anno. Anche per le patenti comunitarie si consiglia però di richiedere la conversione, oppure il riconoscimento di validità, al fine di velocizzare le pratiche relative al rinnovo o a eventuali duplicati per smarrimento, furto, ecc. Nella procedura di conversione la patente originale viene sostituita dalla patente italiana, mentre nell'operazione di riconoscimento la patente originale rimane in mano al conducente, su di essa viene semplicemente applicato un bollino adesivo che permette di identificarla nell'anagrafe nazionale degli abilitati alla guida.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:18 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Wow you're advanced! In Italy it's a quick sight test and "do you wear glasses?" "do you have any hereditary diseases?" "do you take any medication?" .. end of.
The verbal question is along the lines of "can you see me"?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by duffer
So I renewed my UK DL when I was in the UK last summer even though I'm an Italian resident. I guess now that they are sharing details, I'd better get it exchanged for an Italian DL when it expires in 2022? Or do you think I should get it done ASAP? It only cost me £20 but if it means a big fine here in Italy if I get stopped then I'd rather avoid that. I need money for crack cocaine.
I just spent 5 months in the UK and mine was renewed whilst I was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.