Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools, teachers, kids and parents. Education in general.

Not sure about up north in Verona but here in Rome there are usually rules and there are ways to get around them. I'm not a huge fan of this aspect of Rome living but I guess when in Rome...

Neither husband nor I work away from home unfortunately. We went through the entire complicated application process and told them all our details already. I think we have a decent chance since we're #3 on the wait list...

I'll tell DH to take Astrid down to the asilo next week to check in.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:15 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Third on the waiting list should be good. Families some times give it a go and at the first cough decide that the kids are better off with nonna. Goodluck.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I have to say that when we moved we were late for the registration. They took DS at the ele cos there was a space and they are under an obligation to educate from 6. DD was number 9 or 10 on the waiting list for the local Asilo. She was 3 and must admit that she was a pleasure to have at home. About 3weeks in we get a call from the school office to say they had 'found' her a place at the Asilo in the frazione just down the road. She went there for two years and everything is full around here. I am convinced that they bumped her up the list cos she was cute and blonde and they realised that if we stayed here she might not be speaking Italian when she got to school. I often wonder if there were other kids who didn't have places when they should have but Italian mummies don't give this a second thought when it is their tessoro!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:47 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I went and picked up the kids reports today.
Chloe got 10 in English and quite a few other 10s which was a surprise - not because Chloe doesn't work but because like many of you I'd heard that 10s were almost impossible here. I have seen and signed for all her little verifica during the school year and have seen good marks so I suppose the 10s reflect that.

Alex was annoyed, his English teacher gave him a 9. He wanted a 10 because he is English.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I went and picked up the kids reports today.
Chloe got 10 in English and quite a few other 10s which was a surprise - not because Chloe doesn't work but because like many of you I'd heard that 10s were almost impossible here. I have seen and signed for all her little verifica during the school year and have seen good marks so I suppose the 10s reflect that.

Alex was annoyed, his English teacher gave him a 9. He wanted a 10 because he is English.
I wonder if something's changed in the way they mark cos even H got a 10 for English and one for technology (computery stuff) and Julia got a 10 for English too.... well done to Alex and Chloe though! Have they got much hols homework Lorna? I picked Julias book up, bear in mind that she's already copied out 10poems in corsivo and now she's got to write a page of each capital letter in Corsivo for practice. The book is over 100pages long and is a mixture. So far she's done 4pages! Too flipping hot to concentrate she said....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Chloe has got photocopied worksheets and a list of exercises to do in her textbooks but no summer book. Don't know why. This has never happened before. There is a small summer book for English to buy but I have never bought this extra one in the past and I'm not starting now.

I searched Alex's school/home book this morning and his school bag to find the note about which book to buy for him but couldn't find anything. I know there is something because one of the football club mums mentioned it.
I'm wondering if the note got given out on the Tuesday when I took Alex out of school early for a dentist's appointment and then Wednesday was the last day at school ........

I'll have to get the name of the book from another mum and the local shop probably won't have any left.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Chloe has got photocopied worksheets and a list of exercises to do in her textbooks but no summer book. Don't know why. This has never happened before. There is a small summer book for English to buy but I have never bought this extra one in the past and I'm not starting now.

I searched Alex's school/home book this morning and his school bag to find the note about which book to buy for him but couldn't find anything. I know there is something because one of the football club mums mentioned it.
I'm wondering if the note got given out on the Tuesday when I took Alex out of school early for a dentist's appointment and then Wednesday was the last day at school ........

I'll have to get the name of the book from another mum and the local shop probably won't have any left.
I went into the local cartaloria and ordered mine. The school lets them know what to get when the teachers have decided and I just tell them to add us to the list. Therefore it's usually waiting for us when I get there... this year Julias teachers didn't give it out til pagella day and didn't let the cartaloria know until then... was actually a bit annoying as she had a week and a half off without having anything to start whereas they go back to the UK in just over a week with the Mil! Might be worth going and asking Lorna, as the person in the shop may know what book it is.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:21 pm

I think I will - everybody gets the books from the same place but it has happened before that not all the first/second year etc. classes have been given the same book title.

There are 3 classes for each year in the school here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

You're right Lorna - be careful cos at my sons school the prima A and the prima B have completely different teachers and books and so the holiday list is different for each one. In fact our edicola has a notebook which he keeps lists of the class names and he just asks which class they are in and then orders the books.

ps: i had to get 3 books for this summer at the grand cost of €22 !
Then when we get back from holiday the list for this year is about another 130€
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patty
You're right Lorna - be careful cos at my sons school the prima A and the prima B have completely different teachers and books and so the holiday list is different for each one. In fact our edicola has a notebook which he keeps lists of the class names and he just asks which class they are in and then orders the books.

ps: i had to get 3 books for this summer at the grand cost of €22 !
Then when we get back from holiday the list for this year is about another 130€
Yes my lady has a little folder too but if you tell your person which class it is they normally know.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Nuriel22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patty
ps: i had to get 3 books for this summer at the grand cost of €22 ! Then when we get back from holiday the list for this year is about another 130€
yes, i know. have the teacher nothing say BEFORE the holiday about the books?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:48 am

Just looked up the Veneto 2010/2011 school calendar.
My kids go back to school on Monday September 13th - but some regions have different start dates.

In Tuscany kids there start on Wednesday 15th. - in Emilia Romagna on the 14th - in Sicilia on the 16th.

How are you all getting on with the holiday homework?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Two of mine go back on the 7th (International school), the other two on the 13th (local asilo).

No holiday homework for us, unless you count getting DS2 to actually check were he is about to wee before he opens the floodgates. I had forgotten just how many spare clothes you need when they first start asilo. The older ones are also teaching him random Italian words. I will need to start checking which ones soon.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're the 13th here. Julia has done a lot of her hols homework. H didn't have anything specific but he did read some books in italian before he went back to the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

So are all peeps with kids in state school ready yet for the first day next week?? I think we are!

Well Julia has got everything apart from the books which are on order and I will just have to go and queue next week with the little slips of paper from the school to collect hers.... I don't get why the local Cartoloria couldn't just deliver them.... probably be too easy... I'm still struggling with covering all H's text books with clear plastic and he's still missing one book. We went up to the school on wednesday to see which class he was in and saw a few friends of his and it seems noone has the maths book. Coop reckons it hasn't been printed yet! At least he won't be alone in not having it! He is going to be in Prima A at the scuola media and there are a few of the good kids in his class who he gets on with. The other boy who was his old partner in crime is in B so I'm hoping he might not be too seduced to misbehave. He goes in the first two days from 9-12 and then the rest of the first week 8-1 and J is at school all this week from 8.30-12.30. The schools are a good 20minutes apart and we are still expected to go and collect from the 1st yr media.... I wonder how they keep a check though.... also we've noticed loads of his classmates go around all over the place on their own now.... We've not quite got to that stage yet but I guess it's coming quickly.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.