Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Renzi and the Planks

Renzi and the Planks

Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Renzi and the Planks

Originally Posted by gioppino
Italy has one of highest taxation in Europe, how do you expect small companies to survive if they had to pay all tax due?
It does not have the highest taxation in Europe at all. Look at iht in Italy and compare it to the UK, or look at taxation in Scandinavia.

The problem is collecting tax.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not true :

Revenue Statistics - Comparative tables

Apart from Denmark everyone is lower that Italy.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by highlander1
Not true :

Not if you factor in iht.

If you earn a million quid over the course of a lifetime and you get taxed twice (income tax at 20% and then iht at 40% above 325k)), you are still taxed more than somewhere where you have 40% income tax but no iht. 1000000-200000 income tax=800000. Now factor in iht at 40% above 325k so that's another 320k. So you'll have 480k left.

If the million is only tax for income at 40% then that leaves 600k. When factoring in the lack of iht the Italian tax system is not the worst in Europe at all.

Iht is an awful tax, no wonder David Cameron's dad got someone to draft a 25 page discretionary trust in order to avoid paying iht...I read this documents and its boring as hell, even more boring than the Holland Argentina match yesterday, but it was an effective tax avoidance trust...

Last edited by fleetwoodmac1975; Jul 10th 2014 at 8:38 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

For iht there is one main requirement: you have to plop your clogs. At that particular point, people don't care much one way or another.
During day to day living one's instead cares about what the relation between tax and services is.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

IHT cannot be included in a calculation of taxation as it is not based on earnings or spending. It is based on not existing. If you lived eternally you would not pay it. Personally i dont give a monkey's if there is IHT - at that point I wont be in a position to care. What pisses me off is that I pay over 70% of all my insubstantial income to the state in various forms, and a further 22% on everyting I buy. That puts ITaly pretty high up the draconian tax systems in my book.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=highlander1;11332907what the relation between tax and services is.[/QUOTE]

Yes, looking at it from outside, that's what gets me. From what I can see (you folks there of course know more than me) the state seems to provide very little from all that money they manage to collect. And then there's that innocuous sounding phrase, the "ticket", for various routine health things. I rather have the impression (again I stress I'm outside looking in) that much of what I would think of as social care/provision/safety net is delegated to the family and the catholic church. (Am happy for folk to enlighten/correct me. As long as they are polite and stick to the point he stresses nervously after some of the crud on this thread)

Where does the money go? It's almost as much of a mystery to me as the TV licence fee - I don't see much of that hitting the RAI screens, and they have advertising income as well.

Last edited by sunnysider; Jul 11th 2014 at 5:57 am.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

For iht there is one main requirement: you have to plop your clogs. At that particular point, people don't care much one way or another.
During day to day living one's instead cares about what the relation between tax and services is.
If one has worked all his life to leave something for his kids they should care.

Iht compensates for low income tax. That's why David Cameron has never kept his promise to abolish it. He knows that if he abolishes it then tax will have to be collected one way or the other. Is. By raising income tax thresholds.

Personally I hate the concept of iht.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider
Yes, looking at it from outside, that's what gets me. From what I can see (you folks there of course know more than me) the state seems to provide very little from all that money they manage to collect. And then there's that innocuous sounding phrase, the "ticket", for various routine health things. I rather have the impression (again I stress I'm outside looking in) that much of what I would think of as social care/provision/safety net is delegated to the family and the catholic church. (Am happy for folk to enlighten/correct me. As long as they are polite and stick to the point he stresses nervously after some of the crud on this thread)

Where does the money go? It's almost as much of a mystery to me as the TV licence fee - I don't see much of that hitting the RAI screens, and they have advertising income as well.
That's what we would all like to know. Social services are practically none existant. In our region (Campania) the health service is just a big black hole. Just this morning I have had to have fresh elettrocardiogram, blood tests, and urine analysis, to prove that I still ned the post stroke statins I take. My wife has just been prescribed Aricept, which means she has Alzheimer, altho' it has not yet been officially diagnosed. I am her 24/7 carer, but there are no funds available for assistance if you didn't manage to get it by Feb 2013 . We can't even begin to apply until she is deemed 100% invalid.
I could go on, but there's no point really. You get the picture.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by modicasa
What pisses me off is that I pay over 70% of all my insubstantial income to the state
Are you accounting VAT tax in that?
That's not your income.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:02 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysider

Thought that this bit on the Rai might interest you.

Su La Testa!: RAI: I SOLDI DEL CANONE PER FINANZIARE LA GUERRA E LE BASI USA IN ITALIA
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true :

In my opinion it's not that easy to compare taxation, you should take account of many more aspects than a simple number.

Some examples?
All the english people i know pay good money health insurance, we don't need to.
The single-fare ticket tube in Milan is 1,5€ , in London if i'm not wrong is 4,7£ (just 1-2 zones).
Not accounting that the more cash is around, the more you end to pay for properties and goods and your buying power is less strong.

In my opinion you should compare at the end the life of 2 persons doing same job, average pay in 2 different countries: what kind of home can they afford, if they can afford to buy home, how many times they go at the restaurant, what kind of car they can afford, how many time they go on holiday, how long can they expect to live, etc...

On these basis, i higly doubt you can claim italy to be at the bottom of europe.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry no , all the italians I know go to a private practitioner, paying 50 / 100 euro a pop.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Since 1992 the taxation in Italy has being higher than the UK, some time by almost 10% How much more percentage tax has been paid in Italy during those 20 odd years? One wonders were all that money has gone, as services are poor.
London is one of the most expensive town in the world, wages are higher than anywhere in the UK ( London Attendance ) and higher than the average paycheque in Italy.
Is like trying to compere Milano with Canicatti'.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Since 1992 the taxation in Italy has being higher than the UK, some time by almost 10% How much more percentage tax has been paid in Italy during those 20 odd years? One wonders were all that money has gone, as services are poor.
London is one of the most expensive town in the world, wages are higher than anywhere in the UK ( London Attendance ) and higher than the average paycheque in Italy.
Is like trying to compere Milano with Canicatti'.
Over the course of a lifetime it is not higher than the UK, when taking into account things like council tax and iht.

You also seem keen on generalizations when it comes to Italy. Not all councils in Italy are disaster zones, many provinces are well run with good services.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Inheritance tax is soo taxing that in 2012 20000 people paid this.

That is 0.033% of the UK population . Whao, something to loose sleep over it !.

Council tax is part financing at local level education, transport,police, fire brigade among other things and a lot of people are getting back more that they are inputting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.