Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Renzi and the Planks

Renzi and the Planks

Old Jul 6th 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renzi and the Planks

Renzi, who is he kidding, he got the votes for 80Euros a month not politics. He must have planks in both eyes criticizing the other EU countries on Saturday for excessive bureaucracy. A bit much coming from a country with 150000+ laws and 7000 taxes etc. and that is rated 128th in the world for competitiveness if I remember correctly. Berlusca must be giving him lessons in blagging.
Nice try, obviously Merkel is getting the hots for him.....
M
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renzi and the Planks

Actually currently ranked 49 for competitiveness. Not great admittedly, only ahead of Portugal for major European economies. UK ranked 10. Switzerland 1.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

80e/month can let you smile, but that's for millions of people earning less than 1300e net income.
If you consider an average 650 for rent/mortgage that's not a so negligible help.
At least it's the first tax reduction in many decades.

He didn't criticise EU for the number of laws, but for being strict about some parameters, after being helpful with Germany at the time they were in the same situation.
I don't agree with him on this, but I have to admit he has a point.

by the way I didn't vote for him
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Ok sorry, I think it was 128th for bureaucracy in setting up a company.
He didn´t criticize the EU for laws etc. but for being over bureaucratic......
The point I made wasn´t about the 80E being bad, It was about buying votes.
People voted for the 80E not for The PD just as they did for Berlusca when he promised to remove ICI. The 80E must be paid for.... The public debt this year up to the end of May has risen by 42 Billion almost bang on 2% in 5 months, so the magic 3% is not far away depending on the PIL.

Last edited by Maybe1day; Jul 7th 2014 at 11:04 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

' just as they did for Berlusca when he promised to remove ICIì'. - Except he didnt.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

A fair post of yours ciquta (good luck with your big decision by the way) but I agree with maybe1day that, welcome as the 80E might be to some, and deserving of it as many surely are, it was still vote buying and not at all a mandate for change.

It seems to me that Italy is in such a fix (I'm not denying Britain's separate issues) that it is inevitable that SOME people are going to have to be inconvenienced/going to have to suffer to sort things out.

Berlusconi didn't face this and despite lots of words about Italy's problems I'm not sure that Renzi has either. Seems to me he won the vote (a European one, not domestic - Renzi doesn't seem so keen on a domestic election) to bend Europe more to Italy's way of thinking. That was his mandate.

I also have the feeling, from outside, that Renzi's initial plaudits for asserting himself with Europe have rather blown back after the head of the German central bank hit back.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

He really doesn't have the balls for it, the reduction in public spending has to be at the grassroots level as in Greece and Spain. Sack 1million plus public employees, pay them unemployment benefit, cap pensions. Remove the local town halls/mayors etc., this would stop a vast amount of corruption at all levels and he would be well on his way.

Last edited by Maybe1day; Jul 8th 2014 at 6:44 am.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

ciquta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Ok sorry, I think it was 128th for bureaucracy in setting up a company.
He didn´t criticize the EU for laws etc. but for being over bureaucratic....
No one can blame him for bureaucracy and competitivity in Italy, not even his party who ruled the country for just 2 years since 2001 (when italy had a negative spead and GDP growth above germany and OCSE average).

I think he has still the right to criticize as far as he works to change, time will tell.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

damned if he does damned if he doesn't.
Give this guy a chance for god's sake. and again I am not even politically aligned with him.

Lets just hope he does not have to deal with a pedophilia bubble, like the one going on in the uk at the moment. Who would have thought, the British elite doing something wrong....
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they frequented the Church too much....
Old Jul 8th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by highlander1
Ouch!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

fleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant futurefleetwoodmac1975 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by highlander1
That can't be right, churches in the UK are all being converted to mosques....
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

??? Bradford ?
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fleetwoodmac1975
BS!

Trolling again?
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Am afraid he is.

Ding dong ding dong Britain and its strange foreign types.

Poor benighted land to have such folk.

Here we go again.

It's not even a joke/light banter.

He's a very bad advert for Italy and Italians I fear. A bad advert I stress - luckily not a reflection of the majority.

And as for the above:

"Lets just hope he does not have to deal with a pedophilia bubble, like the one going on in the uk at the moment."

What an @@@@ (insert several apposite words) piece of whataboutery*

The emerging paedophilia issue in Westminster is massively serious.

A proper thorough enquiry needs to take place, not just one that talks about "making sure it doesn't happen again"/new guidelines/it's all better now etc etc. This would be seen as protecting the guilty.

The guilty need to be brought to justice no matter how old they are and then given appropriate prison terms, no matter how old they are. Or elevated.

Few people are going to believe that that so many files were accidentally lost. Those responsible for what looks very like a cover up need to brought to justice as well of course.

But nothing to do with Renzi unless you are into cheap whataboutery.

For all I know similar stuff has been going on in Italy's legislature. I don't know. But even IF (and I stress IF) it had been that would also be nothing to do with Renzi.

Or is someone suggesting that if Renzi's "project" comes to naught he will take a leaf out of the Italian whataboutery book and come back with a witty riposte/troll "well at least we don't have a paedo scandal in our legislature folks like those dodgy Brits" I have my doubts about Renzi but of course he wouldn't stoop so low for all sorts of reasons.

Meanwhile in forum land the suffering of individuals from childhood into adulthood and in many cases until death provides some (thankfully rare) individuals with a cheap jibe. So they didn't suffer in vain.

If this thread should return to Renzi I might come back but otherwise I'll leave it to its poisonous diversions.

* I was introduced to this English phrase by a nice Italian who was talking about what he considered to be a particular Italian trait of SOME. He also very kindly answered my question about what the Italian equivalent phrase might be but I'm afraid that I have forgotten/mislaid it. If some kind soul could suggest an Italian phrase I might learn something useful from this wayward thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.