Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Properties in Calabria

Properties in Calabria

Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Location: Berkshire UK + apartment in the town of Scalea, in Calabria, Southern Italy
ENGJMAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Properties in Calabria

Hi Mary Ann

We visited Calabria five times over two years before we bought, we decided that Calabria was the right place for us after our first visit, but there is just so much to see, that one ends up a bit like a kid in a candy store, there is just so much great stuff around, and very cheap compared to further north.

On this forum you need to complete 3 posts before you can use the private message service.

best wishes

John
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

KimA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Properties in Calabria

Hi, do you have an idea where you would like to buy a house?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi I was thinking to buy a property as well and would like to have some suggestions on a particulary place?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Marianna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ENGJMAX
Hi Mary Ann

We visited Calabria five times over two years before we bought, we decided that Calabria was the right place for us after our first visit, but there is just so much to see, that one ends up a bit like a kid in a candy store, there is just so much great stuff around, and very cheap compared to further north.

On this forum you need to complete 3 posts before you can use the private message service.

best wishes

John
Hello, John,
I actually have been going around in such a fizz since we leave tomorrow, that I cannot really recall if I responded to you. It has been a busy few days.
I apologize if I did not get back to you.
We will be with the Scalea Property Services for 2 days. Do you permanently live there? I believe that it may be a vacation home, right? My husband would probably agree with you in that you cannot buy on the first trip. We have no exact figure on moving costs or if we should ship my beloved Hyudaii Tiburon. Love that car! May not be practical, but maybe there is a Hyundaii dealer there, however, last time I looked, kind of far up in the north, such as Milan.

Can you tell me how it is in Scalea? Are there British people living there all year round or mainly just coming on vacation?

I am truly excited to see this land of beauty with the mountains and the sea, 2 elements in life around which I would adore living!
Thanks, I appreciate your response. John,have you heard good success stories when people had a small home built by a construction company? Do you know of a reputable one? We explore everything.

MaryAnn
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KimA
Hi I was thinking to buy a property as well and would like to have some suggestions on a particulary place?
Hello, Kim,
Where are you from? Welcome to the forum, as if I have been a part of it so long. I have not, but it is great chatting.

We live in America and are visiting Calabria for the first time. I am very excited. No, I do not know where we would like to buy, but it will be a permanent home, not a vacation home. Are you looking to move there for good or a vacation spot?

Would love to hear from you. Must pack.

MaryAnn
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Location: Berkshire UK + apartment in the town of Scalea, in Calabria, Southern Italy

Hi Mary Ann

I Knew you would be busy, did you get a chance to look at the Scalea info site, its well worth it!! there are some folks who have moved and live around Scalea all year, you may well get to meet some of them as mostly on a Friday or Saturday one or two couples get together and have a drink or a meal.

The builder that David & Tony use has a very good reputation from everyone, and I have looked around several of the properties that he has renovated and they are fantastic, that said I have been impressed with the quality of the restoration works on our 1970`s building, But remember things move much, much slower here.

I am sure you will love your trip, we can chat when you get back.

best wishes

John

ps remember that you will be seeing things at nearly the busiest time,
May, June, early July & September are probably the best time to visit
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

jeff46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluntyboy
San Rocco II Completion

Just had correspondance from Giambrone & Law regarding completion of Block 4 in May 08 and Block 5 in Sept 08.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a letter from G & L? & also
1. Has anybody seen or got photo updates?
2. Any views on letter from G &L?
3. Are there any of us going out to complete?
4. Perhaps we should band together in the completion phase. Eg, share advice, problems, ideas......

(also posted this on Calabriahomes.com)
Hi Bluntyboy,

I've been told today that Block 2 will be complete by September and that the Developer has now agreed to complete Kitchens to the original spec.

There should be a letter confirming this on its way soon.

Good news I guess.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ENGJMAX
Hi Mary Ann

I Knew you would be busy, did you get a chance to look at the Scalea info site, its well worth it!! there are some folks who have moved and live around Scalea all year, you may well get to meet some of them as mostly on a Friday or Saturday one or two couples get together and have a drink or a meal.

The builder that David & Tony use has a very good reputation from everyone, and I have looked around several of the properties that he has renovated and they are fantastic, that said I have been impressed with the quality of the restoration works on our 1970`s building, But remember things move much, much slower here.

I am sure you will love your trip, we can chat when you get back.

best wishes

John

ps remember that you will be seeing things at nearly the busiest time,
May, June, early July & September are probably the best time to visit
Great hearing from you, John! Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the newsletter. There are 2 couples featured in it with stories and I wrote a note to them. Gosh, that sounds so nice, people getting together regularly like that. Love it!
That is how retirement should be. lol I had gone on the Scalea Property website prior to arranging this inspection trip. I enjoyed it, but especially the newsletter. I wish it came out even more often.

So, John, in other words, you will move there when the renovation is complete? Or, is it a vacation home?

If I wished to have a home built, do Tony's builders do that? Would like to price that out. We explore everything.

Take care,
MaryAnn
Old Jul 11th 2008, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marianna
Hello, Kim,
Where are you from? Welcome to the forum, as if I have been a part of it so long. I have not, but it is great chatting.

We live in America and are visiting Calabria for the first time. I am very excited. No, I do not know where we would like to buy, but it will be a permanent home, not a vacation home. Are you looking to move there for good or a vacation spot?

Would love to hear from you. Must pack.

MaryAnn
Hi MaryAnn,

I went two times to Calabria and I'm thinking to buy a place there too, but only for vacation home. I visited some nice villages along the costline and saw some good projects. Where did you been ? Are you in Calabria ?

Bye Kim
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

WENDYB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alimcg15
Hi folks,

I have just returned from Calabria and a wonderful 5 days inspection visit. I stayed on the East coast in a place close to Rochella Ionica. I have put a reservation down on a property which will be built come the end of 2009. The area is stunning and with the beautiful beaches on one side and the mountains on the other you cannot fail to be impressed. The locals all seem very friendly and are more than helpful to tourists. I understand there have been a lot of restrictions placed on the developers regarding positioning and height of new builds. I cannot wait to go back. But am at present looking for a Lawyer who is based or has offices in Calabria.

Regards

Ali
Hiya
VFL & Partners International lawyers were reccomended to me and do contracts in both Italian and translate it for you to English. Offices in Rocella Jonica, Crotone, Catanzaro and Tropea. We're in process of purchasing near Calunia. Agree its a fantastic area
Regards. Wendy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

WENDYB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alimcg15
Hi folks,

I have just returned from Calabria and a wonderful 5 days inspection visit. I stayed on the East coast in a place close to Rochella Ionica. I have put a reservation down on a property which will be built come the end of 2009. The area is stunning and with the beautiful beaches on one side and the mountains on the other you cannot fail to be impressed. The locals all seem very friendly and are more than helpful to tourists. I understand there have been a lot of restrictions placed on the developers regarding positioning and height of new builds. I cannot wait to go back. But am at present looking for a Lawyer who is based or has offices in Calabria.

Regards

Ali
I love that area too. The beauty about it is you are buying into the culture and community, not a self contained complex which obviosly will help with their economy , every little town we saw was superb and people very friendly and warm and seemed reallly happy to welcome you to their particular area.Bought near Calounia, Stignano Mare, as a holiday place.cant wait to get back there. Good luck
Regards Wendy
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:01 am
Just Joined

sunnylady is an unknown quantity at this point

Please do not just look at the developments when looking for a holiday home.
There are renovation projects in most of the villages if you are prepared to wait for the house to be finished, or buy a house in a village in the hills or Marina already there, the ones the locals buy to live in. No maintenance fees, hassle with the co, straightforward to buy. You can get a mortgage on those too, easier in the economic climate than developments?
companies that can look after you home while away, monitor it while empty, may be safer than on a large unused holiday development? Living in a community there all the time they keep an eye on neighbouring properties as a matter of course and as the crime rate is low in towns/villages not a real problem.
We were up in the hills yesterday looking at a fantastic 2 bed house with the most glorious views, 6km from the sea and another world. Not right for us but a fantastic home for anyone. computerised watering system!
We bought in a renovation project, no hassle, payments made as and when required. completion easy, well as easy as Italian in triplicate law can be!
Another thing you get more space for your money when buying away from developments.
If anyone wants the name of a developer I can recommend one on the east coast,just message me, but there are a few if you look.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

TYKE2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calabria airlines petition

Hi everyone.

The petition asking for airlines to open up new routes from the UK has been expanded to specifically include the South West,Wales,Scotland and Ireland, due to popular demand.

We now have over 400 signatures.

Please come and support our cause by signing online at:-

www.ipetitions.com/petition/Choicetolamezia

Thanks

Tyke
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Properties in Calabria

Hi Tyke

have signed and very best of luck with your petition

However as a new boy to this forum, can I ask who you are going to send it to?
I was talking over dinner with an Italian friend who is into politics about flights, will/would the UK Airlines get the slots at Lemezia?

I may be wrong but I think that about 70% of the slots are with Italian Airlines, as one might expect, but unfortunately of all of us, they do not have any direct flights to UK or Ireland
Ryanair (god bless them) and any other airline would then have to share the remaining slots with the other couple of carriers?

A copy of your petition should go to the Calabrian Regional Government, the National Government & the EEC all of whom are investing in the area. The point should be made, that this money will be wasted if people can not easily get to Calabria.

I rather expect that the share out of flight slots at Lemezia is a big time Political Issue

Sorry will get off the soapbox now

very best wishes

John
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

TYKE2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well

Ryanair fly to Lamezia from Stansted and also from lamezia to several other Italian airports. Easyjet fly from lamezia to other Italian airports also so the political will should be there. Especially as it would bring in so much investment to the area.
We intend to send to airlines,airport authorities and gov office.

Thanks for your input, its invaluable to receive positive assistance. We could do with support from all the Calabrese expats in the UK also.

Tyke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.