Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Pointless English

Pointless English

Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:04 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pointless English

Originally Posted by MarkRD
"Slip. Few women bother with them anymore....."
Was always known as a petticoat or underskirt where I lived.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Neither can I see how it is sexist. It could be a statement of fact, by sales of the things-

@ Lorna: You understand this type of underwear as a 'petticoat' or 'underskirt'?!
I thought a petticoat hung loose from the shoulders or waist. Surely the clue is in the name pettiCOAT and underSKIRT

A quick google of petticoat throws up images much more substantial than the skimpies we're talking about.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 2:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britaly00
Neither can I see how it is sexist. It could be a statement of fact, by sales of the things-

@ Lorna: You understand this type of underwear as a 'petticoat' or 'underskirt'?!
I thought a petticoat hung loose from the shoulders or waist. Surely the clue is in the name pettiCOAT and underSKIRT

A quick google of petticoat throws up images much more substantial than the skimpies we're talking about.
Yep - petticoat was an all in one, sleevless, silky garment worn from the shoulders. Underskirt was usually silky material too to stop woolen skirts catching on tights and worn at the waist. A slip I presume was the same type of under the skirt garment but it wasn't called that where I lived. Slip was never just knickers in the way that Italians use 'lo slip'
Old Jan 29th 2015, 3:25 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is that I can't wait to get home tonight and rip off my wife's slip.

The elastic is just killing me!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

^ In case anybody hasn't noticed, look at the small print at the bottom of that recruitment poster and see what navy they're recruiting for.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Sancho
^ In case anybody hasn't noticed, look at the small print at the bottom of that recruitment poster and see what navy they're recruiting for.
Can't see any image at all - just a tiny black square.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Scoop, talk show

"Trame, segreti, finti scoop, balle spaziali e retropensieri: basta una sera alla Tv e finalmente capisci la crisi dei talk show in Italia"
9:45pm - 26 Jan 15. Renzi
Good for teaching me the italian "retropensieri" though. Shows the language is up to it if it tries.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Can't see any image at all - just a tiny black square.
It's evaporated for some reason. Here it is again -

https://www.facebook.com/MarinaMilit...1443455538409/
Old Feb 1st 2015, 4:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I thought they were filled with sand. I don't know why. I just did.
A "Jersey Wall" in the US is a similar barrier (flared cone section) made from concrete. I don't recall seeking a plastic temporary one in the US, but it is common to place concrete ones to protect road work(er)s. They are placed sequentially and held in place with steel pin that links two together through lugs at the end. They also have two shallow slots underneath when viewed from the side so they can be lifted with a forklift.

Even a full size American articulated lorry (16m trailer, =53ft) can only carry a dozen "units" - four rows of three blocks side-by-side (I guess each unit is 12ft long), yet contractors will lay out mile after mile of them for major roadworks. I have never seen plastic cones or barrels used other than for short-term protection, or where there are very few workers.

These barriers are extremely tough, and effective and keeping traffic in its lane. I have seen a full size American articulated lorry, or at least the tractor part of it, stranded by having somehow got its front axle over the barrier. In road works at most you might see these temporary concrete barriers nudged sideways a few inches (see slight waveiness of the barrier in the picture above).

The same time of flared cone-section barrier is also cast in place as a permanent barrier with steel reinforcing bars inside.

They are usually cast in situ by a machine called a "curber" (originally designed to lay continuous concrete curbs).

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2015 at 5:27 am.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:49 am

Well thanks for that lesson Pulaski. It was like sitting next to my dad. He built over half the motorways in England. Really, he did. You can't get in a car and go somewhere with my dad without hearing "I built this road Lorna Girl." We used to spend our Easter and summer holidays living in Dad's huge caravan in whichever part of the country he was working in from Wales to Skipton.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

britaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the roughbritaly00 is a jewel in the rough

Everything you always wanted to know about jersey walls but were afraid to ask.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by britaly00
Everything you always wanted to know about jersey walls but were afraid to ask.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sancho
It's evaporated for some reason. Here it is again -

https://www.facebook.com/MarinaMilit...1443455538409/
Lots of comments from pissed off Italians under that poster about it being in English. Cant say I blame them.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I quote from 'ilmeteo' : "..da Mercoledì sarà BIG SNOW."

Horrible. Horrible! (the use of language I mean, not the snow - although that as well).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.