Reload this Page >

Non EU residents to pay for health service

Non EU residents to pay for health service

Old Jan 11th 2024, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

MigsAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non EU residents to pay for health service

Originally Posted by daniel_t
By logical deduction, permanent residents of Italy are entitled to free public healthcare, so the same should go for WA beneficiaries with Carta di Soggiorno Permanente.

Not sure about those with Carta di Soggiorno or the family members of either group - I imagine they should be treated as if they were EU citizens in their first five years of residence. That means they can choose to opt in on a voluntary basis, so it depends on whether they are employed, self-employed, studying, etc.

But then the Italians may operate on a different kind of logic. I hope I haven't confused people with my comments above.
They way i understood the LOCAL article, thos on the Carta di Soggiorno not employed in Italy will hvae to pay the 2000 euro a year. I have a Carta di Soggiorno, and I am not working in Italy so i assume now i hvae have to pay 2000 euro a year.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

The lack of clarity about this provision is hardly the Embassy's fault. According to some people on Facebook certain ASL (in Abruzzo) are saying that this applies to WA beneficiaries although I can hardly see that this could be possible. They are already charging everyone else. Hope that this will be clarified soon and that at least all WA beneficiaries will be exempt.
Old Jan 12th 2024, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nicktonight
The lack of clarity about this provision is hardly the Embassy's fault. According to some people on Facebook certain ASL (in Abruzzo) are saying that this applies to WA beneficiaries although I can hardly see that this could be possible. They are already charging everyone else. Hope that this will be clarified soon and that at least all WA beneficiaries will be exempt.
Since I brought the Embassy in to this, perhaps I should clarify.
My comment was a weak attempt at irony, although I do regard it as a reasonable expectation of an Embassy to be abreast of changes made by the host nation to an international settlement that affect British subjects resident in that country.
And to monitor what British subjects there are up to - ask the Chinese .
Old Jan 12th 2024, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

I studied the Local articles very closely and the Q&As - I think it boils down to if you paid before, you still pay but at a higher rate. We went to the local ASL on Wednesday and were given the new rates so went from €1,500 for us both to €4,000 - a big increase to find.

We will have been here five years come October so will try and obtain the permanent residency certificate so that we can get free access from next year - a saving of €4,000 is a great incentive to get the language skills honed!
Old Jan 13th 2024, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lugsbug
We will have been here five years come October so will try and obtain the permanent residency certificate so that we can get free access from next year - a saving of €4,000 is a great incentive to get the language skills honed!
I'm trying (and failing) to do the maths. Were you here before Brexit and have WA rights?
Old Jan 13th 2024, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by C.2s
I'm trying (and failing) to do the maths. Were you here before Brexit and have WA rights?
I think the key is whether a person has acquired the right of permanent residence/residency, which entitles them to free public healthcare.

EU nationals who live in another member state for the first five years still need to pay into the public healthcare system if they opt in. The same applies to every non-Italian citizen regardless of their nationality. So it shouldn't make a difference whether you're covered by WA or not, I think?

Edit: and then it depends whether you're classed as 'employed', 'self-employed', 'retired' etc.

Last edited by daniel_t; Jan 13th 2024 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2024, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

Hi C.2s and daniel_t

We were here before Brexit and have WA rights, however, we had to pay for health care when we moved as we were not working or contributing to the system. That being the case, we will continue having to pay until we (hopefully) acquire permanent residency rights after five years and thus receive free healthcare.

Thanks daniel_t for explaining
Old Jan 13th 2024, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond reputeC.2s has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree with both of you. My question was about the comment regarding"language skills": I don't see how that's relevant?
Old Jan 13th 2024, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by C.2s
Yes, I agree with both of you. My question was about the comment regarding"language skills": I don't see how that's relevant?
Hi C.2s - to obtain permanent residency after five years, you have to pass an Italian language test.
Old Jan 14th 2024, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi C.2s - to obtain permanent residency after five years, you have to pass an Italian language test.
When I went to get permanent residence the Comune told me I had to show evidence of 5 years employment. I think they made that rule up.
Are you sure there is a language test? I thought that was for citizenship.

Last edited by philat98; Jan 14th 2024 at 6:34 am.
Old Jan 14th 2024, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

There's a language test for citizenship, but no language test for residency for EU nationals and therefore not for any British person who is covered by the WA (I am not sure about those people who moved after Brexit).

You don't have to show you have been working.

Here's more detail. Even if you aren't a citizen it's worth joining this group on Facebook because they have lots of info that's relevant for temp and permanent residents, and they communicate with the embassy a lot::
"Reminder of ways to achieve Permanent Residency and why:
The most obvious way is to be resident continuously for 5 years and maintain the same conditions that granted residency in the first place regarding continuous healthcover (private or Italian state), adequate housing and sufficient financial resources for the whole of that time. You may be asked to prove this.
These are the other ways:
Retired after working in Italy for 12 months and have lived here continuously for 3 years
Stopped working because you have become permanently incapable of work (e.g. illness) but lived here for continuously for 2 years
Stopped working due to an accident at work or occupational illness (regardless of length of residency)
Start working as a cross-border worker (returning to your residence in Italy at least once a week) but have worked in Italy for 3 years continuously beforehand
You evidence your permanent residency either by holding an Attestazione di Soggiorno Permanente from your comune or a Carta di Soggiorno Permanente from your local Questura (or you might end up with both).
However, you become a permanent resident automatically, with no action on your part, once the conditions above are met. But, if you can't demonstrate that you are a permanent resident you can't be expected to reap the benefits hence it is important to hold either the Attestazione or CdS mentioned above.

What are the MAIN benefits of Permanent Residency?
Permanent membership of the Italian health service (SSN) in the same way as an Italian (e.g. no renewals, payments etc)
Can be absent for up to 5 years without losing your right to Italian residency (CdS strongly recommended)
Change residency with no conditions on income, healthcare etc so no requirement to demonstrate these things

"
Old Jan 14th 2024, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

There's a language test for citizenship, but no language test for residency for EU nationals and therefore not for any British person who is covered by the WA (I am not sure about those people who moved after Brexit).

You have to show you have been working.

Here's more detail. Even if you aren't a citizen it's worth joining this group on Facebook because they have lots of info that's relevant for temp and permanent residents, and they communicate with the embassy a lot::
"Reminder of ways to achieve Permanent Residency and why:
The most obvious way is to be resident continuously for 5 years and maintain the same conditions that granted residency in the first place regarding continuous healthcover (private or Italian state), adequate housing and sufficient financial resources for the whole of that time. You may be asked to prove this.
These are the other ways:
Retired after working in Italy for 12 months and have lived here continuously for 3 years
Stopped working because you have become permanently incapable of work (e.g. illness) but lived here for continuously for 2 years
Stopped working due to an accident at work or occupational illness (regardless of length of residency)
Start working as a cross-border worker (returning to your residence in Italy at least once a week) but have worked in Italy for 3 years continuously beforehand
You evidence your permanent residency either by holding an Attestazione di Soggiorno Permanente from your comune or a Carta di Soggiorno Permanente from your local Questura (or you might end up with both).
However, you become a permanent resident automatically, with no action on your part, once the conditions above are met. But, if you can't demonstrate that you are a permanent resident you can't be expected to reap the benefits hence it is important to hold either the Attestazione or CdS mentioned above.

What are the MAIN benefits of Permanent Residency?
Permanent membership of the Italian health service (SSN) in the same way as an Italian (e.g. no renewals, payments etc)
Can be absent for up to 5 years without losing your right to Italian residency (CdS strongly recommended)
Change residency with no conditions on income, healthcare etc so no requirement to demonstrate these things"
Old Jan 14th 2024, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

C.2s - thank you so much for this information. Your mention of the Brexit WA upthread had got me thinking about the requirements for permanent residency and it became clear to me that as 'comparable' EU members under the WA, there was no language requirement (this is only for post Brexit residents).

Thanks all and sorry for derailing the thread!
Old Jan 14th 2024, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

C.2s - can you let me have the name of the Facebook group, please. Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

C.2s - can you let me have the name of the Facebook group, please. Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed response (just saw your message). It's called
UK Citizens' Rights in Italy - Beyond Brexit

Bit of a complicated name, but can be a very useful source of info (as is this forum!)