Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Non EU residents to pay for health service

Non EU residents to pay for health service

Old Oct 18th 2023, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Walton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non EU residents to pay for health service

I read today that all Non EU residents using the health service are to pay 2000 euros to be able to continue using it.... anyone shed any more light on this as it was just a headline news
Old Oct 18th 2023, 10:11 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non EU residents to pay for health service

Originally Posted by Walton
I read today that all Non EU residents using the health service are to pay 2000 euros to be able to continue using it.... anyone shed any more light on this as it was just a headline news
When I listened to Meloni's press conference she did say that it was only for new immigrants. It's a yearly forfeit, per person, instead of the present system calculated using your income. However, I read through an article yesterday and there was no mentioned of it being for new immigrants. Of course, anyone paying into the system by way of work etc and asylum seekers will not need to pay it and emergencies will be treated regardless of your immigration status.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And how will this work with people who have S1 s--which means that the UK government is actually paying for all aspects of a persons healthcare?
Old Oct 18th 2023, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Walton is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that all the stuff we went through before Brexit gave us the same healthcare benefits as Italians....so maybe it's for post Brexit residents...... just a thought
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

It might or might not be a compulsory requirement of residence permits - there is always private health insurance if people choose not to use the SSN / national health service.

Let's wait and see whether the following groups are exempt from this daylight robbery.

- non-EU nationals already in Italy with temporary residence permits

- non-EU nationals who are permanent residents

- diplomatic personnel

- non-EU asylum seekers with residence permits or protection status

- British nationals already registered in the SSN system with S1, E106 or E109

Remember banning English or requiring scooter users to apply for a licence plate? Feasible or not, Italy is full of creativity - at least they are trying to do something to prevent their national credit rating from getting downgraded to JUNK. Let's hope the neo-fascists don't start robbing people like what the Nazis did in the 1930s.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

According to theLocal it only applies to non EU citizens who currently make volontary SSN contributions.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daniel_t
- non-EU nationals who are permanent residents
Does this mean pre-Brexit British residents?
In 2001 I just went to the SSN officeand showed them I was working and paying into INPS. They registered me, no S-whatever forms.
PS I see that Walton agrees with me.

Last edited by jonwel; Oct 18th 2023 at 2:38 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

daniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant futuredaniel_t has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Walton
I thought that all the stuff we went through before Brexit gave us the same healthcare benefits as Italians....so maybe it's for post Brexit residents...... just a thought
Walton you're right.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ce-2023-10-16/
Old Oct 19th 2023, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

There is bound to be someone at the Embassy who is on the Forum or who is tasked with following it. Perhaps they might like to clarify? It'll only take a minute.

Last edited by jiminalpago; Oct 19th 2023 at 11:42 am.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
There is bound to be someone at the Embassy who is on the Forum or who is tasked with following it. Perhaps they might like to clarify? It'll only take a minute.
You might be waiting a bit for them to respond.
Old Oct 19th 2023, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

I immediately thought of getting Irish citizenship as all mentions seem to concern non-EU residents. I would still have to pay a voluntary contribution but still very unclear if this would be by usual calculation or the proposed flat fee. Hope there will be more clarification soon...
Old Dec 25th 2023, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

MigsAngel is an unknown quantity at this point

Merry Xmas...

Any news on if the resolution to increase the cost to 2000 euro per person went through or not?

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2024, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

It only applies to those who are currently paying voluntary contributions to use the Italian NHS (SSN). So nothing changes if you're entitled to free public healthcare.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daniel_t
It only applies to those who are currently paying voluntary contributions to use the Italian NHS (SSN). So nothing changes if you're entitled to free public healthcare.
There is a new article about this in TheLocal. It seems unclear whether people included in the WA will have to pay the 2024 €2000 voluntary subscription.
Old Jan 11th 2024, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

By logical deduction, permanent residents of Italy are entitled to free public healthcare, so the same should go for WA beneficiaries with Carta di Soggiorno Permanente.

Not sure about those with Carta di Soggiorno or the family members of either group - I imagine they should be treated as if they were EU citizens in their first five years of residence. That means they can choose to opt in on a voluntary basis, so it depends on whether they are employed, self-employed, studying, etc.

But then the Italians may operate on a different kind of logic. I hope I haven't confused people with my comments above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.