Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:37 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

We get the sweet deep fried rice balls with raisins at carnevale - I thought indie meant them rather than arancini, which I love with ragu in the middle!!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:41 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
We get the sweet deep fried rice balls with raisins at carnevale - I thought indie meant them rather than arancini, which I love with ragu in the middle!!
Not in Turin. Hope Indie explains herself. I'm curious.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

yeah it's those arancini things.... they are kind of all 'gakky' in your mouth and I need to drink lots to get rid of them... I actually have seen those wedges of semolina but never brought them to try.... might have to now....
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:11 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

One of our local bakers is Sicilian so his are really good - if I get them from the supermarket or anywhere else I'm not a fan, but then it is risotto rice they use so I suppose that explains the gakkiness - too much starch!! The sweet ones aren't crumbed so I think a lot of the starch gets fried off if you know what I mean!! Don't get the semolina stuff here! We do get very good "cheesecakes" made from it though (the base is semolina instead of cheese) with choccie topping and a pastry case.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:13 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
yeah it's those arancini things.... they are kind of all 'gakky' in your mouth and I need to drink lots to get rid of them... I actually have seen those wedges of semolina but never brought them to try.... might have to now....
No, make them yourself. A thick, slightly sweet semolina with a dash of brandy and some lemon peel. You can also add an egg. Leave to cool then dip and fry.
Not keen on Arancini. Son no 2's sicilian ex-girlfriend makes them and he loves them.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
No, make them yourself. A thick, slightly sweet semolina with a dash of brandy and some lemon peel. You can also add an egg. Leave to cool then dip and fry.
Not keen on Arancini. Son no 2's sicilian ex-girlfriend makes them and he loves them.
what are they called???
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:52 pm
Concierge

what are they called???
semolino (dolce) fritto.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
semolino (dolce) fritto.
ohhhh I wonder why they chose that name....
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:01 pm
Concierge

ohhhh I wonder why they chose that name....
Hubby would call it frittura dolce, but you need the thick piemontese accent to go with it.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:52 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning into a "make me sick" thread.

I hate all kinds of rice pudding, semolina, tapioca etc.

Maybe my next comment should go in the good/bad days thread but the one good thing my mum did for me was write a note to school saying "Lorna is excused from eating all kinds of milky puddings".

She didn't really have much choice after the school contacted her to say that they were sick of me throwing up in the dinner hall or in the classroom an hour or two later. Serves them right for insisting I swallow a dishfull of the stuff. A dollop of strawberry jam never made the rice pudding taste better - not in my book anyway.

I also hate custard tarts and any Italian cooked cake with ricotta.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
This is turning into a "make me sick" thread.

I hate all kinds of rice pudding, semolina, tapioca etc.

Maybe my next comment should go in the good/bad days thread but the one good thing my mum did for me was write a note to school saying "Lorna is excused from eating all kinds of milky puddings".

She didn't really have much choice after the school contacted her to say that they were sick of me throwing up in the dinner hall or in the classroom an hour or two later. Serves them right for insisting I swallow a dishfull of the stuff. A dollop of strawberry jam never made the rice pudding taste better - not in my book anyway.

I also hate custard tarts and any Italian cooked cake with ricotta.
It is a shame that the yucky puddings served out of a tin at school have given you an aversion to any milky pudding.
I did not grow up in England, so I never tasted school dinners or puddings.I love rice pudding, but the one made at home with a hint of nutmeg. I bought tapioca flour from the organic shop to get the kids introduced to new flavours. DD was learning about Mexico and Mexican food and we wanted to try the arrowroot tapioca as part of the learning process. I do not think I would ever eat rice/tapioca pudding from a tin, they taste so artificially.
I also do not like eggy puddings and can not stomach the little Napolitan pastries filled with ricotta-like eating a stinky sheep. Same for the marzipan stuff-why anyone wants to eat bitter almonds flavoured cakes is beyond me. I was given a huge tin of amaretti and I must give it to someone who likes them.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
It is a shame that the yucky puddings served out of a tin at school have given you an aversion to any milky pudding.
I did not grow up in England, so I never tasted school dinners or puddings.I love rice pudding, but the one made at home with a hint of nutmeg. I bought tapioca flour from the organic shop to get the kids introduced to new flavours. DD was learning about Mexico and Mexican food and we wanted to try the arrowroot tapioca as part of the learning process. I do not think I would ever eat rice/tapioca pudding from a tin, they taste so artificially.
I also do not like eggy puddings and can not stomach the little Napolitan pastries filled with ricotta-like eating a stinky sheep. Same for the marzipan stuff-why anyone wants to eat bitter almonds flavoured cakes is beyond me. I was given a huge tin of amaretti and I must give it to someone who likes them.
ME!!!!!! I love almond
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:28 pm
The Original Red Head!

Hate marzipan, love amaretti and disaronno... Odd hey?!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Hate marzipan, love amaretti and disaronno... Odd hey?!
Extremely peculiar-perhaps it's the texture of marzipan ( which is the best part of Christmas cake )
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:33 pm
The Original Red Head!

No, love fudge and truffle, just think marzipan is vile!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.