Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:14 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Ooo, aniseeds! Good luck with that! The only thing I like them in is a bread you get in Lucca - it's like a tea cake but a little firmer and it has aniseed as well as dried fruit in it - I wasn't sure at first but then I just had to have more! In Florence they make the same bread but with rosemary instead of aniseed which is just as good!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Ooo, aniseeds! Good luck with that! The only thing I like them in is a bread you get in Lucca - it's like a tea cake but a little firmer and it has aniseed as well as dried fruit in it - I wasn't sure at first but then I just had to have more! In Florence they make the same bread but with rosemary instead of aniseed which is just as good!
that sounds veeery good.... I love aniseeds AND rosemary!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

For your next trip down here then!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

For your next trip down here then!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by indiebird
I haven't bought the Thai rice yet to try. I am a great big lover of Basmati but then Indian food is my food of choice... I only used to buy Basmati in the UK... my fave was brown basmati but there's no hope here of that and I realise not everyone is into brown rice.... Even if you found you couldn't get what you wanted where you are Connie I would be happy to send you down packets of spices. My man at the market even has that smoked paprika that you buy in a little red square metal pot in the UK. I even brought Aniseeds the other week for use in a lentil dish that I still haven't got round to trying out on my kids yet....
Why thank you so much Indiebird, most kind. I used to make my own green thai paste (it took all day nearly-and stinks so bad) then found out that even the Thai's where I live buy the ready made paste from Thai grocery shops. However, I really did prefer my own.
x
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know where to start with these things! OH is allergic to some spice in curry and it makes his lips and tongue swell! He can do normal chilli but not too hot so I've never got into curries at home even though I like them! We had take aways back in the UK but he'd only have tikka without the masala sauce!! Alex is slowly getting into them so there is hope yet! Oh, and Indie, remember the rice discussion? I don't think you can have curry without basmati rice! I just like Thai as a general rice (it's not as scented as the one you buy in the UK)
Some people react to cumin it has differing effects on people-so maybe that's what's making him tingle
Old Nov 5th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

! Oh, and Indie, remember the rice discussion? I don't think you can have curry without basmati rice! I just like Thai as a general rice (it's not as scented as the one you buy in the UK)
My OH found "our" rice (Uncle Ben's Long Grain) during a day trip to Rome. Brought back a 5kg bag. Neither Basmati or Thai passed his taste test !!!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:10 pm
The Original Red Head!

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Some people react to cumin it has differing effects on people-so maybe that's what's making him tingle
I'll feed him some and let you know...

dina1965 - that's so funny! I find it even funnier, please don't be insulted, that an Italian prefers his risotto with long grain rice! I made risotto for the first time in probably years and it went down really well, quite literally - I did, however, use Arborio not Thai! I guess if you don't like the way risotto goes "soggy" though you won't like it! Took us years to realise it wasn't overcooked!!
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

I'll feed him some and let you know...

dina1965 - that's so funny! I find it even funnier, please don't be insulted, that an Italian prefers his risotto with long grain rice! I made risotto for the first time in probably years and it went down really well, quite literally - I did, however, use Arborio not Thai! I guess if you don't like the way risotto goes "soggy" though you won't like it! Took us years to realise it wasn't overcooked!!
not at all insulted as I probably mentioned before, we both hate rice which goes soft on the outside but remains hard on the inside unless you overcook it. long grain works perfectly, especially with seafood risottos. they come out "creamy" and not soggy. I've even converted some Italian friends to long grain !
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:52 pm
The Original Red Head!

Thing is there is a name for these dishes made with long grain rice and I can't remember what it is. Even paella is short grain risotto rice isn't it?? I guess they are closest to Jamaican and Deep south dishes (where Uncle Ben's comes from) I think the short grain does go better with cheese though - the exception being kedgeree which I do love! Not had it for years though!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Indie, I got brown basmati rice from the local herboristeria/health food shop.
I also got some organic tapioca to introduce the kids to tapioca pudding, but for some reason it did not thicken?
I have seen anice seeds here, which I believe are aniseed?They put them in buiscuits.
Have also found fresh coriander in the market in Rome and some garden centers have it in spring time.
Regarding Indian pastes, I bought a jar of tandori Sharwoods some time ago in Auchan.
I wanted to ask what do you use in recipes that ask for double cream. I have found sour cream and creme fraiche, but no double cream and I need it to make some cheasecakes.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:59 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Thank you for the advice, I love coriander. Will be off buying seeds tomorrow. Do you germinate indoors and if so when do you start them off?
X
Sorry Connie, I'he never grown it. Try looking at the roots and shoots thread.

Originally Posted by Isakat
Indie, I got brown basmati rice from the local herboristeria/health food shop.
I also got some organic tapioca to introduce the kids to tapioca pudding, but for some reason it did not thicken?
I have seen anice seeds here, which I believe are aniseed?They put them in buiscuits.
Have also found fresh coriander in the market in Rome and some garden centers have it in spring time.
Regarding Indian pastes, I bought a jar of tandori Sharwoods some time ago in Auchan.
I wanted to ask what do you use in recipes that ask for double cream. I have found sour cream and creme fraiche, but no double cream and I need it to make some cheasecakes.
I don't make cakes anymore -there's only me left to eat them -, but I always used Robiola. It's not as sweet or thick as mascarpone or phily. You can thin it a bit with cream if needed.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Sorry Connie, I'he never grown it. Try looking at the roots and shoots thread.

I don't make cakes anymore -there's only me left to eat them -, but I always used Robiola. It's not as sweet or thick as mascarpone or phily. You can thin it a bit with cream if needed.
Thanks, will try robiola. Here everyone eats cakes apart from me.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Isakat
Thanks, will try robiola. Here everyone eats cakes apart from me.
So much cake!!!!! I don't get it? Why is it that breakfast is always cake?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Grew fantastic coriander this year.......froze lots of leaves and have bags of seeds...millions of....let me know if you want any seeds.....all legit I promise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.