Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Can i bring my collection of herbs and pastes into Italy either on a Pickfords truck or in our own car? I can't imagine how long it would take me quickly to source these in Abruzzo and I NEED them
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my dearly beloved herbs and pastes

Originally Posted by conniewalker
Can i bring my collection of herbs and pastes into Italy either on a Pickfords truck or in our own car? I can't imagine how long it would take me quickly to source these in Abruzzo and I NEED them
Also what about an emergency supply of beans & ketchup & hellmans mayo etc etc?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:28 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

All fine! I was told I couldn't bring my precious house plants and tubs with me by Pickfords but I have known loads who have. You can get Heinz ketchup easily here in Flo - I think you can most places - but the Calve isn't bad anyway, in fact I like their hot ketchup a lot. Bring Hellman's by the bucket if you use it a lot. I can get it here in small jars but it's not readily available everywhere I'm told. The other Mayo's here are just vile.....Best of the bunch is the McD's own brand which you should be able to get easily too. Beans are also normally easy to find in little stores, mainly Asian, again this seems to be universal, but only Heinz. You will need Marmite if you like it. If you drink any concentrates like barley water or Ribena you won't get them here - Fabbri is the Italian brand, really good but no sugar free varieties yet!!

Bring your spices but with a few exceptions you shouldn't have too much trouble with herbs. Better idea with them is to stock up on seeds as you will probably be able to grow them year round. The basil, sage and rosemary are going strong outside here in tubs.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:03 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

If you use coriander, bring it. And some seeds too. It is soooo hard to get here.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
All fine! I was told I couldn't bring my precious house plants and tubs with me by Pickfords but I have known loads who have. You can get Heinz ketchup easily here in Flo - I think you can most places - but the Calve isn't bad anyway, in fact I like their hot ketchup a lot. Bring Hellman's by the bucket if you use it a lot. I can get it here in small jars but it's not readily available everywhere I'm told. The other Mayo's here are just vile.....Best of the bunch is the McD's own brand which you should be able to get easily too. Beans are also normally easy to find in little stores, mainly Asian, again this seems to be universal, but only Heinz. You will need Marmite if you like it. If you drink any concentrates like barley water or Ribena you won't get them here - Fabbri is the Italian brand, really good but no sugar free varieties yet!!

Bring your spices but with a few exceptions you shouldn't have too much trouble with herbs. Better idea with them is to stock up on seeds as you will probably be able to grow them year round. The basil, sage and rosemary are going strong outside here in tubs.
Brilliant-have been homing my house plants but there are 2 I'd like to bring with me,I do intend to grow normal herbs but so many I can't and therefore need my own supply x
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
If you use coriander, bring it. And some seeds too. It is soooo hard to get here.
Thank you for the advice, I love coriander. Will be off buying seeds tomorrow. Do you germinate indoors and if so when do you start them off?
X
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

giodafa will become famous soon enoughgiodafa will become famous soon enough

paste.. now that brings back some memories, as a kid I used to get crab paste sandwiches for my packed lunchI must remember to get some next time I'm home and make my son taste it as he will only eat san daniele prosciutto sandwiches and he takes off every bit of fat.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 7:45 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

If you're bringing some herb over make sure to stash it in your washbag and then into your suitcase and then check it in.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:28 am
Just Joined

2fab is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought all sorts of herbs over and seeds and bulbs in my suitcase...no probs at all...
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:30 am
Just Joined

2fab is an unknown quantity at this point

Just read duffer's reply....i mean for cooking..
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:37 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
If you're bringing some herb over make sure to stash it in your washbag and then into your suitcase and then check it in.
Originally Posted by 2fab
Just read duffer's reply....i mean for cooking..
Don't worry, you aren't the first and won't be the last to get caught out by him! We just ignore him.....he doesn't go away, but we try not to encourage...
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by giodafa
paste.. now that brings back some memories, as a kid I used to get crab paste sandwiches for my packed lunchI must remember to get some next time I'm home and make my son taste it as he will only eat san daniele prosciutto sandwiches and he takes off every bit of fat.
I meant thai and Indian curry pastes x
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I meant thai and Indian curry pastes x
defo bring those with you. Don't think you can buy here. I have found most of the spices I use for indian cooking here at my local market and I roast and grind myself in a coffee grinder but never seen Thai green/ red curry paste here for example....
Old Nov 5th 2010, 11:19 am
The Original Red Head!

I wouldn't know where to start with these things! OH is allergic to some spice in curry and it makes his lips and tongue swell! He can do normal chilli but not too hot so I've never got into curries at home even though I like them! We had take aways back in the UK but he'd only have tikka without the masala sauce!! Alex is slowly getting into them so there is hope yet! Oh, and Indie, remember the rice discussion? I don't think you can have curry without basmati rice! I just like Thai as a general rice (it's not as scented as the one you buy in the UK)
Old Nov 5th 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I haven't bought the Thai rice yet to try. I am a great big lover of Basmati but then Indian food is my food of choice... I only used to buy Basmati in the UK... my fave was brown basmati but there's no hope here of that and I realise not everyone is into brown rice.... Even if you found you couldn't get what you wanted where you are Connie I would be happy to send you down packets of spices. My man at the market even has that smoked paprika that you buy in a little red square metal pot in the UK. I even brought Aniseeds the other week for use in a lentil dish that I still haven't got round to trying out on my kids yet....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.