Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

Originally Posted by sands
Oh Patty ... I just talked about your thread to my OH and he said that's because there's no sense of State here. People have pride in their own homes but that's where it stops. Maybe another glass of vino?
Oh golly - my OH wouldn't let me watch Eastenders so I already had the next glass Only joking (about Eastenders ....not the vino )
Your OH is right - its a case of I'm alright Jack isn't it ? they built some new roundabouts near us and they are just awful - my idea was to ask local businesses to sponsor them - they'd get free advertising and the roundabouts would look much nicer!
(oh my....... just re-read this and it looks like I have a thing about roundabouts I don't honestly !)
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Oh Patty ... I just talked about your thread to my OH and he said that's because there's no sense of State here. People have pride in their own homes but that's where it stops. Maybe another glass of vino?
Yeah, its the reason why they let their dogs shit everywhere and then go home and use antibacterial sprays in their kitchens. Theres no sence of community. Me and my OH call it the cowboy country!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LivingHere
We live near the Switzerland. The first thing that we notice when we cross the border are pavements. Bliss...
And that cars sop at zebra crossings!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:58 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Courmayeur a couple of weeks ago and the lack of dog shit was really noticeable! It's still Italy, just, but so clean! We went ski-ing in Andorra a few years ago and the kids couldn't play in the snow cos of all the French bringing their dogs on holiday and letting them poop all over the place and all over the slopes - it was disgusting! Maybe most of the dog poop is French!! They are Italy's number 1 tourist after all - even more than the Americans!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

welsh_john is an unknown quantity at this point

The graffiti REALLY bugs me. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it put a major downer on trips to Rome and Florence. I know that some of it is done by foreigners, but a hell of a lot was scrawled in Italian... some people say it's political or whatever, but quite honestly, most of it seemed to be the used banal crap about so-and-so loves so-and-so (who gives a shit?), and quite frankly, I find it wretched and disgraceful that the Italians have some of the greatest cities in the world and piss all over them. They don't deserve them. And what's worse, the government seems to be doing nothing about it. Rant over.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welsh_john
The graffiti REALLY bugs me. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it put a major downer on trips to Rome and Florence. I know that some of it is done by foreigners, but a hell of a lot was scrawled in Italian... some people say it's political or whatever, but quite honestly, most of it seemed to be the used banal crap about so-and-so loves so-and-so (who gives a shit?), and quite frankly, I find it wretched and disgraceful that the Italians have some of the greatest cities in the world and piss all over them. They don't deserve them. And what's worse, the government seems to be doing nothing about it. Rant over.

Thats cos their government is too busy stuffing their pockets with the taxpayers money ...... I said exactly the same thing today to one of my students - Italy has some of the most wonderful treasures in the world and they couldn't give a toss (excuse the language !) But its true - there is a Stately home near me called Stupinigi - it was the hunting lodge of the King and it although its open to the public its empty - its all been "nicked" (for want of a finer word !!) So sad.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:21 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I have graffiti on the wall around my house, it says : Do you know respect, serf?" I quite like that for some reason!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:21 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I once read an article that said -
Italy has the largest number of national treasures in the whole of Europe - and the lowest budget for their maintenance and preservation.
It's so true.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

I have reached Nirvana. Ikea Firenze is delivering today. Om.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:09 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a happy bunny at the moment too .......
Two songs from my childhood came to mind last week for no reason at all but I couldn't remember them properly and it was starting to drive me bonkers. I knew one was about a mouse with clogs and the other had a chorus that was full of gobbedly.
After a mad search I have now found both songs - the lyrics and even a full sung version on You Tube. (Max Bygraves)

An Old Windmill In Amsterdamn - a little mouse with clogs on going clip clippety clop on the stair
And the other song is called "Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen by the Sea ."
And I'm supposed to be WORKING - but I've just spent a happy 10 minutes going down memory lane !!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Also Max Bygraves I too remember it well. Guess we're older than we thought - never mind
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice

snorealongamax
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:48 am

I have reached Nirvana. Ikea Firenze is delivering today. Om.
but who's assembling the furniture ?? Them or you ??? Get your screwdriver ready !
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

My secret is lots of flattery, and copious amounts of tea for hubby
Old Apr 29th 2008, 8:11 am

My secret is lots of flattery, and copious amounts of tea for hubby
good idea - don't tell him you think he's put a piece on the wrong way round ..... let him discover it half an hour later when he realises that other parts will not fit properly - and give him whiskey in his tea when he has to take apart what he's already done - beacuse you were right and he wasn't !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.