Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:08 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN ITALY - A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP

Just reading the last few posts - I know many of you are here for lurve!! But even being here as I am, cos I just fancied living in Italy instead of gloomy wet England (hysterical laughter as the rains pours down - oops there's a bit of sun, better nip out quick!) do you find you stop looking at the treasures and old stuff - I have really quickly - only been here 18 months. Yesterday instead of going to the beach or into town to see the sites we went to IKEA.... how sad is that really? I mean, okay, my son's room will be a lot, lot tidier when he comes home next - throwing most of his stuff out while he isn't here is a good way of achieving this, even if it does mean he will never talk to me again, why does he need a broken RC car and bits of meccano which don't go together, answers on a postcard? Stream of consciousness done.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Beep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the roughBeep is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Just reading the last few posts - I know many of you are here for lurve!! But even being here as I am, cos I just fancied living in Italy instead of gloomy wet England (hysterical laughter as the rains pours down - oops there's a bit of sun, better nip out quick!) do you find you stop looking at the treasures and old stuff - I have really quickly - only been here 18 months. Yesterday instead of going to the beach or into town to see the sites we went to IKEA.... how sad is that really? I mean, okay, my son's room will be a lot, lot tidier when he comes home next - throwing most of his stuff out while he isn't here is a good way of achieving this, even if it does mean he will never talk to me again, why does he need a broken RC car and bits of meccano which don't go together, answers on a postcard? Stream of consciousness done.
This morning feels like living back in Ireland........mind you it is a bit warmer even if its peeing down.
I know what you mean about becoming slightly immune to the history and beauty surrounding us.........but I think thats just the difference between living here and visiting for a holiday,you start to take it for granted a little,but then when you have visitors and stick your tour guide hat on for a few day you rediscover it through their eyes.
I wish I lived nearer an Ikea ,have to drag to Brescia for my fix,but maybe its just as well.........but their meatballs are lovely
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:29 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you all are saying here - but we have made homes here and if that means going to Ikea for a bit of furniture to make it more comfortable or practical then so be it.
And let's be honest .... I would love to have antique furniture but whilst my kids are small and cars and dolls' pushchairs etc crash into the furniture then Ikea is fine by me.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:57 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

No, it wasn't that so much, more how easy it is to take Italy for granted once you live here - believe me I use the living here card for everything from IKEA to MacDonalds and the Disney Store - wouldn't dream of going anywhere near these places on holiday but once you live here they are part of life.

It was more that I could have done something else yesterday - got the train to the beach, but I chose to go to IKEA! WHY?!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm not particularly religious either but my irish grandparents were so I know how catholicism worked for them - I'm always surprised by how the "rules" seem to have been changed and adapted here. Little ancedote .........
When we moved houses I was heavily pregnant and alone as OH was in Canada. One day as I was happily unpacking another box an old priest knocked on the door saying he was here doing his rounds and had come to bless the house. As we had no idea who'd been living here before and house had been empty for 3 years I thought it wouldn't do any harm - so I gave him the go ahead but told him I had no change so I'd drop something off in the collection box. (I'd heard stories about 50.000 lira being the going rate and was never going to give him that much). Just one year later a newer and younger priest (still in his fifties though) came knocking - again to bless the house.
"But it's already been done Father" I said.
I'm here to do it again - he said.
"Yes but it was only done last year" - I said again.
It's something we do every year - he said and was quite insistent.
I was confused and exasperated and ended up saying ....
"Look Father - I'm sorry but since when oh when has a blessing ever come with an expirary date ????"
Needless to say he was not impressed and left in a huff. My granny's priest in the UK regulary used to call on her when she was poorly - even gave her confession in the house a few times and never once asked her for a penny. I was not impressed with the Italian way of going about things that seemed just another way to get money out of folks.
That priest is in for a shock anyway if he ever comes knocking on my door to ask why my child hasn't been signed up for catechism classes !!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I had a telling experience. Last summer there was a funeral for a young mum who had died in a tragic accident. As you can imagine the church was packed and there were crowds of people left outside. At a certain point the mourners all started rustling in their pockets and handbags, and I realised there was a collection being passed around. I hesitated, not knowing what the cause was, and having had plenty of expereince in Italy of the way things work, I cynically didnt offer anything. Bloody good job too, as I had it confirmed afterwards that the collection had been for the curch. How disgusting was that, to take advantage of the crowds of people at such a terrible time?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

I've recently been unavoidably introduced to the custom of the local priest and his Deacon knocking on all the doors of these apartments just before Easter, apparently expecting a donation. I firstly pointed to the mezzuzah on our door (the Jewish symbol for protection of the house) but the priest only mimed being offered something, by cupping his hands and smiling gratefully. I then had to take matters into my own hands and lowered my polo neck sweater to waive my Star of David necklace gracefully at him. He then quite rapidly picked up his outerwear and ran down the stairs, leaving a rather bemused Decon facing me Believe me, I firmly believe in to each his own, but was rather surprised at this random act of donating!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:12 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I also am an advocate in each to his own but frown upon the money grabbing so called christian or charity schemes here in my adopted town !!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:16 pm

i actually had a friend (british but now gone back) whose mother-in-law used to collect bags of old clothes for chairty through the church and then sistematically went through each bag to see if anything was of use to her, her family or her nieces, nephews and grandchildren !!!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:53 pm
The Original Red Head!

My Irish Catholic M-I-L would do the same, believe me!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:10 am

Another little annoyance came to mind yesterday. What is it with the Italian vacuum cleaners?
The so called "scopa elettrica" is more hassle than just using a manual sweeping brush.
The better and supposedly more powerful "aspira-polvere" are never powerful enough to clean my rugs easily.
They have a silly little hole but no rotating brushes to get through the pile
and why doesn't anybody seem to make an upright hoover that you push infront of you???
Those little trundle along ladybird style ones with a tube and an end piece make hoovering up back-braking work.
If only Argos would deliver abroad !!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

yellowdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Another little annoyance came to mind yesterday. What is it with the Italian vacuum cleaners?
The so called "scopa elettrica" is more hassle than just using a manual sweeping brush.
The better and supposedly more powerful "aspira-polvere" are never powerful enough to clean my rugs easily.
They have a silly little hole but no rotating brushes to get through the pile
and why doesn't anybody seem to make an upright hoover that you push infront of you???
Those little trundle along ladybird style ones with a tube and an end piece make hoovering up back-braking work.
If only Argos would deliver abroad !!!
you can get dyson vacuum cleaners here. I've got two! One for the car and one for the house, I have a dog you see!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by yellowdog
you can get dyson vacuum cleaners here. I've got two! One for the car and one for the house, I have a dog you see!
yeah - but how much did it cost you ? The only one I ever saw was more than 400 euro !!!!!!!!! Cheaper to buy new rugs every year !!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Just come back from a weekend in France and I get so frustrated. Their towns are so clean - their roundabouts so pretty - their shop assistants smile at you - their roads are smooth and well maintained. We came through the Frejus and exited at Susa and straight away weeds, bumpy roads, unkempt villas ..... is it just me being picky - have I become ...(to quote OH)... a miserable old bag
After a few days I forget and get back into the routine - but its such a shame that Italy is sometimes so neglected. There seems to be no pride - maybe I'm wrong. I've had a couple of glasses of vino tonight and feel like a moan ! If it weren't for my OH I really don't know if I'd stay here - but he spent 15 years in the UK and really doesn't want to live there ever again - so I'm stuck !!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sands will become famous soon enough

Oh Patty ... I just talked about your thread to my OH and he said that's because there's no sense of State here. People have pride in their own homes but that's where it stops. Maybe another glass of vino?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

We live near the Switzerland. The first thing that we notice when we cross the border are pavements. Bliss...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.