Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Car Insurance

Italian Car Insurance

Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nicechris120 is just really nice
Default Re: Italian Car Insurance

i used Italsure for my wife's car when we bought it last year- about £1,000 fully comp, it seems a lot but it was significantly cheaper than any Italian company i tried. i just renewed it for the same premium.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

kenmacleod is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Italian Car Insurance

Originally Posted by ononno
Ciao.
Just to remind you that if insuring in UK with a UK reg. vehicle; then nobody is doing you a favour by issuing a 12 month cover for the rest of the EU. It is now legally required of them to automatically cover you throughout the EU for at least third party.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
'o nonno, thanks for that - do you know if it's a legal requirement for them to provide that 3rd party full the full period of the insurance or if only for a shorter period like many offer in their schedules - e.g 30, 60 or 90 days.

I will be returning to UK for MOT's so that is not an issue for me.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance companies cannot impose a limit on EU third party cover, in the sense that if you buy 6 months, then it's 6 months throughout the EU. If you buy 12 months it's 12 months throughout the EU. They can, and some do, impose time limits on Fully Comprehensive; but that can't effect the third party component of your policy. Just for your info (and maybe you don't qualify) I used to have both a Landrover and Motorhome UK reg. insured with SAGA; fully comp. 365 days European cover (not just EU) at very competitive rates.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

nicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond reputenicktonight has a reputation beyond repute

Does this third party insurance cover an Italian resident who takes out UK insurance for a UK registered car that is mainly used for Italy?

Also what about problems of using a right -hand drive car in Europe. Left hand drive cars seem to me more expensive in the UK?

Incidentally I have just read this on UK gov : "UK residents driving non-UK cars in the UK
UK residents are not allowed to use non-UK registered vehicles on UK roads. The only exceptions are:
if you work in another EU member state and use an EU-registered company car temporarily in the UK for business and private purposes
if you lease an EU-registered car and use this temporarily in the UK"

Transposed to Italy this may mean that Italian residents are no allowed to use non-Italian registered cars?

Last edited by nicktonight; Feb 9th 2012 at 9:20 am.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicktonight
Does this third party insurance cover an Italian resident who takes out UK insurance for a UK registered car that is mainly used for Italy?

Also what about problems of using a right -hand drive car in Europe. Left hand drive cars seem to me more expensive in the UK?

Incidentally I have just read this on UK gov : "UK residents driving non-UK cars in the UK
UK residents are not allowed to use non-UK registered vehicles on UK roads. The only exceptions are:
if you work in another EU member state and use an EU-registered company car temporarily in the UK for business and private purposes
if you lease an EU-registered car and use this temporarily in the UK"

Transposed to Italy this may mean that Italian residents are no allowed to use non-Italian registered cars?
Honestly don't really know, since I haven't recently updated myself on this particular thing. I can tell you that in the early 80's (81 - 83) I frequently used an Italian registered car in the UK for prolonged periods without a problem. Was returning to Italy every 4/5 months though. Are you sure you have checked out the EU legislation on the subject? I have found over the years that many people are not aware of their rights under EU legislation in these sort of matters. Could be that 'temporarily' must be interpreted as up to 12 months? That is how I've always interpreted it, without a problem, over several years; but only up to about 3 years ago. I am sure of my ground re the insurance thing for EU reg. vehicles, be it Italian reg or GB reg. Meant to add LHD or RHD is not a problem. You soon get used to it. Up to about 3 years ago my vehicles were RHD, and Donna C's is LHD and I used both with no problem.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Last edited by ononno; Feb 9th 2012 at 10:30 am. Reason: misssed a bit
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

turivano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats interesting about having 3rd party cover in europe as standard. I wonder if there are is small print that needs checking regarding personal liability for damage to roads or something similar.

(Having split a load of oil out of a tractor in Austria and then the company I was working for having to pay for the fire brigade to come and clean it up at a fair cost makes you consider these things!!)

It also means essentially I was insured when my bike was down here, although I thought I was anyway until the insurance company found out I was working down here but as a UK resident on a UK contract. They promptly cancelled the policy.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

kenmacleod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ononno
Insurance companies cannot impose a limit on EU third party cover, in the sense that if you buy 6 months, then it's 6 months throughout the EU. If you buy 12 months it's 12 months throughout the EU. They can, and some do, impose time limits on Fully Comprehensive; but that can't effect the third party component of your policy. Just for your info (and maybe you don't qualify) I used to have both a Landrover and Motorhome UK reg. insured with SAGA; fully comp. 365 days European cover (not just EU) at very competitive rates.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Got a quote from SAGA and they were pretty good - worth considering!
thanks 'o nonno
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Sophie tucker is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our Italian registered car through a company called italsure. If you need more info pls ask me.