Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian Car Insurance

Italian Car Insurance

Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

kenmacleod is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Italian Car Insurance

Can anyone recommend a car insurance company in Italy?

I have lived in Sardegna for over a year, have codice fiscale, bank account and as of tomorrow will have residence certificate. I want to buy an Italian registered car.

My UK Inurance company are providing me with a letter showing 14 years or more no claims bonus but when I tried the directline.it online quote system the quote it gave me was ridiculous - over €1000pa for a car which directline quote under £300pa for me in the UK. BMW 330 Diesel Estate

So if anyone knows an Insurance agent who speaks English that would be great as my Italian is not great for issues like Insurance.

Last edited by kenmacleod; Feb 7th 2012 at 4:42 pm. Reason: spelling - DUH!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:30 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Italian Car Insurance

Originally Posted by kenmacleod

I have lived in Sardegna for over a year, have codice fiscale, bank account and as of tomorrow will have residence certificate. I want to buy an Italian registered car.

My UK Inurance company are providing me with a letter showing 14 years or more no claims bonus but when I tried the directline.it online quote system the quote it gave me was ridiculous - over €1000pa for a car which directline quote under £300pa for me in the UK. BMW 330 Diesel Estate

So if anyone knows an Insurance agent who speaks English that would be great as my Italian is not great for issues like Insurance.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Pleased to hear that you will have residency - so many people have to fight with the "comune" about which and what papers they think they need.

As for insurance - I just changed companies in November after 10 years when I changed my car. Somebdoy gave me the name of an Italian website like "go compare" for Italy but I'm dammned if I can remember the name of it now. I'll have a think.

RAS turned out to be one of the most expensive anyway.

Bear in mind though that car insurance has always been very dear here ... though I understand it's gone up considerably in the UK recently.

Most people here drive around on 3rd party only as well. Fully comp has prohibitive prices.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Italian Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Most people here drive around on 3rd party only as well. Fully comp has prohibitive prices.
Thank you Lorna, and that's something to consider - I will not be insuring a new car and as the value of the car will not be particularly high I could go that route!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:43 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lorna, and that's something to consider - I will not be insuring a new car and as the value of the car will not be particularly high I could go that route!
Depending on where you live in Italy or where you visit depends on the number of cars you might see with bent bumpers or dents etc. That's because they have 3rd party only.

I'm in the supposedly more affluent North and even though there are some very smart and new cars around, there are always some with a bump or a scrape here and there. That's because the insurance won't pay out for damage to your own vehicle.

Still trying to think of that website for you.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:47 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Bare in mind that an Italian company won't give a damn about your insurance history. Some BE members insure through Uk companies specializing in expats.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:48 pm

I forgot to mention as well that change of ownership papers in Italy will cost you. It's not just a case of opening the glove compartment, filling out a form and sending it off to DVLA or whomever.

Average price of "cambio di proprietà" can be around 500 euro.
Then you'll have to check when the last MOT was done (called revisione) and you'll have to check when the "bollo" was last paid. That's kind of like road tax.

If you bargain well with a salesman you might get some of these thrown in or get him to drop the price a bit.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Lasbury is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Lorna at Vicenza;9889096]Hello and welcome to the forum. Pleased to hear that you will have residency - so many people have to fight with the "comune" about which and what papers they think they need.

As for insurance - I just changed companies in November after 10 years when I changed my car. Somebdoy gave me the name of an Italian website like "go compare" for Italy but I'm dammned if I can remember the name of it now. I'll have a think. QUOTE]

Think the site may be

www.facile.it

Not sure if it will help as I think you need all the Italian class of insurance
details but worth a try.

I get quite a good deal (I think) from the local Allianz agent.
May be worth calling in to a couple of local offices.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Feb 7th 2012 at 8:43 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

I don't think it's possible to recommend a car insurance company in Italy. Via someone else on here I insured a car with italsure.com (who aren't in Italy) and it was somewhat less of a rip-off than anywhere else I could find.

over €1000pa for a car which directline quote under £300pa for me in the UK
Welcome to Italy!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 37100
Bare in mind that an Italian company won't give a damn about your insurance history. Some BE members insure through Uk companies specializing in expats.
Just discovered this - through an Italian friend had a quote (which was quite high) and then spoke to my UK Insurance Company who have supplied a letter stating 14 years no-claim bonus. The response from the company here was no it does not count because UK does not use Euros. I fail to see the significance of the currency in this case hence why I am looking elsewhere.

I may even buy a UK car again as it looks as if it may be the more cost effective option. Given cost of registrazione, bollo, revisione and the assicurazione combined. I think I would prefer to spend that money on travel back to UK as it turns out stuartcollins.co.uk will do a 12 month Green Card for UK registered vehicles.

Thank you for all the helpful comments - I will feedback on how it goes
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by casalottian
I don't think it's possible to recommend a car insurance company in Italy. Via someone else on here I insured a car with italsure.com (who aren't in Italy) and it was somewhat less of a rip-off than anywhere else I could find.

Welcome to Italy!
Grazie!

I have found this out as well - no one here speaks well of insurance companies!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:19 pm

Here's a link to posts about Stuart Collins

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=stuart
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

casalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura aboutcasalottian has a spectacular aura about

Grazie!

I have found this out as well - no one here speaks well of insurance companies!
Prego! But at least get a quote from italsure. I'd be interested in what they quote you. For me they were far less than any company in Italy and I have a friend who manages an insurance agency here and he couldn't get close. YMMV
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Here's a link to posts about Stuart Collins

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=stuart
Thanks Lorna, I have now e-mailed stuartcollins so hopefully they will reply in the morning!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by casalottian
Prego! But at least get a quote from italsure. I'd be interested in what they quote you. For me they were far less than any company in Italy and I have a friend who manages an insurance agency here and he couldn't get close. YMMV
thank you and yes have asked them for a quote as well
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao.
Just to remind you that if insuring in UK with a UK reg. vehicle; then nobody is doing you a favour by issuing a 12 month cover for the rest of the EU. It is now legally required of them to automatically cover you throughout the EU for at least third party.
ciao for now,
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.