Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italian wedding - bridesmaids

Italian wedding - bridesmaids

Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice
Default Italian wedding - bridesmaids

Do ITALIAN weddings have bridesmaids / flower girls and do they dress them the same?

Thanks tutti!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Italian wedding - bridesmaids

Originally Posted by .Ariel.
Do ITALIAN weddings have bridesmaids / flower girls and do they dress them the same?

Thanks tutti!
yes.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Thanks tutti!
Hi Ariel. Not a true ITALIAN wedding I know, but I got married in Italy to an Italian, he wore a Kilt and I had a bridesmaid, flower girls, pageboys and ushers. Felt like a celebrity as no-one had seen this before. Have been to lots of Italian weddings where it seems only the witnesses dress up but never seen flower girls. Maybe the type of weddings I've been to but Italians seem to dress down. My FIL wanted to wear jeans to ours
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience, no. For my wedding I had to explain (ad nauseam) the whole concept, and finally resorted to youtube videos. We didn't get a head table either. The guy running the venue was just like, "oh, we only have a table for the couple, sorry" and so all my bridesmaids sat at a different table. It was pretty awkward. I've found Italian weddings are so boring and full of food to the point of criminality you just kind of want to shoot yourself to get it over.

That is my experience, however. Interested to hear others thoughts?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

As others have said no they don't do bridesmaids here.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:16 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks tutti!
Not the way we do ........... but you can have whatever you want!
The Italians have a word for bridesmaid which is 'damigella'.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Thank you! I ask because I attempted to have bridesmaids, but then one of the 3 said they had their own dress... Hence my confusion. I've decided not to have them anymore as I could see there was some misunderstanding about the whole thing. You tube vids would have been a great idea!
Old Feb 12th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

ambra_wandsworth will become famous soon enough

I know an italian bride who really wanted to have english style -bridesmaids for her wedding and friends where happy to buy the same dress to do that.
I think italian ladies might be really worried to find a proper dress that suits them in terms of style and colours hence they might not like the idea to get the same dress.
They might change their mind if you find something they look good in

Originally Posted by sunnyjt
I I've found Italian weddings are so boring and full of food to the point of criminality you just kind of want to shoot yourself to get it over.

That is my experience, however. Interested to hear others thoughts?

It's true but it's getting better as some young couples go for wedding buffets nowadays so you're not stuck at your table for half a day
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

K in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant futureK in Modena has a brilliant future

I got married in Italy to my Italian OH and had three bridesmaids, one of whom was Italian. She found it all a bit different, but played along admirably!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I don't think it's an Italian tradition as such, but soem do it because they've seen it on American/English films and think it would be cool or whatever.

One thing they don't have is a "best man" but rather 2 or 4 witnesses (one or two per spouse) who effectively act as legal witnesses to the event!

I always find it rather odd how at a church wedding the priest will read out all the legal stuff in church.