Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

how to obtain Italian citizenship for a permanent resident

how to obtain Italian citizenship for a permanent resident

Old Jun 14th 2023, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough
Default how to obtain Italian citizenship for a permanent resident

Hello all,

I've decided to take the plunge and would like to pick your brains as to how go about it because every case is different.

I've been married to an Italian now for over 30 years, currently separated (not officially), have adult children born and living with me in Italy, speak fluent Italian (language test no problem) and already have the biometric carta d'identità for permanent UK citizens after BREXIT.

My questions are:

where do I apply? Comune or Questura?
what documents do I need for the Italian side?
what documents do I need from the UK? Where do I get them from? Presume they need to be translated for the Italian authorities?
how long does the process take?
I suppose there is a cost involved, but that's not a problem

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jun 14th 2023, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to obtain Italian citizenship for a permanent resident

You have to be careful with timing the application. The B1 test result and the legalized documents only last so long. You have to make an appointment for the language test and there can be a long wait. I would look into that first. I spent around €1000 on the process and there was no language test then. Being married to an Italian makes it much easier.

There is quite a bit in this thread.Italian Citizenship

Last edited by philat98; Jun 14th 2023 at 7:38 am.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

The application is now done online, I paid 400 euros about 6 years ago, but with no language test. Your legalised docs only last for 6 months, so as Philat says, your timings become important.
From the UK side you will need a legalised and translated copy of your birth certificate, and a legalised and translated copy of your police report showing you're not a criminal in the UK. The latter, if I remember correctly, needed to be applied for in person, but that may have now changed.
When I got mine it was meant to take 2 years - it took 3. Now I think they say 4 years.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
When I got mine it was meant to take 2 years - it took 3. Now I think they say 4 years.
If you are married to an Italian the processing is much quicker.
Old Jun 17th 2023, 7:14 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Applications can only be done online so first of all you'll need a SPID or CIE and don't even start the process until you have everything because you need to upload all your documents - and keep them all safe to take to the prefettura years later.

If you're on Facebook you should check out this group. They have a stack of updated information files that you can download plus a lot of very well informed members ready and willing to answer any questions.
The others here are right though when they say you need to get the language exam organised first for two reasons. 1. You can only sit the exam through a government recognised insititute like a university and they don't organise them every month so you have to find out where and when you can go and book a place. 2. It takes them ******* months and months to send you the certificate.

You need to go to the ACRO website for the police certificate and yes, it only lasts 6 months. Top tip I read is to get ACRO to send the certificate directly to the apostille place (can't remember where) otherwise they send it to you and you have to then send it back to the UK for the apostille.

Put aside a lot of time, patience and money and good luck.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/APPL...IP/files/files

P.S. I'm pretty sure you cannot get divorced during the process if you apply through marriage.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Jun 17th 2023 at 7:18 am. Reason: added P.S
Old Jun 18th 2023, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

You need to go to the ACRO website for the police certificate and yes, it only lasts 6 months. Top tip I read is to get ACRO to send the certificate directly to the apostille place (can't remember where) otherwise they send it to you and you have to then send it back to the UK for the apostille.

Yes, now I remember I had to a second one, because the first timed out. When you order it you can have it sent directly to the legalisation office in Milton Keynes and then it arrives in Italy with the apostille in place.
Old Jul 7th 2023, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Travelkid0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you wanna do that...taxes are high as f**k... Get some other EU passport and just live in Italy
Old Jul 8th 2023, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by philat98
If you are married to an Italian the processing is much quicker.
Do you know how long they take? If the marriage took place in Italy does this make it quicker as well?
Old Jul 8th 2023, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tpw21
Do you know how long they take? If the marriage took place in Italy does this make it quicker as well?
I think it takes around 3 years from the date of submission.
Old Jul 8th 2023, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

heritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond reputeheritagestanley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Travelkid0
Why would you wanna do that...taxes are high as f**k... Get some other EU passport and just live in Italy
I'm not sure that's a very helpful comment. Apart from anything else someone who lives in Italy for most of the time will be liable to Italian taxes, regardless of nationality
Old Jul 8th 2023, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by philat98
I think it takes around 3 years from the date of submission.
Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point

This is written on the portal:

"Disposizioni concernenti i termini di definizione dei procedimenti di cittadinanza

L’art. 4, comma 5 ha stabilito il termine di 24 mesi prorogabili fino al massimo di 36 mesi per le istanze presentate dal 20.12.2020 in poi."

I'm not 100% sure if you are going the marriage or residence route from the post, but some of the info will be the same.I made the list below when I did my application if it's useful to you or anyone else.

How to apply for Italian citizenship - residency (correct as of 2023)

Based on info from https://www.facebook.com/groups/APPL...IANCITIZENSHIP

Register with SPID here: https://portaleservizi.dlci.interno..../logoutAli.htm

Birth Certificate
  • Original certified copy of birth certificate
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate
  • Get an apostille for document in UK
https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised
  • Get document translated into Italian and legalized in Italy. (Apostille, translation and legalisation not required for Italian birth certificates.)
ACRO Police Certificate
  • Original police criminal check certificate from the UK (can get this doc sent straight to apostille office)
https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Ce...es_Online.aspx
  • Get an apostille for document in UK
  • Get document translated into Italian & legalized in Italy (even for those who were born in Italy or arrived before the age of 14).
Note: If you have lived in other countries (from the age of 14) you will also need certificates from those countries. NB – This must be no older than 6 months at the date of submission.
  • Copy of a valid passport
  • Copy of a valid Carta d’Identità
  • Copy of your Attestazione di Soggiorno (Permanente)
  • Last 3 years income tax returns – (Modello CU, Unico & modello 730).
Note: you need to insert your annual income into the module but do not need to upload the tax returns. See note below regarding ‘reddito imponibile’.
  • Receipt to show you have paid the required €250 to “conto corrente n.809020 intestato a: Ministero dell’interno D.L.C.I. - Cittadinanza, causale: ‘Cittadinanza - contributo di cui all'art.1, c.12, l. 94/2009’
  • Marca da bollo €16. You will need to insert the serial number from the marca da bollo into your application and present the same at your interview.
  • B1 Cittadinanza certificate
Info on phases of citizenship: https://www.cittadinanza.biz/nuove-f...kS7yLKNXkF6MyI

Ministero dell’interno: [email protected]

Translators list: List of translators and interpreters in Italy - GOV.UK

Questionnaire:(if this is listed on the portal as a requirement, I would recommend doing it, but I also heard it was being phased out, so check on the portal. I did it because it was a requirement on the portal. I know some other applicants didn't.)

1. Da quanto tempo vive in Italia?

2. Come mai ha scelto l’Italia quale luogo di vita è dei suoi interessi?

3. Quali sono i motivi che la spingono a chiedere la cittadinanza?

4. Come è composta la sua famiglia?

5. I suoi familiari vivono in Italia con lei? Se vivono altrove perché?

6. Quali sono le attività lavorative che ha svolto da quando è in Italia?

7. Qual è il suo lavoro attuale?

8. Il suo coniuge lavora?

9. Qual è il percorso scolastico dei suoi figli? .

10. Se non sono più in età scolare, i suoi figli lavorano?

11. Quali sono i suoi mezzi di sostentamento?

12. Ha sempre adempiuto agli obblighi fiscali?

13. Ha mai usufruito di benefici statali connessi alla perdita di lavoro?

14. Ha una casa in affitto o in proprietà?

15. Come ha imparato la lingua italiana? Ha frequentato corsi?

16. Partecipa ad associazioni o segue attività nel suo quartiere/comune di residenza?

17. Conosce la struttura politica ed amministrativa dell’Italia?

18. Conosce la costituzione italiana nei suoi principi generali? E le leggi italiane?

19. Ritiene di rispettare le regole di convivenza civile dell’ordinamento italiano?

20. Ha mai commesso fatti penalmente rilevanti o ritenuto comportamenti scorretti o pericolosi per la comunità nazionale?

Here is a link to another thread if useful. Applying for citizenship

In bocca al lupo.

Last edited by Solarcower; Jul 18th 2023 at 10:32 am. Reason: clarity