Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Applying for citizenship

Applying for citizenship

Old Sep 10th 2022, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Solarcower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for citizenship

Hi, I checked the threads for citizenship and it only came up with ones from 2017/18, so apologies if there is a relevant one more recent. Feel free to move it if necessary.
I am going to apply for citizenship after just having met 10 years residency (I can't quite believe that - I remember this forum was really helpful before moving and since, and Lorna even called me up, so thanks for that!)
I wondered if anyone else is going or considering going through the process now? I just passed the B1 Cittadinanza exam, and I have a pdf download of the results, which I was told I can use to start the process while waiting for the certificate, but I also hear that you need the actual certificate to start, so reports are quite conflicting. I really don't know when to time the documents for. I want to get everything done asap because I am worried that the probable incoming government will make the waiting times longer and more complicated, as I believe they went back to two years recently after being four years. I can start the process of applying for docs and apostilles now, but don't know how long the B1 cert will take to arrive. Can anyone help with these questions:
  • Is the wait time for the B1 cittadinanza cert 4 months from results date or from the exam date?
  • When having the documents translated and legalised, is there a long waiting time for an appointment in general?
  • Is it a paper apostille, because there is the option of an e-apostille?
  • Have people done it alone or through a lawyer/company? I was quoted 350 Euro from a guy 'for his work' but it sounded like that was only to send the docs to the prefettura.
I am part of the FB group about Brits applying for citizenship, but wanted some different perspectives.
Thanks in advance, it's a daunting process before the wait times even kick in.
Old Sep 11th 2022, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship

Things were tricky enough before the language test. At least they are supposed to have reduced the waiting time to 2 years. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW This week I got an email from my local prefettura giving me a citizenship appointment date at the end of November, five years and two weeks after the date I submitted my citizenship application.
I imagine a couple of minor problems (Brexit and Covid) contributed to this duration.
I have not had a language proficiency test. The appointment information does not indicate this is required. I imagine my application submission date is a factor.
Have been asked to take a bollo for 16€.
Not sure what exactly will happen in November. Possibly the oath date will be given...?

Last edited by campos; Oct 20th 2022 at 1:01 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
FWIW This week I got an email from my local prefettura giving me a citizenship appointment date at the end of November, five years and two weeks after the date I submitted my citizenship application.
I imagine a couple of minor problems (Brexit and Covid) contributed to this duration.
I have not had a language proficiency test. The appointment information does not indicate this is required. I imagine my application submission date is a factor.
Not sure what exactly will happen on 24th November. Possibly the oath date will be given...?
They give you the certificato di cittadinanza at the Prefettura. Then you have to make an appointment with the comune where they register you as an Italian citizen. That's the bit where you must promise to give your life to your country if required. Then you can apply for an Id card at the comune. If you dont do the comune bit the citizenship is withdrawn.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
They give you the certificato di cittadinanza at the Prefettura. Then you have to make an appointment with the comune where they register you as an Italian citizen. That's the bit where you must promise to give your life to your country if required. Then you can apply for an Id card at the comune. If you dont do the comune bit the citizenship is withdrawn.
Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the info.
You can look on youtube as to swearing the oath. Some folks get their photo taken. Mine was just administrative and 2 years ago so things may have changed.
I hope Meloni doesnt think of revoking them.
Old Oct 21st 2022, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

tpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant futuretpw21 has a brilliant future

Not sure what exactly will happen in November. Possibly the oath date will be given...?
I’d imagine you’d be exempt due to the date of submission, so wouldn’t worry.
Old Nov 3rd 2022, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The emailed notification letter I referred to above was originally sent raccomandata to my old address, since obviously I wasn't there to receive it.
Can anyone confirm that I will need to submit an original posted notification letter when I visit ?
The screenshot here says that the original is required, as I understand it, and a photocopy of it.

Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, a long time! Yeah you applied before the language test was brought in.
Did you do all aspects of the application yourself (i.e. without assistance from a lawyer?
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

An update re: my original questions if it's useful for anyone.
  • Is the wait time for the B1 cittadinanza cert 4 months from results date or from the exam date? I did the exam in July, cert is ready now (got an email last week) however, the May session people also have only just received notification that their certificates are ready, so seems to vary. I guess doing it in summer sped it up because fewer people take the exam then.
  • When having the documents translated and legalised, is there a long waiting time for an appointment in general?
  • Is it a paper apostille, because there is the option of an e-apostille? It's a paper one.
  • Have people done it alone or through a lawyer/company? I was quoted 350 Euro from a guy 'for his work' but it sounded like that was only to send the docs to the prefettura.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Solarcower
Wow, a long time! Yeah you applied before the language test was brought in.
Did you do all aspects of the application yourself (i.e. without assistance from a lawyer?
yes. Just help from an Italian friend.
Old Nov 25th 2022, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Yesterday i got my certificate and made booking for the giuramento. It's next May, just two weeks before the six month deadline is up. It was the earliest available date. Incredibile.
Old Nov 25th 2022, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Yesterday i got my certificate and made booking for the giuramento. It's next May, just two weeks before the six month deadline is up. It was the earliest available date. Incredibile.
I wouldn't accept that. If for any reason you cant make the appointment you lose the application. It only takes 15 minutes.
Old Nov 25th 2022, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=philat98;13156704]I wouldn't accept that. If for any reason you cant make the appointment you lose the application. It only takes 15 minutes.[/QUOTE

How would you suggest I start an argument with Italian bureaucracy?
Yes , I'm sure the procedure is short. In fact they offered me several time slots on the day. I'll have to make sure I don't miss it then.
Old Nov 25th 2022, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=campos;13156705]
Originally Posted by philat98
I wouldn't accept that. If for any reason you cant make the appointment you lose the application. It only takes 15 minutes.[/QUOTE

How would you suggest I start an argument with Italian bureaucracy?
Yes , I'm sure the procedure is short. In fact they offered me several time slots on the day. I'll have to make sure I don't miss it then.
If you are in a small comune you could try speaking to the mayor. A call from a lawyer might do something.

Last edited by philat98; Nov 25th 2022 at 11:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.