British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Fat people - I need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/fat-people-i-need-help-789361/)

The4BellsLondon Apr 17th 2013 8:11 pm

Re: Fat people - I need help

try the links etc in this
hmm no link hang on

The4BellsLondon Apr 17th 2013 8:15 pm

BMR calculations – weight loss

To find out the right number of calories in vs. calories out to reach your fitness goal, calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR) by plugging your information into this formula:

Women:
BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) +
(4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

Men:
BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) +
(12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in year)

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser...alculator/bmr/
this link does the first bit for you :)
Me:
5’7”
140lbs
45 yr old Female

1360.4 calories per day just to function

Then add in the level of exercise etc so I would put myself between levels 3 and 4 , so maybe multiply by 1.6

Grand Total of: 2176.64 Calories

Ok so that’s fine – that’s to exist as I am. But if I want to lose weight?

There are conflicting thoughts that 1lb of fat is the equivalent of 2200 to 3700 calories (dam!!)

SO. . For each 1lb of weight you wish to lose you need to cut the equivalent calories out of your diet . . .hence we should be looking at 1 to 2 lbs A WEEK/ 2 weeks. . Don’t beat yourself if you don’t lose 1lb a day - realistically you shouldn’t!

So for me:
2176 x 7 = 15,236 cals a week
Minus approx 3500 to lose a 1lb
11736 per week divided by 7
gives me
1676 a day!

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 17th 2013 9:33 pm

This thread is an interesting read, will give you that..

When your fad diet is done, do you think you might revert to some kind of sustainable programme?

Your muscles will be depleting with what you are doing, I am not repeating what others are now saying.

Will keep reading though

duffer Apr 19th 2013 1:27 pm

And what is a sustainable programme? Eastenders?

Bells, my BMR is 1836 and I'm between levels 1 and 2 so I need 2387 calories per day.

Just in case anyone is interested. I am at 82.0kg today, completed exactly 6 weeks of this diet however for the last 2 weeks my fasting days have been slightly relaxed, i.e. I may have consumed more than the 600 calories recommended. Maybe around 1000 calories instead. Therefore I have not seen any weight loss. I am pleased however that I have not regained the 3.3kg already lost.

Also, for the last 2 weeks or so I have done little exercise due to my bad back apart from walking.

No sex either.

With the OH.

SirTK Apr 20th 2013 5:35 am

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10667866)

Also, for the last 2 weeks or so I have done little exercise due to my bad back apart from walking.

No sex either.

With the OH.

In order to get better at sex you need to practice a lot on your own.

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 26th 2013 12:24 pm

This thread has ended?

Nellybell Apr 26th 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10668994)
In order to get better at sex you need to practice a lot on your own.

he must be busy practising ;)

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 30th 2013 8:34 am

Maybe he will return with a dramatic announcement of success

I always find it interesting to read weightloss and training threads as they usually fizzle, I get asked a lot about training for a specific sport and always say to people please post the information after 6 months on how you did, rarely happens!

Since it is warmer now I came down from 82kgs to 74kgs since this thread started, i have no more to lose, eating small and regular, exercise

no tricks and no fads

ciao

Pecora Nera Apr 30th 2013 9:00 am

I think Duffer gave an update 11 days ago.

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 9:24 am

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10684764)
Maybe he will return with a dramatic announcement of success

I always find it interesting to read weightloss and training threads as they usually fizzle, I get asked a lot about training for a specific sport and always say to people please post the information after 6 months on how you did, rarely happens!

Since it is warmer now I came down from 82kgs to 74kgs since this thread started, i have no more to lose, eating small and regular, exercise

no tricks and no fads

ciao

Yes I tend to agree with your approach. For me the equation is quite simple you need to reduce calories in or increase calories burnt (or ideally do both).

I also think you need to consider a lifestyle change not just a diet if you are to keep the weight off permanently. That is why people yo-yo on their weight diet-no diet-diet-no diet etc etc.

well done on your weight loss, impressive numbers :thumbup:

RedDragon2008 Apr 30th 2013 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10582471)
I bet if you cut out the alcohol and just drank water for the next two months, you'd lose weight.

Having said that, when I tried it, I didn't even last a week.

Water is the most underestimated variable in weight loss if not overall health.

You must keep yourself hydrated.

Great habit is everytime you enter the kitchen you drink a glass of water from the tap.

Most of the time the danger is you are bored or looking for a break and make that into a snack break rather than walking into the garden for a stretch or potter around the garden beds.

No alcohol
No caffeine
No sugar drinks - that includes juice

Herbal tea/Water

Chicken/Fish/Loads of Vegetables
Steamed is the best along with poached

Decent breakfast - no excuse if you claim you dont normally have breakfast.

Porridge even if slightly sweetended - the benefit is those oats, just dont add more sugar to already presweetened packets.
Mueslis
Boiled eggs

Tuna with salad for lunch

Try lots of small meals ie 8 to 10 small meals evenly spread out during the day.

Regular exercise - Very easy to do 5km to 8km walking after 6 weeks of gradual building up. Get up early get it done then your done for the day.

:)

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 (Post 10684861)

No alcohol
No caffeine
No sugar drinks - that includes juice

I agree with all you say other than those 3. Instead I offer:

Alcohol (preferably red wine :thumbup:) in moderation
Caffeine in moderation (we are in Italy for flips sake - no coffee :thumbdown:)
Sugar drinks in moderation

all things in moderation, including moderation ;)

RedDragon2008 Apr 30th 2013 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10684897)
I agree with all you say other than those 3. Instead I offer:

Alcohol (preferably red wine :thumbup:) in moderation
Caffeine in moderation (we are in Italy for flips sake - no coffee :thumbdown:)
Sugar drinks in moderation

all things in moderation, including moderation ;)

Red Wine has alcohol in it:sneaky:

Yes but I would encourage at least a few days detox to help traction on the program:)

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 30th 2013 11:51 am

A few things at this point about the few kgs I lost

1. I posted my pic at 82kgs my current profile pic and dropped 8kgs to now be at 74kgs, gone from 34 to 32 waist, I am not skinny or weak, I can do over 80 pushups, 15 pulls ups on a good day, bench well over my body weight, I do exercises for overall fitness and cycle maybe 100km per week up and down the side of a mountain.

None of this is written to try and show off or impress that is not my intention. I am putting my remarks into context for you and answering in advance any questions about, yes but are you fit, strong etc answer is yes all round. I did want to post on this thread but it seems like the offering of advice had become competitive ! and I gave up at the stage that no one else offered up their picture and continued to post about fad diets.

2. I am 38 and same height as OP so age, height and weight were quite similar hence my interest in this thread and the OPs progress.

3. Again i do not want to blow trumpet but to put in context, I did a sport where power was very important and was one of the best in europe, it is a popular sport and I am often asked for tips or training etc.. people rarely follow through to a conclusion which gives me a little bit of an attitude on this stuff.

4. Fad diets, IMO are just that, anyone who can work a computer can figure out that certain ways of living are not sustainable for your lifetime.

Move around, eat good stuff in small amounts more frequently than you currently do and add some strength training and you WILL lose weight, feel better and you will be giving your body what it needs each day too.

4. I do not on any day deny myself anything with the exception of alcohol which I quit some year ago, it is no way to live to say I cannot have this or that or tomorrow I can! Moderation is just that.

5. Focus on making meals as flavoursome as you can, I find this really is very easy in Italy! (I will normally eat pasta from bowls rather than plates, reason being the max portion size is significantly less) i never ever feel hungry or unsatisfied after meals.

6. last year put 75g of pasta in plastic cups (The purpose was purely to see over a period of 2 weeks what a portion looks like).. do you know what 75g looks like? to save you time, it will fill a plastic cup to the brim and that is a portion of pasta

7. FYI I weighed myself twice, once at the start once a couple of days back, a lifestyle change is what you need and if you live the lifestyle it does not matter what the scales say on any given day, you WILL be in shape, just so long as what you do is sustainable long term.

Notes.

1. I did not want to piss on the orignal posters chips whilst he seemed enthusiastic but there is a tendency for people to have seasonal weight loss and 3kgs over 7 weeks or whatever it is, with days denying yourself food and so on seems to me like a path that will end without a result..

When the girl who I was a bit sharp with mentioned she spoke to a doctor then another about training and offered this fact as a reason her opinion was perhaps more valid, i could have then said, oh by the way I speak to nutritionists, professional trainers and athletes every day because I work with a sports nutrition company (But I did not as her CV was there to convince you about this fad diet) I merely asked that anyone offering advice post up their pictures so we know the athletes that are offering this non standard training info.

3. I was not on a diet, I was improving my fitness.

FAD DIETS DO NOT WORK.. this is my opinion and this thread is about a fad diet

I enjoyed it though, hope OP comes back with progress

ciao

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 (Post 10684972)
Red Wine has alcohol in it:sneaky:

Yes but I would encourage at least a few days detox to help traction on the program:)

:rofl::rofl:

D'accordo