British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Fat people - I need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/fat-people-i-need-help-789361/)

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Fat people - I need help

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685046)

.... and I gave up at the stage that no one else offered up their picture and continued to post about fad diets. some of us aren't photogenic

Move around, eat good stuff in small amounts more frequently than you currently do and add some strength training and you WILL lose weight, feel better and you will be giving your body what it needs each day too. wise words

7. FYI I weighed myself twice, yes right approachonce at the start once a couple of days back, a lifestyle change is what you need and if you live the lifestyle it does not matter what the scales say on any given day, you WILL be in shape, just so long as what you do is sustainable long term.

FAD DIETS DO NOT WORK.. this is my opinion and this thread is about a fad diet
agreed

Totally agree with you on fad diets but Duffer has asked for help and the thread is about helping him not fad diets. As we have both indicated it is a lifestyle change not a fad diet that delivers long term results.

Do bear in mind Duffer stated upfront that he is not going to exercise his way thinner like you (and I, if this knee thing heals).

FYI I am a masters athlete and qualified coach in a sport that is probably not entirely unrelated to what I think you do. Therefore, I recognize many of the things you say about people coming for advice - you are not wrong!!

My view is the fad diet is a deviation from the intent of the thread that is about helping Duffer so let us get back on track.

Duffer - how goes it?

SirTK Apr 30th 2013 2:28 pm

Hate to say it, but most of what 6 months and RedDragon advise is simply not what normal people do in the normal course of their lives - no alcohol? - that's really bad advice for most people because it devalues everything else you say.

And I wonder why 6 months needed to lose 8kg in a quite short time if control of weight is so obvious and easy - what caused you to be 8kg overweight?

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10685315)
And I wonder why 6 months needed to lose 8kg in a quite short time if control of weight is so obvious and easy - what caused you to be 8kg overweight?

For me it was going from running 30-40 miles a week to none (injury).

The4BellsLondon Apr 30th 2013 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10685321)
For me it was going from running 30-40 miles a week to none (injury).

Bugger - hope it heals quick / you must be itching to get out!

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10685350)
Bugger - hope it heals quick / you must be itching to get out!

you are not kidding - eventually had an op in December and then managed to get 3 weeks on full time physio/rehab in Mar and I am now on a strengthening programme at my locla gym with some acqua jogging to keep the cardio going. Jogged a couple of km on the beach on Saturday and a pretty hilly 1 km on Sunday (first runs since October) and could barely walk Monday so still a long way to go.

The4BellsLondon Apr 30th 2013 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10685373)
you are not kidding - eventually had an op in December and then managed to get 3 weeks on full time physio/rehab in Mar and I am now on a strengthening programme at my locla gym with some acqua jogging to keep the cardio going. Jogged a couple of km on the beach on Saturday and a pretty hilly 1 km on Sunday (first runs since October) and could barely walk Monday so still a long way to go.

Can you use a stationary recumbent bike?

Garbatellamike Apr 30th 2013 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10685397)
Can you use a stationary recumbent bike?

yes I can and also am now allowed to cycle but main effort is to build up leg strength so that I can single leg press 125% of body weight, which is what physio wants me to do before resuming training

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 30th 2013 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10685315)
Hate to say it, but most of what 6 months and RedDragon advise is simply not what normal people do in the normal course of their lives - no alcohol? - that's really bad advice for most people because it devalues everything else you say.

I posted my pic at 82kgs also not photogenic perhaps but not exactly overweight.

I have dropped to 74kgs and am in very good shape I have the physique of a competitive swimmer I suppose is the best description.

A lot of the difference is in my legs as I used to to cycle the flat and march with a pack (Producing big muscles) and have been doing lots of climbs (One recent ascent is a straight climb from 0 feet altitude to 6500 feet) also not been using weights, climbing steep hills makes your body adapt so i have become very trim and fit.

Again the picture of me is me at 82kgs, if you believe this is fat then I was fat apparently

P.S the no alcohol bit is nothing to do with weight, I just quit as I noticed I felt better in general whilst playing football etc... I do not recommend you stop anything simply to lose weight

SirTK Apr 30th 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685584)
I have dropped to 74kgs and am in very good shape I have the physique of a competitive swimmer I suppose is the best description.

A lot of the difference is in my legs as I used to to cycle the flat and march with a pack (Producing big muscles) and have been doing lots of climbs (One recent ascent is a straight climb from 0 feet altitude to 6500 feet) also not been using weights, climbing steep hills makes your body adapt so i have become very trim and fit.

Exactly what I mean - none of that stuff is what normal people do in the normal course of their lives.

Bear in mind that the Duffer asked "Fat people I need your help" so maybe some of the stuff you advise is a bit out of context?

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 30th 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685046)

2. I am 38 and same height as OP so age, height and weight were quite similar hence my interest in this thread and the OPs progress.

ciao

Are you only 38 ?

Why is it that I imagined you to be older?
Perhaps it's the 6 months here and 6 months there that made me think you were retired and could spend the winter months here.

I should know by now not to judge or make assumptions.

Anyway ..... show us your pecs :rofl:

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 30th 2013 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza (Post 10685743)
Are you only 38 ?

Why is it that I imagined you to be older?
Perhaps it's the 6 months here and 6 months there that made me think you were retired and could spend the winter months here.

I should know by now not to judge or make assumptions.

Anyway ..... show us your pecs :rofl:

I am very grumpy so often I assumed to be much older:D

6monthshere6monthsthere Apr 30th 2013 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by SirTK (Post 10685730)
Exactly what I mean - none of that stuff is what normal people do in the normal course of their lives.

Bear in mind that the Duffer asked "Fat people I need your help" so maybe some of the stuff you advise is a bit out of context?

What does a normal person do? Going for a bike ride is pretty normal, going for a walk is also..

I think the forum title is a little tongue in cheek and the OP wanted opinion and input from all, really why would you only want to know Fat peoples opinion on how to lose weight? That is like asking vegans which bacon is the tastiest

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 30th 2013 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685820)

:rofl:

Too grumpy to be only 38. Get into happy hour and get some drinks in !

Lorna at Vicenza Apr 30th 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685832)
What does a normal person do? Going for a bike ride is pretty normal, going for a walk is also..

I think the forum title is a little tongue in cheek and the OP wanted opinion and input from all, really why would you only want to know Fat peoples opinion on how to lose weight? That is like asking vegans which bacon is the tastiest

My normal day includes as little programmed exercise as possible.

I cannot plan it. I can walk to a shop, pick up bread and walk back. Bollocks, perhaps I'm not supposed to buy the bread?

I do the stairs upstairs a lot. I have good legs and a great arse. Middle section getting a bit wobbly.

duffer Apr 30th 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by 6monthshere6monthsthere (Post 10685820)

You're grumpy because you're constipated. At least, I always get that impression.

Listen, I asked for help for a specific purpose and most of you peeps have been great. I'm doing what I'm doing and it works for me. I've lost 4kg in almost 8 weeks and I can fit into jeans that wouldn't even button up last summer guys.

What have I given up? Beer and bread. Even so, not cut them out completely. I'm still drinking lots of wine and eating lots of chocolate. Am I doing much exercise? No, not really. What I have learned is to moderate on some days. Other days I treat myself a lot. And I'm still a sexy mutha****er!

Incidently, most folk, especially Mike and SirTK, have understood me and my requirements whereas 6months has spectacularly failed to consider my objectives. I am not interested in this type of obnoxious preaching.

BTW Why fat people? I can relate to them. Whether it's chocolate, wine or sex: I binge. And fat people usually got fat because they ate a shitload. I realised that I could head in that direction unless I did something so I may have lost only 4kg which might not be a lot but I know that if I hadn't done something I would be closer to 90kg instead of 80kg today (81.4kg).

If I wanted to cycle 50km I'd do it on a motorcycle.