British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Fat people - I need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/fat-people-i-need-help-789361/)

duffer Mar 14th 2013 1:53 pm

Re: Fat people - I need help

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 10603253)
Duffer. I am avidly following your dieting dilemma from Toronto. Can I have an update please? have you lost any weight on your new 5/2 diet.

Hello Miss Clinique,

OK. Today is the 7th day of this diet and my 3rd fasting day. This diet appealed to me initially because you don't have to give up anything supposedly and also because of the health aspects (my mum has diabetes and at my age I am more and more concerned with my health for the sake of my son who will be 5 in July) but above all because I wanted to lose some fat. I started at 85.3kg last Friday and I have been going up and down, peaking at 85.5kg and with the lowest being this morning at 84.7kg.

I prefer to weigh myself everyday as rather than being depressed if I've gone up I try and use the weight to try better for the next day. Doesn't always work. It never worked in the past actually!

So far, I am quite pleased. My previous attempts at diets usually lasted 2 to 3 days so considering I've gone more than double my usual distance is saying something.

Have I given up anything? like booze? No, I drank quite a bit of wine at the weekend and had a couple of glasses last night with dinner. I have cut out the snacks though apart from one day in which I had a couple of low calorie breakfast bars at work and lots of liquorice candy. One thing I have noticed this past week is that I have been more concerned about calories on my 'normal' days. I admit, I am usually very ignorant of the caloric intake of what I eat but being limited to just 600 calories on fasting days has made me more aware of the 'cost' of food in general. So, this past weekend, I had a couple of large meals, both including cream cakes for dessert but I cut out the chips and bread which I normally would've had.

How long will I go on with this diet? Do I really want to fast 100 or so days of the year? I think I will continue for as long as I can so that I can fit into my suits. Then, like others have posted previously on this thread, simply watch what I eat, do more exercise, cut out the bread, blah blah blah :) - in the end this is what I am doing but this diet has been the catalyst. In the meantime I will continue with this and see how it helps me get thru my birthday celebrations and Easter which you can translate as booze bender and chocolate egg overdose.

Marocco Mar 14th 2013 11:13 pm

Duffer: fasting, or eating only 600 kcal per day, is in general a very bad idea. If you do that you'll lose muscle to a large extent, which in turn leads to a lower basal metabolic rate (BMR). As a result, afterwards you'll be gaining weight by eating the amount of calories that earlier would have kept your weight stable.

If you want to minimise muscle loss you should be eating more protein. I would advise you to calculate your BMR using one of the many sites available, and aim for a few hundred kcal less than that, while increasing your protein intake (protein shakes, chicken breasts, etc). Ideally, you would be doing some weight training as well.

6monthshere6monthsthere Mar 14th 2013 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 10604516)
Duffer: fasting, or eating only 600 kcal per day, is in general a very bad idea. If you do that you'll lose muscle to a large extent, which in turn leads to a lower basal metabolic rate (BMR). As a result, afterwards you'll be gaining weight by eating the amount of calories that earlier would have kept your weight stable.

If you want to minimise muscle loss you should be eating more protein. I would advise you to calculate your BMR using one of the many sites available, and aim for a few hundred kcal less than that, while increasing your protein intake (protein shakes, chicken breasts, etc). Ideally, you would be doing some weight training as well.

:thumbsup:

angeli Mar 15th 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 10604516)

Unsure whether you have read the whole thread Marocco, but Duffer is not 'fasting', just spends 2 days a week (of his choice) limiting his calorie intake to 600, the other 5 days he eats (and drinks) as normal. As you say, eating only 600 cals a day seven days a week would be a very bad idea.....

duffer Mar 15th 2013 8:26 am

Good morning!

1 week completed and I have dropped down from 85.3kg to 83.3kg. I treated myself to a slice of cake and a cup of coffee this morning because for the last 36 hours I had eaten 1 carrot and 1 red apple totaling 150 calories.

My 3rd fasting day yesterday was the easiest actually, I had decided instead of dividing my 600 calorie allowance into 3 tiny meals (:rofl:) to skip breakfast, have a small snack at lunch and then a huge (again :rofl:) dinner. Oh and I drank a lot of water too this time - the previous 2 days I had drunk only tea (no milk or sugar). On the first 2 fasting days I was really hungry in the evening but yesterday I went to the gym for the postural exercises for 1hr, which are basically low impact aerobic exercises. When I got home I didn't feel hungry at all so I skipped dinner.

Today I will eat healthy stuff only (apart from the cake - almond foccacia) with chicken and vegetables for dinner. Tomorrow I will eat what I would normally and on Sunday I will have high calorie stuff, e.g. Burger King. So on Monday (my next fasting day) I will see what effect the weekend has had on my weight.

SirTK Mar 15th 2013 1:06 pm

Like you say, you're not going to be on any kind of diet long-term, but what should happen is that some of this stuff will become subconsciously habitual, so will stay within your psyche.

For me, Xmas was spent with great people in UK - a big test, but I came through relatively OK and am looking forward to greater things now I'm back in Italy. I do find it much easier to eat healthily in Italy.

duffer Mar 15th 2013 1:57 pm

Yes I think you are right, I have found that I am looking at the calories on my normals days and avoiding certain 'normal' foods with a high caloric value. I am hoping this diet will have some psychological effect similar to hypotism so that I will resist bingeing.

It's really difficult for me too when in the UK to eat healthily due to the amount of junk and 'goodies' on offer at the supermarkets, i.e. BOGOF. I'm a sucker for a bargain! It's also nice to meet up with mates at a curry house or a huge pub lunch, etc.

SirTK Mar 15th 2013 4:50 pm

Curry house - mmmmmmm. Huge pub lunch - mmmmmmm.

I golf for exercise; a 5 mile walk with a lot of thrashing about is really good for you. I try to play 3 times a week, but that also means 3 lots of apres golf which consists of pints of Guinness and bowls of freshly cooked chips.

The intentions are good but I do feel circumstances work against us sometimes.

Miss Clinique Mar 15th 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10603464)
Hello Miss Clinique,

OK. Today is the 7th day of this diet and my 3rd fasting day. This diet appealed to me initially because you don't have to give up anything supposedly and also because of the health aspects (my mum has diabetes and at my age I am more and more concerned with my health for the sake of my son who will be 5 in July) but above all because I wanted to lose some fat. I started at 85.3kg last Friday and I have been going up and down, peaking at 85.5kg and with the lowest being this morning at 84.7kg.

I prefer to weigh myself everyday as rather than being depressed if I've gone up I try and use the weight to try better for the next day. Doesn't always work. It never worked in the past actually!

So far, I am quite pleased. My previous attempts at diets usually lasted 2 to 3 days so considering I've gone more than double my usual distance is saying something.

Have I given up anything? like booze? No, I drank quite a bit of wine at the weekend and had a couple of glasses last night with dinner. I have cut out the snacks though apart from one day in which I had a couple of low calorie breakfast bars at work and lots of liquorice candy. One thing I have noticed this past week is that I have been more concerned about calories on my 'normal' days. I admit, I am usually very ignorant of the caloric intake of what I eat but being limited to just 600 calories on fasting days has made me more aware of the 'cost' of food in general. So, this past weekend, I had a couple of large meals, both including cream cakes for dessert but I cut out the chips and bread which I normally would've had.

How long will I go on with this diet? Do I really want to fast 100 or so days of the year? I think I will continue for as long as I can so that I can fit into my suits. Then, like others have posted previously on this thread, simply watch what I eat, do more exercise, cut out the bread, blah blah blah :) - in the end this is what I am doing but this diet has been the catalyst. In the meantime I will continue with this and see how it helps me get thru my birthday celebrations and Easter which you can translate as booze bender and chocolate egg overdose.

Hi Duffer

Thanks for the update. Seems as if you are coping well with it. I will track your progress, then consider giving it a go my self. I need to lose about 6lbs, but it is proving to be really difficult.

duffer Mar 19th 2013 10:39 am

Just an update,

On Friday I was 83.3kg (started at 85.3kg) which was the lowest I have been in months. I had a busy weekend in terms of engagements, parties, etc. therefore I took this opportunity to test out this 'eat anything you want' part of the diet.

So on Saturday, I had just a cappuccino for breakfast, grilled fish & veg with a couple of glasses of wine for lunch then in the afternoon I went to a children's party and really enjoyed myself (and no, I don't mean playing musical chairs and have my face painted) eating pizza, cake, more cake, beer, sweets, cake, spritz, cake and a small diet Coke. In the evening I was still quite full so had a large fruit salad for dinner. But this wasn't enough because eventually I ate a Magnum ice cream and some crisps later.

Sunday my weight was at 84.1kg. I skipped breakfast but had a heavy lunch: a chicken sandwich meal from McDs. For dinner I had some more grilled fish and salad.

On Monday my weight was 85.1kg. So I basically put everything back on that I had previously lost on this diet. However, Monday is my fasting day (the 4th in total). I have found that my last 2 fasting days have been particularly easy to get through. My weight this morning (Tuesday) is back down to 84.1kg. I will continue to eat normally, i.e. not excessively, paying attention to limit bread, pasta and fatty foods until my next fasting day, planned for Thursday.

On a side note, I went to see the doctor today and he gave me the thumbs down for this diet. His recommendation is obviously to reduce your daily calories, cut out oil, butter and bread and walk more everyday, much like all the other good advice received on this thread. He also gave me the tickets for various blood checks including the PSA. I don't see this as a long term diet in anycase.

SirTK Mar 19th 2013 4:53 pm

Those daily variations are bound to happen - that's why it's important to keep a running weekly average, i.e. every day you take the average of the previous 7 days. That evens out the fluctuations and gives you a genuine picture of trend.

Oh and McD's, cake and sweets are really not too good. Most of the other stuff e.g. beer, crisps and Magnums are of course essentials and should be kept in any healthy diet. Just don't be tempted away from Classics, as those double chocolate caramelly things are too sickly.

Terry

6monthshere6monthsthere Mar 19th 2013 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by duffer (Post 10612259)
Just an update,

On Friday I was 83.3kg (started at 85.3kg) which was the lowest I have been in months. I had a busy weekend in terms of engagements, parties, etc. therefore I took this opportunity to test out this 'eat anything you want' part of the diet.

So on Saturday, I had just a cappuccino for breakfast, grilled fish & veg with a couple of glasses of wine for lunch then in the afternoon I went to a children's party and really enjoyed myself (and no, I don't mean playing musical chairs and have my face painted) eating pizza, cake, more cake, beer, sweets, cake, spritz, cake and a small diet Coke. In the evening I was still quite full so had a large fruit salad for dinner. But this wasn't enough because eventually I ate a Magnum ice cream and some crisps later.

Sunday my weight was at 84.1kg. I skipped breakfast but had a heavy lunch: a chicken sandwich meal from McDs. For dinner I had some more grilled fish and salad.

On Monday my weight was 85.1kg. So I basically put everything back on that I had previously lost on this diet. However, Monday is my fasting day (the 4th in total). I have found that my last 2 fasting days have been particularly easy to get through. My weight this morning (Tuesday) is back down to 84.1kg. I will continue to eat normally, i.e. not excessively, paying attention to limit bread, pasta and fatty foods until my next fasting day, planned for Thursday.

On a side note, I went to see the doctor today and he gave me the thumbs down for this diet. His recommendation is obviously to reduce your daily calories, cut out oil, butter and bread and walk more everyday, much like all the other good advice received on this thread. He also gave me the tickets for various blood checks including the PSA. I don't see this as a long term diet in anycase.

I like how you said OBVIOUSLY, well why not just do that then, it is healthier and more sustainable!

6monthshere6monthsthere Mar 26th 2013 3:12 pm

weekly update?

abarrows46 Mar 27th 2013 3:14 am

proper diet, regular cardio exercise and discipline.. that's all you gotta do.

The4BellsLondon Mar 27th 2013 3:30 am

Ok I havent read the whole thread . . . . BUT weight is quite irrelevant . .

I am trying to find a photo i have of about 8 different women all at the same weight and height and how all look totally different -some obese - some musclebound.

its about physically feeling fit and seeing that muscle definition rather than wobble.

You can "diet", starve etc but until you find an eating pan that work for you it goes down and up . . . .

For me as gym instructor and a vegetarian that likes to drink.. in the summer i try to do at least 2 days a week of JUST fruit and veg, not always consecutive days.. BUT protein is what you still need.

However, I dont necessarily want a big meal. I like a protein shake after teaching, instead of maybe my lunch and or breakfast .

I have tried numerous. . . .OH lordy the effects on my stomach have been hideous- some make me look 6 months pregnant and my husband refuses to share the bed !!!

I know have it down to 2 types _my FAve is just being released in Europe / UK this month . . .. they do market it as a "diet type" product - 2 shakes a day, some farty arse "metabolism burner" tabs and a normal meal . . . .

I buy it in bulk now and just have a protein drink once a day - 120 cals if mixed with water, I prefer soy milk and a shed load of fruit as well and that keeps me going ..

any way thats my 2ps worth

keep it up :)