Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Aug 30th 2021, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Accetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond reputeAccetturese has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

I found a good recipe on YouTube for making Gregg's style cheese and onion pasties:
A good way to use up some of the mature cheddar that I stocked up with from Lidl!
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

SY108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by SanNico
Didn't the SV Brits boycott Lidl after they stopped selling the baked beans? I used to get the Dutch cucumbers there until Penny started stocking them.

Famila in SV also sell cheddar, usually sliced but you can ask them cut you a nice wedge. Occasionally IceBoy has it too.

Does anyone know where to buy Baked Beans in Genova or Milan?
We cannot find the Lidl ones in any store in Piemonte region, we haven't travelled to the UK for a long time and no plans for a few years, so stocking up there is not possible.
Welcome any suggestions. My daughter misses them so much she cannot stop talking about them.. I need help to satisfy her cravings.
Thanks
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

I can't give precise information for Genoa or Milan but in my experience you can sometimes find beans in Asian grocery shops. When I lived in Trento, there were a couple of stores, one run by a Chinese family, the other by an Indian one, and both stocked baked beans.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

I would make your own, cannelloni or haricot beans. Heat a little olive oil add herbs, spice of choice add a bit passata stirring all the time util you have the amount you prefer for your beans, then add the beans to the source and let them heat up. However If at all like our two were, then try the British Corner Shop (or Amazon), bit more expensive, but if needs must….
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I would make your own, cannelloni or haricot beans. Heat a little olive oil add herbs, spice of choice add a bit passata stirring all the time util you have the amount you prefer for your beans, then add the beans to the source and let them heat up. However If at all like our two were, then try the British Corner Shop (or Amazon), bit more expensive, but if needs must….
Waitrose Essentials baked beans from British Corner Shop are quite good, and not so pricy as the other brands.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SY108
Does anyone know where to buy Baked Beans in Genova or Milan?
We cannot find the Lidl ones in any store in Piemonte region, we haven't travelled to the UK for a long time and no plans for a few years, so stocking up there is not possible.
Welcome any suggestions. My daughter misses them so much she cannot stop talking about them.. I need help to satisfy her cravings.
Thanks
Coop round our way sell Heinz but they are expensive.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

They sell them on Amazon Italy. I agree with Geordieborn that homemade are a lot better.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thank you George,, I will try some of these locations when I am next in Milan..
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Home made does sound like a good plan,, I will experiment to see if they turn out edible and meet the expectations of my daughter. If not then tinned ones will be needed.. Thanks for all the suggestions...
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 9:57 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Asia/Africa little shops usually have them. The one in my town sells them at €1.50 a can. It also sells Exeter corned beef and loose leaf PG Tips (both expensive) and no Salad Cream.
There is also a supermarket called Famila - the larger one changed its name to Emisfero - and they sell Heinz beans at €2.35 a can. They are not in the tinned foods section but in the teeny weeny foreign foods section where they sell El Paso tacos and tortillas and Chinese noodles. Found some Lea Perrins Worcestershire Sauce there once. That wasn't cheap either.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Asia/Africa little shops usually have them. The one in my town sells them at €1.50 a can. It also sells Exeter corned beef and loose leaf PG Tips (both expensive) and no Salad Cream.
There is also a supermarket called Famila - the larger one changed its name to Emisfero - and they sell Heinz beans at €2.35 a can. They are not in the tinned foods section but in the teeny weeny foreign foods section where they sell El Paso tacos and tortillas and Chinese noodles. Found some Lea Perrins Worcestershire Sauce there once. That wasn't cheap either.

Thank you for this extra info.. A Friend managed to find me some Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce. I will find out where and post it here as supermarket prices of these are extortionate...
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing we really struggled to do without was marmite, hence we know about the British Corner Shop, just had a look and "Heinz Baked Beans 4 Pack" is £3.99 (£3.87 3+). No doubt delivery is still expensive, we bought x10 500g marmite jars (we all do like it) and ended up with free delivery at the time.... Beans will keep a long time!
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant futureLugsbug has a brilliant future

We found cider!!! Been here two years now and had never seen it in the supermarkets but went to Bennet this week and they had Thatcher's Gold at e2.50 a bottle. OH made a snakebite and I had black velvet - yummy
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SY108
Thank you for this extra info.. A Friend managed to find me some Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce. I will find out where and post it here as supermarket prices of these are extortionate...
LOL,I was gonna say try some L&P in the baked bean experiment.Trial and error.
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brian12
LOL,I was gonna say try some L&P in the baked bean experiment.Trial and error.

I will probably be on trial after my error in making them !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.