Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Mar 10th 2012, 6:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by pugliese
The only ceramic pot I have used is the "pignata" for octopus or pulses or horse meat on the fireplace. Do you use the ceramic pots on the hob or in the oven?

P.S. I don't doubt for one minute you are a good cook, I was referring to your colourful language
Actually, I should have said "terracotta" rather than ceramic.

These kind of pots can be used both on the gas flame hob and inside the oven. They're great for simmering things away slowly on the cooker or casseroles and stews etc. in the oven.
Attached Thumbnails The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.-home1.jpg  
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by pugliese
I'll send you some Lenor back, if it bursts at least it will smell nice
I finally found Lenor in our Acqua e Sapone on saturday .. it seems to be working its way north !
Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Actually, I should have said "terracotta" rather than ceramic.
Also known as "coccio". They're great, I agree! My wife would never use a metal saucepan for making ragù.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:58 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the US Army base in Vicenza today. It's got a shopping mall inside and it felt like I was in America. Everything was priced in US dollars with no sales taxes so a lot cheaper than elsewhere in Italy.

And a lot of junk food available - the really bad stuff that tastes great and that's almost impossible to find in Italy
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:08 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Went to the US Army base in Vicenza today. It's got a shopping mall inside and it felt like I was in America. Everything was priced in US dollars with no sales taxes so a lot cheaper than elsewhere in Italy.

And a lot of junk food available - the really bad stuff that tastes great and that's almost impossible to find in Italy
How did you manage to get in there?
Have you been making friends with soldiers?
Did you buy loads of junk then?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:08 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't like men in uniform. I've made friends with a mother of one of the kids in Brando's swimming classes who just happens to be friends with the best friend of the OH. She's married to a marine but has a pass which also allows for 2 guests and as many children as possible. So we went bowling with the kids!! Of course I also stocked up on Reese's Pieces and peanut butter cups. There's so much stuff it was too difficult to choose but I will go back soon. It's also good for electronic stuff, sports gear and children's clothing.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:17 am

No I don't like men in uniform. I've made friends with a mother of one of the kids in Brando's swimming classes who just happens to be friends with the best friend of the OH. She's married to a marine but has a pass which also allows for 2 guests and as many children as possible. So we went bowling with the kids!! Of course I also stocked up on Reese's Pieces and peanut butter cups. There's so much stuff it was too difficult to choose but I will go back soon. It's also good for electronic stuff, sports gear and children's clothing.
Sounds like a good day.

I went in there a few times many, many years ago - I was friends with an officer there.

I did some shopping, had lunch in the officer's club. Once went to the cinema there and another time to the 4th July party.
I remember buying bacon and a sliced loaf. There was no sliced bread in Italy apart from that horrible square, dry stuff for toasted sandwiches.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:13 am
Pull my finger

Bacon?! I will be better prepared next time and make a list. The cinema sounds great, they have all the latest films out in the States. Did you know another 4000 families are coming over to the base within the next 1-2 years?
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:29 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Bacon?! I will be better prepared next time and make a list. The cinema sounds great, they have all the latest films out in the States. Did you know another 4000 families are coming over to the base within the next 1-2 years?
Heard that on the news. They showed the new base. All those Americans.

Happy Easter. Need to get cooking-food. Hubby said we should have gone to a restaurant. Now he say's it!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

I would never go near such a place on principle .. . what are they doing here' Why do we need more?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:16 am

Did you know another 4000 families are coming over to the base within the next 1-2 years?
Yeah I knew.
An architect I know wanted to put in for the building of the new "USA Village" and I helped him with the hundreds of pages of building specs.
You should have seen what they demand.
Even the size of the toilet roll holder was specified. It has to be bigger than the standard ones we have. They must have bigger toilet rolls than us - for their bigger arses perhaps

Not that I want to live with a bunch of Americans but any one of us would have been more than delighted with those houses. Each one had to have wireless and cable in each room. Each one had to have built in 'closets' and a plug for every metre of kitchen counter tops. Each house had to have a utility room, fitted kitchen with space left in it for an American big range/cooker and fridge freezer. Each 3 bedroom house had to have a family bathroom upstairs and a washroom and toilet downstairs. Under floor heating and air conditioning.

I could go and on.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

I could go and on.
Please don't.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Please don't.
enrol ?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
enrol ?
..that too.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 7:04 am
Pull my finger

Well you know that the Italians will literally bend over for anyone, they've done it in a big way for the Yanks.

The people I met there were generally nice, lots of American students working on the base and studying at the college there.

I would say it's good for the Italian economy but all the goods and services I saw were American, they even sell the big American gas-guzzling cars there, all at American dollar prices, without any tax. So I suppose it's the local restaurants and bars that benefit the most out of the local businesses. And the hookers!

BTW I've already finished a bag each of Reese's Pieces and Peanut Butter Cups!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.