Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Applying for a job in Italy

Applying for a job in Italy

Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a job in Italy

Originally Posted by criodain
I'm a bit thick really aren't I lol....

Yeah, I speak French as well, so hopefully that would stand to me. I sent off a few CVs in English (to sites with an English content section) last night to companies in Bologna, so I think I'll get a CV and cover letter translated into Italian as soon as I can for some other sites I was looking at (I would gladly pass it onto someone on here if they were in that line of work). I wouldn't trust myself to translate properly from English to Italian...

Reason I was wondering about manuals in English in Italy was that the company I worked for a few years ago were also based in Ireland and the UK, so I was getting all the docs from Italy, either badly translated or only in Italian.

But yes, if they export, they would need documentation in English (duh....)

I have a mate in Bologna and I've been there, so that's why I started with there, though in reality it could be more towards Torino or Milano where I should be looking.

I lived in Roma for 2 years before, and would prefer to live in a smaller city/town..

grazie

ciao
I can help you with a cover letter or anything else but I'm leaving on Sunday so if you don't already have something prepared it will have to wait until January.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

That would be great. I can't see much happening in the next week or so anyway, so I was going to hold off until January. I was going to review my CV and letter over the Christmas, and do some more research for companies to send it to, and just bang it out in the new year...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:19 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok then.

I wouldn't bother writing pages and pages of a CV either. Italians are not that big on them and most people don't seem to bother writing things like hobbies and interests - goals and ambitions etc.

Don't expect loads of replies either just because you have sent a CV. My old boss would never reply to any of them. he was too mean to pay for the stamps and it is not an expected courtesy here. He did keep them all in a file (well I did) so that we had names and numbers if a position became free but no answers were ever sent out.

Might be different now with email that doesn't cost but I still wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Yeah, I emailed the companies in question, so might follow them up myself after Christmas.

I remember applying out of curiosity to a company a few years ago in Rome, and they rang the house twice looking for me to do a phone interview. It's not like I had amazing work experience. I don't know how it will pan out, but I'll give it a shot. At least I know people in Bologna, Turin, etc. who know I'm on the look out...
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

so I sent off about 4 or 5 CVs to companies in Italy, but haven't even gotten an acknowledgement email yet. I suppose I shouldn't be jumping the gun and wait for a bit. Though seeing as it's xmas, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...