Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Applying for a job in Italy

Applying for a job in Italy

Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Applying for a job in Italy

Hello,

Just wondering if there are other good sites other than monster.it for applying for jobs.
I've worked for an Italian company before in Ireland, lived in Italy previously for 2 years, and a friend of mine sent on some companies and suggested I apply directly.
I don't really know what the current situation is like over there, but I speak Italian, so am hoping being a native English speaker with Italian could start me off on the right foot.
As I mentioned on another forum, I'm open to all avenues...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:57 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a job in Italy

Can I suggest giving at least a little indication of the type of work your looking for. All avenues is a bit too broad.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself very well, which means what follows will be ironic :curse:

Work: Technical Writing / Technical Translating

I did it before for 2 years for an Italian company in Ireland, but feel that being a native English speaker in Italy could be give me an advantage to try and return to this area.
I used to translate the technical documents or manuals, or proof read them and update them regularly.
a friend of mine sent me on a list of companies in Bologna, where he lives that he thinks may be worth a shot.
On monster.it, they only have one vacancy in Ravenna, but stress that the applicant should be living there. I'm living in Ireland at the moment, but would consider applying out of curiosity.

Surely, in a country the size of Italy, there must be at least a few more vacancies...

Some of the websites I saw have an English content section, but would I be right in saying it would be far better to send a CV in Italian?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of looking for a vacancy try typing "agenzie di traduzioni .............. " and the name of the town or city where you might be living in Italy into google.

Send them all a cv.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

Go and speak to Luigi, there is always a Luigi, he will know Franco that will know Luig's sister and there you go you will get a job. BUT do not forget to thank luigi
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Posh
Go and speak to Luigi, there is always a Luigi, he will know Franco that will know Luig's sister and there you go you will get a job. BUT do not forget to thank luigi
Yeah, haha, it's like that alright.

Thanks Lorna at Vicenza. I reckon I'd like to initially get into doing technical documents for a company rather than a translation agency, though I'm beginning to wonder why they would need English manuals in Italy....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:52 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

For machines that they sell abroad.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:33 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
Yeah, haha, it's like that alright.

Thanks Lorna at Vicenza. I reckon I'd like to initially get into doing technical documents for a company rather than a translation agency, though I'm beginning to wonder why they would need English manuals in Italy....
We translate our brochures (in Italian) into 3 languages: English, German and French. We would also do into Spanish and Russian if we could. You've got to look at the bigger picture - Export sales. Germany followed by France are Italy's biggest export partners therefore in addition to Italian, if you speak German or French, you'll be laughing (although not in German as we know they don't like humour and probably not in French either as they're probably too busy sneering) and should be able to get a job quite easily.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:44 pm

Why don't you do Spanish?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:46 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Same as Russian, we ain't got no Spanish speakers and the OH who does speak it will not translate for me.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:53 pm

Does that mean the company won't pay an outsider to translate then? It can't be hard to find someone with Spanish. I have given a few things to a Spanish girl I know in the past when I've done the English version.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a bit thick really aren't I lol....

Yeah, I speak French as well, so hopefully that would stand to me. I sent off a few CVs in English (to sites with an English content section) last night to companies in Bologna, so I think I'll get a CV and cover letter translated into Italian as soon as I can for some other sites I was looking at (I would gladly pass it onto someone on here if they were in that line of work). I wouldn't trust myself to translate properly from English to Italian...

Reason I was wondering about manuals in English in Italy was that the company I worked for a few years ago were also based in Ireland and the UK, so I was getting all the docs from Italy, either badly translated or only in Italian.

But yes, if they export, they would need documentation in English (duh....)

I have a mate in Bologna and I've been there, so that's why I started with there, though in reality it could be more towards Torino or Milano where I should be looking.

I lived in Roma for 2 years before, and would prefer to live in a smaller city/town..

grazie

ciao

Last edited by criodain; Dec 15th 2008 at 8:05 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:57 pm
Pull my finger

No they won't pay. I usually send the brochure in an open PDF format and the client translates it themselves.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:39 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

The way Electrolux is closing plants down and laying people off will there be any technical manuals still to translate?!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
The way Electrolux is closing plants down and laying people off will there be any technical manuals still to translate?!
That's what I'm wondering too.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.