Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Old Jan 26th 2021, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Watch what you bring the other way Brian, I suspect that may be more of a problem with HMRC Customs! You may need your receipt for your Rolex you took out of the UK to get it back in the country without import tax!
Old Jan 26th 2021, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
Watch what you bring the other way Brian, I suspect that may be more of a problem with HMRC Customs! You may need your receipt for your Rolex you took out of the UK to get it back in the country without import tax!
'I'm not Authur Daley,lol.I do have some gold stuff though,cheers.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordieborn
I suspect reading articles like this on the BBC it might be a bit of a pain crossing borders in a loaded car....
All of the "foreign gift or purchase stories" concern the free-market Brits imposing import duties (not tarrifs) as they used to in the old days - the only counter-propaganda the Brexiters can offer is about ham sandwiches!
Old Jan 26th 2021, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by philat98
I suspect these taxes might bankrupt a lot of small businesses.
I notice the British Embassy has posted plenty of pictures of people laughing and smiling to show how things have improved. Take a driving test if you arrived in 2021 ha ha ha! Get some private health insurance ha ha ha! The comments arent quite so positive.
https://m.facebook.com/ukinitaly/
Do you you think, Phil, that these happy people made it to Italy just in time and the Embassy were complicit in their escape?
Old Jan 26th 2021, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiminalpago
Do you you think, Phil, that these happy people made it to Italy just in time and the Embassy were complicit in their escape?
They seem oblivious of both Covid and Brexit. Enjoying the bella vita God knows when.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian12
I think the EU have shot themselves in the foot here.With so many expats owning homes not allowed a UK and a EU licence together.Thin end of the wedge I'm afraid.
UK chose to join the list of "3rd countries" (e.g. US). They always had the 90 day rule.
People voted for Brexit and for end of free movement. You realize that your p.port now gets stamped when entering. Better get stamped out on day 90. The fact that you own a house gives you no privilege.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

brian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to allbrian12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
UK chose to join the list of "3rd countries" (e.g. US). They always had the 90 day rule.
People voted for Brexit and for end of free movement. You realize that your p.port now gets stamped when entering. Better get stamped out on day 90. The fact that you own a house gives you no privilege.
Old news geeze sorted now.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by modicasa
To stay in Italy for more than 90 days you will need a Permesso di Soggiorno - whether this is for work, study, etc is your choice, but the most likely for homeowners would be elective residency. This means that you can stay and live in Italy until the expiry of your visa/PdS, but your tax affairs are still in your home country. You are not allowed to work in Italy in any way. Elective residency require a visa to be obtained before your arrival, and then the process of PdS started, with all that that entails. You will need to prove you have around 40.000 euros p.a for a couple, as well as health insurance etc. This is all standard for a non EU country, so its very unlikely that tehre will be a special reciprocal arrangement with the UK.
Hi Modicasa, what's your source for €40kpa? I thought I'd seen the number for proof of means was around the €8kpa mark. For example, I looked at what would be required for a freelancer visa and the esteri.it website mentioned the following numbers:

- Certificate of an abstract recognition of the resources necessary for the business, trade or craft activity to be undertaken, issued by the relevant Chamber of Commerce for the area where the activity shall take place. These resources must not be fewer than the annual amount of the minimum income (€ 4,962.36)
- availability of an income relating to the previous financial year which must be higher than the minimum level required by law for exemption from health care contribution (€8,500), already acquired in the country of residence
Old Jan 28th 2021, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Casagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the rough

I am considering applying for residence in Italy but it is complicated by the fact I have dual nationality. I spend about 5 months of the year in italy. I am worried about the tax situation. If any of you are resident in Italy and have elected to pay tax in the UK I would be grateful if you have any advice. Do you have to file a tax return in Italy ? even if you are paying your taxes in the UK, if so does the double taxation agreement come into force? and if so how does it work. I am concerned that if I had to declare my income in Italy because of the differnce in taxation I would be paying more tax. Any insights or experience would be welcome.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

modicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond reputemodicasa has a reputation beyond repute

For elective residency your income must be not inferior to 31000 euros plus 20% for every other member of the family. For a work/selfemployed visa etc the amounts are different.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond reputeGeordieborn has a reputation beyond repute

For Elective Residency Modi's answers seem to be confirmed in most searches I looked at, to get solid information you would need to look at the actual regulations "Decree of Ministry of Foreign Affairs N. 850/2011, Art. 13, Annex A" is what you ned to find, no idea how. None of the stuff I've looked at mentions tax returns, but one solicitor site touting business did mention "your tax affairs", I suspect you may need to do one.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casagialla
I am considering applying for residence in Italy but it is complicated by the fact I have dual nationality. I spend about 5 months of the year in italy. I am worried about the tax situation. If any of you are resident in Italy and have elected to pay tax in the UK I would be grateful if you have any advice. Do you have to file a tax return in Italy ? even if you are paying your taxes in the UK, if so does the double taxation agreement come into force? and if so how does it work. I am concerned that if I had to declare my income in Italy because of the differnce in taxation I would be paying more tax. Any insights or experience would be welcome.
My understanding is that you don’t elect where you pay tax - it’s determined by your residency, and it’s nothing to do with citizenship. If you are resident in Italy you pay tax in Italy in almost all circumstances. That means tax on your worldwide income and assets.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ruby2
My understanding is that you don’t elect where you pay tax - it’s determined by your residency, and it’s nothing to do with citizenship. If you are resident in Italy you pay tax in Italy in almost all circumstances. That means tax on your worldwide income and assets.
That is not the case for ER as I understand it, hence lots are looking at it since Brexit (and before for us). You do NOT/cannot work in Italy with ER and do NOT pay tax there.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I did’t know that. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Casagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the roughCasagialla is a jewel in the rough

My husband and I are both retired and therefore we would not be working we have no income in Italy and we meet the the minimum income levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.