British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Italy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/)
-   -   Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/italy-77/any-way-stay-more-than-90-days-but-less-than-180-one-trip-936731/)

Susiemc Jan 22nd 2021 9:46 am

Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

We are resident in Uk but owned a house in Italy for over 30 yrs. we want to stay in Italy for the summer approx 4 months in one visit to maintain the swimming pool and other maintenance can we do this without becoming resident in Italy ?Does anyone know?

brian12 Jan 22nd 2021 10:00 am

Re: Any way to stay more than 90 days but less than 180 in one trip??

Hi,I am in the same situation.I read somewhere that Italians are allowed 180 days straight off in the UK so they might reciprocate.

modicasa Jan 22nd 2021 10:22 am

No. There is no way without getting an elective residence visa and applying for a permesso di soggiorno.

brian12 Jan 22nd 2021 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 12962706)
No. There is no way without getting an elective residence visa and applying for a permesso di soggiorno.

Cheers,I know it sounds naïve and has been asked loads of times,but what is the procedure for this.We have flown under the radar for years being in bandit country,lol.We are retired so does it mean that we have to pay tax on our tax free savngs in the UK.Bearing in mind it wont be permanent cos we will probably sell up within 3 years anyway.TIA,PS don't mean to hijack thread but I'm sure the OP would be interested.Brian.

Susiemc Jan 22nd 2021 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by modicasa (Post 12962706)

Just hoping !!!!Thanks for reply

Seldomseenkid Jan 22nd 2021 2:05 pm

Can you just apply for the permesso di soggiorno without the elective visa?

Geordieborn Jan 22nd 2021 3:05 pm

At the moment we have no interest in doing so, but may well do so in the future. So I've not checked it out fully, but you need to start here (or your nearest) at the consulate. There are a number of rules/conditions but basically it will cost (116 Euro at least) you per year and NO you will not pay Italian tax.

Susiemc Jan 22nd 2021 4:55 pm

Earlier Brian mentioned that he had heard that Italians can come to UK for a straight 180 days is that correct? If so is there any indication of a reciprocal arrangement? That would be ideal for our situation otherwise I suppose we will just have to apply for permesso or totally rethink how we visit our holiday home !

Geordieborn Jan 22nd 2021 5:25 pm

Italians and other EU citizens can come to the UK without a visa for less than 6 months. There are no indications I know of regard any EU country doing the same, but likely it would be on a country by country basis.

modicasa Jan 23rd 2021 5:45 am

To stay in Italy for more than 90 days you will need a Permesso di Soggiorno - whether this is for work, study, etc is your choice, but the most likely for homeowners would be elective residency. This means that you can stay and live in Italy until the expiry of your visa/PdS, but your tax affairs are still in your home country. You are not allowed to work in Italy in any way. Elective residency require a visa to be obtained before your arrival, and then the process of PdS started, with all that that entails. You will need to prove you have around 40.000 euros p.a for a couple, as well as health insurance etc. This is all standard for a non EU country, so its very unlikely that tehre will be a special reciprocal arrangement with the UK.

brian12 Jan 23rd 2021 6:40 am

Thanks,is that 40000 euro income pa or just savings.

Geordieborn Jan 23rd 2021 8:48 am

Income as I understand it, but if you have a house the value of it can be used. Have a look at this link I found using the article covering the legislation. I would suggest you look at some other search results as often these are out of date.

brian12 Jan 23rd 2021 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Geordieborn (Post 12963190)
Income as I understand it, but if you have a house the value of it can be used. Have a look at this link I found using the article covering the legislation. I would suggest you look at some other search results as often these are out of date.

Cheers,I might bypass the visa stage and apply for residency at the commune as soon as we get back.The income requirements are a lot more lenient.40 grand is a no no,lol.Our EHIC is still valid till 2023.Would they accept that instead of ASL or private healthcare.It covers falling ill and not just emergencies.My income is only £10300 at moment and my OH will be £8000 when her state pension starts in August.Our Italian property is bought and paid for at 80000 Euro.We are not married so are hoping all this will be enough,cheers,Brian.PS we have a property in UK also bought and paid for where we "winter" at the moment.

philat98 Jan 23rd 2021 9:42 am

This blog explains things quite well.
https://nancygoestoitaly.com/moving-to-italy-info/

Geordieborn Jan 23rd 2021 10:05 am

The blog link is very good. Think there may be a variation for USA consulates and UK, but in the main it will be the same. Not too sure it will be as easy to just go back over and get residency and that route will lead to a tax issue. I don't see the income as a problem if you have a house bought for 80,000 and either way you will need health cover, afraid an EHIC will not cut it. I'm pretty sure going forward there will be many more issues, driving etc., but most you will be able to over come... Being under the radar is fine until you come a cropper and it's always a nagging doubt.