Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

All work and no pay

Wikiposts

All work and no pay

Old May 22nd 2008, 8:47 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All work and no pay

Originally Posted by Patty
Thanks alot for that Lorna - you've cheered me up no end !! Doesn't matter if we can't be close geographically - we can still prop each other up on here (some nights literally 'prop' after the amount I drink ) OH told me to cut down today - but I said unless he could find a very good reason why then I'm afraid my ears are blocked
My Oh said somethng similar a few months ago ..... sometimes he thinks I am a bit too harsh with kids ,,,,but my reckoning is that "if it works " don't come home from abroad and try to change it.
Yes - you can be a sweet daddy with a few extra treats but the rules are the same ! Now that we are getting lots of compliments about our kids' behaviour instead of just getting criticised for being too british or too hard - my Oh finally understands the importance of good happy play times mixed in with simple rules and regulations.
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future
Default Re: All work and no pay

Hi Patty, and anyone else who is tefl teaching on measly pay. Look, i dont want to stir up trouble, but i have to say how aghast i am at how little you get paid. And without any contract etc. What your boss is doing is totaly illegal, but besides which, they are really taking the michael. They clearly know you really need the income and are holding that over you. Get mad girl. My friends in a language school here on a contract to work 20 hours a week, get 12 euros after tax. No one i know asks for less than 18 euros for private lessons. I have some school kids who do the catch up on school work style lessons, and i ask 15 euros and they come to my house so i dont have to budge. Then i have 2 lawyers who pay me 50 euros for 2 hours. If only one of them is available then i charge half. I go to their office armed with my teaching materials which i nicked form my old school ( she deserved it) and my tape recorder. Then i have a business man who i charge 20 euros an hour for 2 hours plus 5 euros for petrol. The trouble with privates are they are unreliable. But they can be great money. You should try and get some going on the side. Especially the school kids as they are reliable and come for years. But, if that would be treading on your bossĀ“s toes in a small town, then at least demand better pay and conditions. Could you bank on them backing down as you are the only decent tefl teacher around?