Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

All work and no pay

All work and no pay

Old May 22nd 2008, 1:56 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All work and no pay

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
I'm a mean cow and make the business men pay the highest price.
no you're not! they would you-so f*****g right you do![/QUOTE]
true - I have no guilty conscience - if they went to the language school here they would have to pay at least 30 euro for a one on one lesson and not be able to mix and match their own hours.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
you probably were !
My OH is a vegetarian and whilst all his colleagues moan about the food if they get sent to England, he actually prefers it as all the menus have to have vegetarian options clearly marked with the green V.
He has stopped eating in Italian work's canteen here as he discovered that nearly everything had meat in it.
Pasta with mushrooms turned out to have bacon in it too and even the peas had cubes of ham in !
why oh why do italians have to put meat everywhere? another problem is when i ask for sandwiches without meat, they say 'well what about a panino with prosciutto?'!!!! they can't relate to the fact that this is/was an animal which equals to dead flesh!!! Bah!
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

just to let you know, as of september, ikea will be offering vegetarian meals.
Old May 22nd 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
That 7 euro was diabolical.
Oh blimey - talk about feeling really demoralised ....... I get (and have got for the last 4 years) the princely sum of 8€ per hour. Its not for want of trying, because I DID go and ask for more and felt like Oliver Twist...'more - you want more' I was simply told that the school can't afford it and as I have to work I am stuck. And likewise Lorna - I get offered evening work but with the children etc I really don't want to go down that road.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jonnie-falafel will become famous soon enoughJonnie-falafel will become famous soon enough

There's a fantastic place called Country House Montali in Toscana that's pretty much vegan. They have just produced a great book containing their fantastic recipes "The Vegeterranean" should add I have no connection with them... There's also a great veggie place - Il vegetariano - in Florence which I like. There's also an Italian Vegan (vegano) Society.

I'm also a member of Slow Food - cause I'm a fan of real food, produced as locally as possible.... although everything they organise in North Yorks tends to be meaty/fishy. I stick with them because as far as the philosophy goes I'm with them in spirit. They say food should be Good, Clean & Fair... to which I annoy them by adding Compassionate.... while they're guzzling Foie Gras!

I found that if you google for veggie places in Italian then many more options appear than if you google in English. When I'm in Lucca in a couple fo weeks I intend to try one I came across called Tapiro Verde. Nice name and the food looks good on their website.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

the last time i went to versilia (about a couple of years ago) i went to a great restaurant in viareggio-can't remember what it was called but can find out if you want (viareggio is a province of lucca). where i live there aren't any veggie restaurants but the old contadini (farmer) meals are totally vegan.

take a look at these anyway:

http://www.veganhome.it/travel_italy.php

http://www.veganhome.it/acquisti/index.php

http://www.ristorantiverdi.it/

if you take a trip to rome:

http://www.romecity.it/Vegan&bio.htm

or milan:

http://www.milano-ristoranti.it/rist...egetariani.asp
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Patty
Oh blimey - talk about feeling really demoralised ....... I get (and have got for the last 4 years) the princely sum of 8€ per hour. Its not for want of trying, because I DID go and ask for more and felt like Oliver Twist...'more - you want more' I was simply told that the school can't afford it and as I have to work I am stuck. And likewise Lorna - I get offered evening work but with the children etc I really don't want to go down that road.
I am sorry patty but that is what you would get for cleaning my toilet! These outrageous school owners should be shot. I can´t even say it´s the italians who are to blame as my ex boss was a very unscrupulous woman who was also british, buit who has been here for so long, too long.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

that is a scandal. 8 euro? in torino? i'm amazed. thought the wages would be much higher in the north especially with the cost of living up there. i think they are taking the p*** big time. have you had a look on http://www.tefl.com/ ??
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

patty even if you don't have a tefl qualification you have bags of experience so i'd play on that...
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
that is a scandal. 8 euro? in torino? i'm amazed. thought the wages would be much higher in the north especially with the cost of living up there. i think they are taking the p*** big time. have you had a look on http://www.tefl.com/ ??
That is very bad Patty - especially in a city.
I hope at least that they are also paying all your INPS on top of that thereby giving you the health care and something towards a future pension..... if old berlusconi doesn't wipe out pensions all together.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:56 pm

and it's true what Lisa said ....

all the baby-sitters - cleaners and ironing ladies get paid at least 8 euro an hour cash in hand where I live.
That's one of the reasons why I don't really want to go back to office work as all my crappy wage would have to be given to a baby-sitter..... and I might have to end up working under a shit faced - two faced italian bitch who thinks she's rules the roost and can lord it over everyone else and treat them like slaves.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ooh (as Neil would say in the Young Ones ) I feel really inadequate - but as I said - I have to work cos my OH can't find permanent work (he's 49 and wayyy over the hill) I also understand what you're all saying about the North - but I'm not based in Turin, I'm outside in a non-touristic area. Some of the girls from last year left and moved to Turin and were chuffed to be offered 14€ per hour - and to think... I was jealous ! You're also right in that I don't have TEFL but I do have lots of experience, not just in teaching but back in the CH.Islands I used to work in finance. However, maybe cos I've been here too long, I fail to see how I can improve the situation - at least I am able to put food on the table and just about pay bills. (oh and BTW - we don't have any INPS/sickness etc - we are paid cash in hand ) I keep thinking I should try and do something else - but I suppose I've become passive !
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh and just wanted to add my tuppenceworth .........vatican makes my blood boil too - my son is one of about 4 or 5 in class not to attend catechism (the others are a muslim, an african, an american and can't remember ) My mum was a catholic but she didn't bring us up as catholics. I just have strong feelings about this and if anyone asks (small village problem again) I just say I'm protestant to keep the peace. I actually am (I think its the right word???) agnostic. (or is it atheist - I can never bloody remember ) But its really really hard when you live in such a biased country. All the youth activity for example in my village is based around the oratorio - why???? Never mind I'll just get off my box now and go and read my son a fairy story (am trying hard not to let him forget his english roots )
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:28 pm

Oh and just wanted to add my tuppenceworth .........vatican makes my blood boil too - my son is one of about 4 or 5 in class not to attend catechism (the others are a muslim, an african, an american and can't remember ) My mum was a catholic but she didn't bring us up as catholics. I just have strong feelings about this and if anyone asks (small village problem again) I just say I'm protestant to keep the peace. I actually am (I think its the right word???) agnostic. (or is it atheist - I can never bloody remember ) But its really really hard when you live in such a biased country. All the youth activity for example in my village is based around the oratorio - why???? Never mind I'll just get off my box now and go and read my son a fairy story (am trying hard not to let him forget his english roots )
Oh Patty - I really wish you were a bit closer to me ....we could have such a good time - but never think you are totally alone ...... you might be where you live but then so I am I ,,,, and we can do it - we are after all supposed to have that Stiff Upper Lip !!!!!
Stick to your guns and don't let anybody persuade you otherwise - most of them are so weaK that they will give up faster than you .....
Old May 22nd 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks alot for that Lorna - you've cheered me up no end !! Doesn't matter if we can't be close geographically - we can still prop each other up on here (some nights literally 'prop' after the amount I drink ) OH told me to cut down today - but I said unless he could find a very good reason why then I'm afraid my ears are blocked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.