Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

VIC now not honouring old list for sponsorship?

VIC now not honouring old list for sponsorship?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

geoff08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VIC now not honouring old list for sponsorship?

Looking for some help:

We just received an email from Victoria that our occupation is not on the list therefore we do not qualify for state sponsorship even though we applied before the changes. Our occupation was on the list before the changes and we applied on Jan 6th 2009.

Here is a little background:
- Applied for 175 in May 2008 as primary-teacher
- Applied for state sponsorship Jan 6th as PRE-primary teacher (have positive assessment for PRE-primary and primary teacher from teaching Australia)
- Received acknowledgement from Vic right away
- Received email from Vic stating they will honour the app based on the old list
- Checked the Vic website which confirmed they will honour the old list
- Received an email yesterday saying we don’t qualify because we are not on the list
- We replied right away saying this must be a mistake
- Tried calling Vic but there does not seem to be an option to actually speak with anybody (anyone have a direct line for Vic?)

Does anyone have any advice? It seems like they send these letters without even looking at the app… Our DIAC app is still for primary teacher, Do you think they are checking that and we should change the occupation with DIAC?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Nimra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VIC now not honouring old list for sponsorship?

Hi,
I am pretty sure they have made a mistake I hope you get a positive outcome of your application ,usually email takes two toThree days to get answered.

while going through the threads I have just read Victoria is not welcoming any more those applicants who already lodge subclass175.

I have also applied for sponsorship and seeing these situations I am not sure for my sponsorship outcomes.

Good luck and keep update for outcome.
Nim
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Can't help you on the primary teacher , but I applied for state sponsership as pre - primary teacher a couple of years ago.
Got a positive assessment as a pre primary teacher (worked as a nursery teacher and head of unit in a school for 17 years). Was turned down 3 times - reason - never taught 0-2s!!!!!!!!!!!:curse::curse:
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by geoff08
Looking for some help:

We just received an email from Victoria that our occupation is not on the list therefore we do not qualify for state sponsorship even though we applied before the changes. Our occupation was on the list before the changes and we applied on Jan 6th 2009.

Here is a little background:
- Applied for 175 in May 2008 as primary-teacher
- Applied for state sponsorship Jan 6th as PRE-primary teacher (have positive assessment for PRE-primary and primary teacher from teaching Australia)
- Received acknowledgement from Vic right away
- Received email from Vic stating they will honour the app based on the old list
- Checked the Vic website which confirmed they will honour the old list
- Received an email yesterday saying we don’t qualify because we are not on the list
- We replied right away saying this must be a mistake
- Tried calling Vic but there does not seem to be an option to actually speak with anybody (anyone have a direct line for Vic?)

Does anyone have any advice? It seems like they send these letters without even looking at the app… Our DIAC app is still for primary teacher, Do you think they are checking that and we should change the occupation with DIAC?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think Tony has explained in his post

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...00#post7253100

Since you qualified a 175 you must have had 120 points so Vic state must have cut off State sponsorship for applicants with 120+ points.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:22 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

I think bezzanbo who post on her have mentioned that they are able to apply as emailed an expression of interest before the date and they were emailed that they could apply - teaching.

Try PM'ing them (sorry, could find their post with a quick search)

Cooler
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

geoff08 is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes no sense turning down apps for Vic sponsorship if they qualify for 175 with 120+ points. Logically, if a state needs specific skilled apps, then the ones that have the highest points with the correct skills would be the most attractive. Turning them down is the same as saying that you are over-qualified. Meaning they would prefer lower quality apps in their state.

The point of state sponsorship is to get high quality apps with the needed skills to the states that need them.

It is not to help under-qualified apps who don't have enough points to get a 175. That would be the same as saying "We desperately need your skills but we would prefer that you were older and had less proficient english....."

I hope i did not offend anyone...

Thoughts?
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geoff08
It makes no sense turning down apps for Vic sponsorship if they qualify for 175 with 120+ points. Logically, if a state needs specific skilled apps, then the ones that have the highest points with the correct skills would be the most attractive. Turning them down is the same as saying that you are over-qualified. Meaning they would prefer lower quality apps in their state.

The point of state sponsorship is to get high quality apps with the needed skills to the states that need them.

It is not to help under-qualified apps who don't have enough points to get a 175. That would be the same as saying "We desperately need your skills but we would prefer that you were older and had less proficient english....."

I hope i did not offend anyone...

Thoughts?
The 176 was/is exactly for that - for skilled people who did not qualify for the 175 due to age - not so much English as the State lists generally require levels of English dependent on the occupation.

Older means more experienced so it is a great idea to harvest skills from the tailings of the 175. This is undermined by a flood of 120 plus scorers applying for State sponsorship when they only want it to speed up their processing. Personally I think MODL and CSL should have priority over the State Sponsored as it does go against the grain if you are 120 plus and genuinely intened to go to that State.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshtony
The 176 was/is exactly for that - for skilled people who did not qualify for the 175 due to age - not so much English as the State lists generally require levels of English dependent on the occupation.

Older means more experienced so it is a great idea to harvest skills from the tailings of the 175. This is undermined by a flood of 120 plus scorers applying for State sponsorship when they only want it to speed up their processing. Personally I think MODL and CSL should have priority over the State Sponsored as it does go against the grain if you are 120 plus and genuinely intened to go to that State.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Yes Tony CSL first would have made more sense but I suppose state/territory sponsored applicants only account for 7% (about 9000) DIAC probably wanted to get them out of the way since some were lodged in 2007.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by welshtony
Personally I think MODL and CSL should have priority over the State Sponsored
I share this sentiment. I find it interesting that they are giving top priority to a group that has a lower points threshold than the 175 independent.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 3:43 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I share this sentiment. I find it interesting that they are giving top priority to a group that has a lower points threshold than the 175 independent.
I think is something to do with needing people who have specific skills to live in rural areas for a time, leastways as far as regional sponsored 475 is concerned. I'd imagine most people who hold a skilled independent 175 will probably not choose to live out in the sticks in some tiny mining township
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PamE
I think is something to do with needing people who have specific skills to live in rural areas for a time, leastways as far as regional sponsored 475 is concerned. I'd imagine most people who hold a skilled independent 175 will probably not choose to live out in the sticks in some tiny mining township
I take the point of the regional sponsorship, but I was thinking more of 176 state sponsored, so people may move to the major urban areas.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Having some knowledge of teaching my son and daughter are both teachers. There is no shortage of teaches in the urban areas in Melbourne its in the country areas where teachers are needed and also in the smaller country areas. The larger country areas say Bendigo, Ballarat, Wodonga are well catered for with local people.

My daughter has not been able to get a job in teaching here in Melbourne and she waw born in Aus. Mainly because she is a graduate teacher and there only so many graduate places.

So maybe they are changing things because there are a lot of teacher graduates now as a few years ago there was major drive to get people to take up teaching and these student are now graduating.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 7:16 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
Yes Tony CSL first would have made more sense but I suppose state/territory sponsored applicants only account for 7% (about 9000) DIAC probably wanted to get them out of the way since some were lodged in 2007.
This is bound to have increased for obvious reasons - our agent said they have had 2/3 times as many.

Cooler
Old Feb 8th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
This is bound to have increased for obvious reasons - our agent said they have had 2/3 times as many.

Cooler
I doubt if it would have increased I would say State/Territory state sponsorship is probably a fixed value of (approx 9000) or 7% as I have already stated from analysis of the statistics.

see post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...22#post7225122

The problem with state sponsorship is that it is supposed to spread the population away from the metropolitan area such as Sydney as PamE mentioned, unfortunately some of the more rural areas like small towns etc require some people and a mixture of different skills........ there is no point in a small town of say 2000 population requiring 50 hairdressers and 100 accountants or that they will have a requirement for Nuclear Engineers or University lecturers.

If someone is short of a few points and is requiring state sponsorship to get PR the states are not a bottomless pot of approvals to solve those problems

and as Petals quoted

Originally Posted by Petals
Having some knowledge of teaching my son and daughter are both teachers. There is no shortage of teaches in the urban areas in Melbourne its in the country areas where teachers are needed and also in the smaller country areas. The larger country areas say Bendigo, Ballarat, Wodonga are well catered for with local people.

The whole point to the immigration program is to have skilled people come to live in Australia to provide services and pay Taxes, The government knows that with the baby boomers now coming up to retirement age there are going to be a lot less in the workforce and a lot less tax coming in the federal bank account so its using migration to rebuild the workforce.

If you do not suit their requirements (skill, employability, age etc etc) then it is unlikely you will be accepted.... its an economy not a charity.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Feb 8th 2009 at 4:06 am. Reason: more info added
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:21 pm
Capt Hilts

Our agent said they had a big increase in State apps and there have been others posting the same message. I'd be interested to know as we're on the CSL and not state so we'd hope to be processed quickly.

Are you really Richard Harris?

Cooler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.