Student Visa

Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Visa

Originally Posted by witney
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply i have been at a Funeral (father-in-law) today. we have had some good news today we have a cash buyer coming to view the house next Tuesday fingers cross this could be it.

I choose the course after viewing the list from the Skills listing i knew what i wouldn't be good at and i knew that i need to go for a course that's worth 60points. The welfare course is on this list, if you look at the Nambour Tafe web site it also says on there that this course is reconised for PR status, on the Australian embassy is also says that it's available for skilled/employer sponsor and the MODL. I wanted to do something i would be interested in and this course opens you up for social worker/care worker and many more. An agent should help you, i understand from mine that i should end up with 120-125 points at the end you get extra points for studying in the country.

The course is 3 days a week, you will need to do a placement (i think we have sort this out) 1 day. The information i also got was that i need to aim to do work up to 900hrs to be accepted for PR (paid or unpaid) this can be during or after the course but if i have not achieved this in 2 years then i can apply for the 18months extension to gain this.

I hope this helps but you might find out more from your agent. let me know how you get on.
hi witney
have you made adecision on the welfare course.. i am looking at doing this course but am a little unsure about PR. Have you had any previous experience in this field of work, i dont know if that matters when enrolling
tina
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, I was looking at this course but have decided to do hairdressing to be on the safe side.

I looked at the points and they just weren't adding up.

Have a look at http://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-mig...oints-test.php

I suppose it depends on your age and whether you decide to do the English test or not. If you do, you need to pass all 4 areas and get a score of 7 out of 9 in all areas. No mean feat so i've heard!

Also, another thing i didn't realise until i looked at the immigration list, is that Welfare worker isn't on the list of jobs to be sponsored by Queensland govn. It is only Tasmania and Vic that will sponsor. So all in all you would need the full 120 points unless sponsored by a relative. Unfortunately for me we haven't got any in Oz!

So, because of this, I decided to play it safe and go for an occupation on the MODL and make sure that i would defo have the points at the end of it. The private college - 'Brisbane School of Hairdressing' includes the required 900hrs in the 2yr period.

What a nightmare! I've had so many sleepless nights!!!!!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ive just been on the website and found it very useful. I did the points test and have 105, which because of relative sponsorship i only need 100, but failing that i could do the IELTS test, which like you would rather not do. Have got to say youve got me thinkin now...it goes from bad to worse. You get extra points for doing something off the MODL list so i can understand you wanting to do hairdressing! have you never fancied going into baking/pastrychef... i just wish my hubby wasnt too old so the pressure was on him!!!!!! thanks anyway tina
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by anitblue
hi ive just been on the website and found it very useful. I did the points test and have 105, which because of relative sponsorship i only need 100, but failing that i could do the IELTS test, which like you would rather not do. Have got to say youve got me thinkin now...it goes from bad to worse. You get extra points for doing something off the MODL list so i can understand you wanting to do hairdressing! have you never fancied going into baking/pastrychef... i just wish my hubby wasnt too old so the pressure was on him!!!!!! thanks anyway tina
yes, i know what you mean! I wish my hubby could do the course too! I've thought about the chef side of things but can't imagine being couped up in a kitchen in that heat! Between the 2, i'd rather do hairdressing! Like i said, its only 1 year actual hairdressing, the 2nd year is salon management, so should be interesting.

If you're thinking about hairdressing, have a look at www.brishair.com.au they've got a campus on the goldcoast and in Brisbane. Gives you loads of info and i've been told these are the best !

BFN Becky

Good luck with your decision! Whatever you decide!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

jomaspirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi Becky,

Just wondered if you'd worked out your timescales? When you come over, you'll have your two year course and then you would have to do a years work experience and then you'd be looking at a bridging visa for 6 or more months till you get PR so around 3+ half years.

If you manage to get sponsored, unless you get an RSMS, you'd be looking at a 457 for 2 years then maybe the ENS?

If your not planning on coming over till Dec 09, that's another 19months on top.

If you've got all that time to wait, why wouldn't you think of retraining at nightschool over there for something, ie get whatever minimum qual you need in shortest time poss before you come over?

We just used the student route cause we didn't want to wait we decided to 'go for it' june07 and arrived here nov07. If I had been looking so far in advance before coming over, I certainly would have looked into retraining first. Just a thought.

Also I've heard that the courses get booked up very quickly and further in advance, so you may not have too much choice in times.

Cheers
Mandy
Hi there Whitney

I am going to Murdoch Uni in Perth as a Computer Science student now. I went through exactly the same as you. I was doing the Nursing and cos I couldnt sell my house I deferred till feb 09 then the uni got in touch with me three weeks ago to tell me that I would lose my visa if I didnt get myself to oz asap. So panicing I asked if there was another course I could do which was the computer course starting in aug 08. All I had to do was sell my house which luckily a cash buyer came through for me. I went through many options beforehand like putting the house on auction online (watch out for the fees they charge) or try to sell ur house privately by advertising yourself and looking for property buyers on the internet. You may have to take a loss but some ppl pay between 80 and 90 per cent. I am going to Perth from the UK in 7 days time. I really hope all goes well for you.

[email protected]
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

debbiehaworth72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I did the full time course at BSH. Do you need to do the salon management, when I was there you didn't need to. My friend who started it said it was a waste of time, something for you to think about. It is extra expense to do the two courses. I left twelve months ago so it might have changed since then. The hairdressing is only seventy two academic weeks, so you can be finished in as little as 16-17 months.

Are you attending the Brisbane or Gold Coast campus. I went to the Brisbane one. There are loads of English and Asian (Chinese) Students there, not many Australians.

When are you starting?

Deb
Originally Posted by stumpysean
yes, i know what you mean! I wish my hubby could do the course too! I've thought about the chef side of things but can't imagine being couped up in a kitchen in that heat! Between the 2, i'd rather do hairdressing! Like i said, its only 1 year actual hairdressing, the 2nd year is salon management, so should be interesting.

If you're thinking about hairdressing, have a look at www.brishair.com.au they've got a campus on the goldcoast and in Brisbane. Gives you loads of info and i've been told these are the best !

BFN Becky

Good luck with your decision! Whatever you decide!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by debbiehaworth72
Hi

I did the full time course at BSH. Do you need to do the salon management, when I was there you didn't need to. My friend who started it said it was a waste of time, something for you to think about. It is extra expense to do the two courses. I left twelve months ago so it might have changed since then. The hairdressing is only seventy two academic weeks, so you can be finished in as little as 16-17 months.

Are you attending the Brisbane or Gold Coast campus. I went to the Brisbane one. There are loads of English and Asian (Chinese) Students there, not many Australians.

When are you starting?

Deb
Hi, its not a case of wanting to do the salon management part of it. To pass immi now you have to do a full 2 yr course or 90+ weeks. 92 weeks i think. So I can't just do the hairdressing. It has to be combined with something else to bump up the weeks! They've got you by the short and curly's!

I've heard before that the course can be completed in less than the stated times but according to the immigration website it has to be the full 2 year study rule or equivalent weeks. What a pain.

I'm not sure what campus to enrol at. I'm just about to enrol at one of them, but need advice on which one! We're fairly flexible really, we've got 2 boys ages 8 and 10 so wherever in the long run would be better for us as a family. Preferably without having to move them from schools etc....
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi

The rules probably changed Sept 2007 along with the rest of the changes. I just did the hairdressing. 2 Year full time study was classed as 72 weeks. at TAFE you have to do the full two years as you get the schoool holidays which eventually added up to the 72 weeks. BSH do not close only at Christmas so you don't get the 6 weeks+ as Christmas.

I would call immigration before enrolling just to check. At BSH you also cover the 900 hours work experience which is required, this you don't get at TAFE.

I heard that the Gold Coast is the better of the two campuses. I wouldn't know cause I have never been down there.

Depends on were you want to settle. I find Surfers to be really tacky, beach very nice but shops tacky. I live Northside of the city, a place called North Lakes which is packed with British. I got the train into the city to college each day, 30 mins.

Have you been to Oz before, if so were did you stay.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Deb

Hi, its not a case of wanting to do the salon management part of it. To pass immi now you have to do a full 2 yr course or 90+ weeks. 92 weeks i think. So I can't just do the hairdressing. It has to be combined with something else to bump up the weeks! They've got you by the short and curly's!

I've heard before that the course can be completed in less than the stated times but according to the immigration website it has to be the full 2 year study rule or equivalent weeks. What a pain.

I'm not sure what campus to enrol at. I'm just about to enrol at one of them, but need advice on which one! We're fairly flexible really, we've got 2 boys ages 8 and 10 so wherever in the long run would be better for us as a family. Preferably without having to move them from schools etc....
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi

The rules probably changed Sept 2007 along with the rest of the changes. I just did the hairdressing. 2 Year full time study was classed as 72 weeks. at TAFE you have to do the full two years as you get the schoool holidays which eventually added up to the 72 weeks. BSH do not close only at Christmas so you don't get the 6 weeks+ as Christmas.

I would call immigration before enrolling just to check. At BSH you also cover the 900 hours work experience which is required, this you don't get at TAFE.

I heard that the Gold Coast is the better of the two campuses. I wouldn't know cause I have never been down there.

Depends on were you want to settle. I find Surfers to be really tacky, beach very nice but shops tacky. I live Northside of the city, a place called North Lakes which is packed with British. I got the train into the city to college each day, 30 mins.

Deb

Hi,

Ideally, hubby would rather be brisbane side than gold coast purely because he has friends on sunshine coast. We were looking at North Lakes online last night and quite fancied it funily enough! but were worried about how long it would take to get into to the CBD. You say 30 mins? is that on the train or bus? how much does that cost?

I think i will enrol at the Brisbane one so any info on where to live with 2 boys and how to get to the college would be great!!!!!

We have been to Oz but we went to Perth. we loved it but felt there wasn't enough there for us as a family. So decided on queensland.

thanks for your help

Becky
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

We actually live five mins from North Lakes, Murrumba Downs. Find it to be too clicky there, too many poms. Mango hill (Halpine Lake), Petrie On Pine, Murrumba Downs (North Quarter, Castle Hill, Riverwood). These are all nice areas. You catch train from Petrie Station, 10 mins by bus, 5 by car. Train takes 30 mins (express train), 5 mins walking to college. We are only 40 mins from Mooloolaba (Sunshine Coast), 1 hour 10 mins from Gold Coast. I met quite a few friends from Northside from college, used to catch train with them. You pay student concession prices for train, daily, weekly or monthly pass. Over 12 mths since I finished, cannot remember how much they were. I used to get the daily as I only attended college three days, worked out cheaper than the weekly/monthly.

If you need any information at all let me know. If I don't know something I can find out for you. Only too happy to help, I have been where you are now. It can be a little daunting, keep positive and it will all come good.

Deb

Hi,

Ideally, hubby would rather be brisbane side than gold coast purely because he has friends on sunshine coast. We were looking at North Lakes online last night and quite fancied it funily enough! but were worried about how long it would take to get into to the CBD. You say 30 mins? is that on the train or bus? how much does that cost?

I think i will enrol at the Brisbane one so any info on where to live with 2 boys and how to get to the college would be great!!!!!

We have been to Oz but we went to Perth. we loved it but felt there wasn't enough there for us as a family. So decided on queensland.

thanks for your help

Becky
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

We actually live five mins from North Lakes, Murrumba Downs. Find it to be too clicky there, too many poms. Mango hill (Halpine Lake), Petrie On Pine, Murrumba Downs (North Quarter, Castle Hill, Riverwood). These are all nice areas. You catch train from Petrie Station, 10 mins by bus, 5 by car. Train takes 30 mins (express train), 5 mins walking to college. We are only 40 mins from Mooloolaba (Sunshine Coast), 1 hour 10 mins from Gold Coast. I met quite a few friends from Northside from college, used to catch train with them. You pay student concession prices for train, daily, weekly or monthly pass. Over 12 mths since I finished, cannot remember how much they were. I used to get the daily as I only attended college three days, worked out cheaper than the weekly/monthly.

If you need any information at all let me know. If I don't know something I can find out for you. Only too happy to help, I have been where you are now. It can be a little daunting, keep positive and it will all come good.

Deb
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! I really don't know where to start. I will definately be probing you for more info in the future if you don't mind!

i'll have a look at those suburbs you mentioned.......

Thanks again

Becky
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Hi Becky

No, just throw the questions my way.

Deb

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! I really don't know where to start. I will definately be probing you for more info in the future if you don't mind!

i'll have a look at those suburbs you mentioned.......

Thanks again

Becky
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:46 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Hi

Deb
Hi again Debs!
hope you got that drink in other night!! Any news on your PR yet? Got a bottle off Hardys in fridge just for when you get the visa, not gonna touch it till u get it hun!!
Just a quick tho, is it worth me getting a hairdressing kit together over here first, can get certain things for buttons, and dont wanna get slammed for a crap kit when I get there! Any hints and tips on what to start collecting, be gratefully recieved,
Take care hun and keep us posted,
Michele
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

witney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anitblue
hi witney
have you made adecision on the welfare course.. i am looking at doing this course but am a little unsure about PR. Have you had any previous experience in this field of work, i dont know if that matters when enrolling
tina
HI Tina,

i am still planning on doing this course, i haven't had any experience in this area but have always wanted to get into the social side of things. I don't know if it helped me getting on it as i do have NVQ 2+3 in AAT. I have looked at the list on the MODL and i decided that i will still enrol for this course it is on the SOL listing for 60points i am only 35 so i currently have 10yrs before the door closes, you do gain more points for studying in Oz and in certain areas. when i worked it out for myself i reach the 120points and i could be wrong but should be able to apply for PR status. Good luck with what you decide you can go mad just thinking about it and knowing the best route to take, who knows i might change course when over in Oz but this one feels right for me! Still need to sell the god damn house!!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Michele

No news yet. Think we're last in queue. OH spoke to immigration, we have a case officer but they didn't give any other info away, school fees for Chloe due again next week, cost us an extra $5,000 cause they have a backlog.
You get your kit in with the price of the course, get lots of combs and clips, keep them locked up at college, they have legs. Don't need much else. You get basic scissors and will prob find during your course you will upgrade these.
Lots of black and white clothes too. When you get there, there is a really cheap shop in the Myer Centre, across the road from college, called Tightrope. Loads of black/white in their. Ignore any friends who say don't take your coats, it gets pretty chilly this time of year and you do need them. Are you sending a container over with you?

Got to go to work now, speak later.

Deb

Originally Posted by MicheleandBarry
Hi again Debs!
hope you got that drink in other night!! Any news on your PR yet? Got a bottle off Hardys in fridge just for when you get the visa, not gonna touch it till u get it hun!!
Just a quick tho, is it worth me getting a hairdressing kit together over here first, can get certain things for buttons, and dont wanna get slammed for a crap kit when I get there! Any hints and tips on what to start collecting, be gratefully recieved,
Take care hun and keep us posted,
Michele

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.