Student Visa

Old May 25th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: Student Visa

Originally Posted by sunshine 27
Hi Becky

I know it's confusing with all the different info but....

At the sunshine coast TAFE which is where I'm studying, we do 3 days at college one of these days is a salon day where it is open to the public to pay
to have thier hair done, this day does NOT count for any hours, so we are told.
We then do 1 day extra outside college in a salon to count towards our 240 hours which is part of the course you need to do to pass, (you do not get paid for these hours)
So if you come here expect to be busy 4 days a week

Then on top of that we have to find our own 900 hours.

This is why I ask why this TAFE doesn't count salon days at college where other college's do count these hours?

Yes, that doesn't seem right does it? I didn't realise the 240 hrs were needed to pass the course, I was getting confused!

So, in your opinion, as you're there doing it now, how easy is it or will it be to find the 900 hrs experience ouitside TAFE?

This does concern me a bit that with 2 kids aswell, having to work loads of extra hours is going to be really difficult?

Is work readily available, do you get paid for it?
Old May 25th 2008, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

sunshine 27 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Yes, that doesn't seem right does it? I didn't realise the 240 hrs were needed to pass the course, I was getting confused!

So, in your opinion, as you're there doing it now, how easy is it or will it be to find the 900 hrs experience ouitside TAFE?

This does concern me a bit that with 2 kids aswell, having to work loads of extra hours is going to be really difficult?

Is work readily available, do you get paid for it?
Hi
Getting the work may not be such a problem but getting paid for it maybe
a problem!
Not many people get paid for the extra hours, if you are lucky and
get paid it will be minimum wage.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunshine 27
Hi
Getting the work may not be such a problem but getting paid for it maybe
a problem!
Not many people get paid for the extra hours, if you are lucky and
get paid it will be minimum wage.

So really, we'll need to rely on hubby's 20hrs a week work?

We were banking on me hopefully earning too. Well working the allocated 20 hrs and getting paid anyway!

Surely, the hairdressers don't expect you to work 20 hrs for nothing????
Old May 25th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hay, I suppose the way to look at it is this. Your 240 hours is a vocational placement it has to be unpaid and is necessary to pass the course. Your 900 hours, if you've no previous experience then you'd be lucky to get paid. You'd either have to just get in the door n work for nothing until you gained experience, or get another job doing anything and look at getting the 900 hours towards the end of the course when your a bit more experienced, or wait till you do the year work experience.

Hubbie had done a fair bit relative to cabinet making before we came over so managed to get a job paying $20 with a cabinet making company. Most of the other guys in college are working for way less than this. Hubbies now been offered a job paying more tho not in cabinet making, but we've agreed that we'd rather have the better wage n worry bout the 900 hours next year. If we get sponsored, then it'd be a waste tuning down the extra money and hubbie will no doubt have to do the years work experience if we don't, so he can get the hours then.

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 26th 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

witney is an unknown quantity at this point

I have checked with the Tafe regards the Welfare course, they have come and confirmed that they will help find a placement for me and that there is a shortage of Welfare workers and this is why it is on the PR status.

After reading all the mixed reviews i have decide just to go for it, i would rather study a course that i would be interested in than trying to do something i had never thought about before. If it's the wrong then i can always change to another course out there and you never know anyone of us could come across an employer who is willing to sponsor us.

Trying to sell the house seems a much harder task at the moment!

Mandy goods news for your hubby like you say you have to go with whats on offer and that can always lead to good things.

Good luck Becky with what you decide i'm sure in the long run we will still have more sunshine in Oz than here
Old May 26th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=witney;6395794]I have checked with the Tafe regards the Welfare course, they have come and confirmed that they will help find a placement for me and that there is a shortage of Welfare workers and this is why it is on the PR status.

After reading all the mixed reviews i have decide just to go for it, i would rather study a course that i would be interested in than trying to do something i had never thought about before. If it's the wrong then i can always change to another course out there and you never know anyone of us could come across an employer who is willing to sponsor us.

Trying to sell the house seems a much harder task at the moment!

Mandy goods news for your hubby like you say you have to go with whats on offer and that can always lead to good things.

Good luck Becky with what you decide i'm sure in the long run we will still have more sunshine in Oz than here[

Help!

I totally agree with what you say and in fact i'm doubting my decison to do the hairdressing. I am much more keen on the welfare worker course, also I think i might find a work placement easier as I'm already a qualified childcare worker........however will I get RPL? (recognition of prior learning)???? Because if I do, will it then mean that I won't have done a full 2 year course?

I did read somewhere that they deduct certain amount of time off your course to allow for experience and quals gained previously?

I'm in such a dilema, I don't know what to do for the best. I will feel happier if I'm doing a course I want to do. Serious rethink on the cards i think!

Will keep you updated!
Old May 26th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Something to think about with RPL. Our TAFE said they could take into account other things we had done BUT that would mean us not doing some of the course, and then we would not have done the two full years required by immigration so may not be able to get the visa at the end of it as you need two years (depending on how much work it cut out I think).

I went for a horticulture course. I had origionally wanted to do the pattisery course, but that was full, so was going to do the childcare course, until I realised that I could not get residency after it. The options were pretty much hairdressing, cooking or gardening. Gardening isn't on the MODL but hey, I would rather do something that interests me. I really can't see me as a hairdresser.
I would do what you are doing too. Good luck
Old May 27th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Something to think about with RPL. Our TAFE said they could take into account other things we had done BUT that would mean us not doing some of the course, and then we would not have done the two full years required by immigration so may not be able to get the visa at the end of it as you need two years (depending on how much work it cut out I think).

I went for a horticulture course. I had origionally wanted to do the pattisery course, but that was full, so was going to do the childcare course, until I realised that I could not get residency after it. The options were pretty much hairdressing, cooking or gardening. Gardening isn't on the MODL but hey, I would rather do something that interests me. I really can't see me as a hairdresser.
I would do what you are doing too. Good luck
Any ideas how they work it out? I'd like to know before hand really!

I don't want to sign up to th ecourse, find out they're knocking some of the course off, then be stuffed when it comes to PR.

I'm getting the feeling that hairdressing is still the better way to go?

Although saying that there are plenty of you doing courses where the job isn't on the MODL?

I want to decide once and for all, but everyday I keep changing my mind! I went to bed having decided I would do th eWelfare worker course, I get up and mind is all in a muddle again!!!!!

Old May 27th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Just because you COULD have some of your prior learning recognised, doesn't mean you have to.
My course isn't on the MODL, I don't see it as being a problem as long as it isn't taken off the list of wanted jobs. Personally I should have enough points even then without doing the one year of work. Some people who are older are more in need of the extra points (I get an extra 5 points for being regional too).
I kept changing my mind daily, or hourly sometimes too, think it is pretty normal.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

debbiehaworth72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I came over on a student visa 2m 1/2 years ago with a 14 year old daughter. I had to pay one years school fees upfront $9000. You need proof that you have paid the school fees to be able to apply for the student visa. You can contact the school to enrol but you also have to go through EQI. If you need any more info let me know. My husband, daughter and I are waiting for our permanent residency at the moment. It has been worth it but it has not been easy.

Debbie
Old May 28th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

HI

I am new on British Expats site and can hopefully be of help to people coming over on Student Visas. I did the hairdressing course. I met lots of English on the course, I will be honest it is not easy at all, I thought it would be. If you can I would study something that you are interested in. The two year full time is 2 Academic Years (72 weeks). The college I attended did not have holidays so the 2 years ended up as 18 months. Full time is classed as 3 days per week. If you need any more info let me know.

Debbie
Old May 28th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Student Visa

There are heaps of hairdressing jobs out here, full time and part time. Don't worry.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

witney is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought i would update. I have had confirmation today that our visa has been approved (yeah) haven't sold the house (no!!) have put back until February.
We are also looking into PR status now as my husband is a Binder and Finsher which is now on the modl listing unsure if the skills he has are what they are looking for but we might as well look into it why we wait.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 7:59 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbiehaworth72
HI

I am new on British Expats site and can hopefully be of help to people coming over on Student Visas. I did the hairdressing course. I met lots of English on the course, I will be honest it is not easy at all, I thought it would be. If you can I would study something that you are interested in. The two year full time is 2 Academic Years (72 weeks). The college I attended did not have holidays so the 2 years ended up as 18 months. Full time is classed as 3 days per week. If you need any more info let me know.

Debbie
Hi Debbie!
Glad to hear from someone out there already doing the hairdressing! and also glad to hear there is work too! We are hopefully coming to Geelong in January,me doing hairdressing Him indoors planning on fishing and chillin out!:
If you dont mind me asking How did you find living off the 20 hr week? We are trying to sort out our limited budget ie enough for a couple months rent, cheap runaround, initial rental etc, and although I have warned the great himself he is eatin beans on toast from now on! Its hard when you havent actually lived there, so any advice info tips etc would be great,
Hope it all goes great for you PR, good on ya for getting out there and giving it a go! just starting to plan our escape and admire anyone who is doing it already!
Michele ( soon to be hairdresser!)
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations Witney, good luck with everything!!

Cheer
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.