Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

State sponsored but want to live elsewhere - 2013/14 threads

State sponsored but want to live elsewhere - 2013/14 threads

Old May 14th 2014, 9:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State sponsored but want to live elsewhere - 2013/14 threads

Originally Posted by alihasan
Hi,

I arrived in Perth on 6th February on a 190 WA SS visa. I have been constantly applying for jobs even before arriving and so far I have been unable to secure even one interview. I would love to stay in Perth as I like this place. But I don't want to starve. I want to know, should I apply for jobs in other states before approaching Skilled Migration Western Australia for a release? And what proof will they need, will the 250 jobs I applied and the rejection emails from those companies who bothered to send a rejection suffice?
Thanks for your reply.
Have you had anyone check your resume? It may also be worth applying for directly advertised jobs rather than through agents or vice versa depending on the work you do.

If you've not managed to secure even one interview but there are lots of jobs to apply for, are you applying for jobs you are qualified for?
Old May 14th 2014, 9:55 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
None of us wants to make less money or work simple jobs. However, it's a fact of life that being an immigrant sometimes you have to take a step down before you get the big break. Both my husband and I took steps back in our careers - my husband was unemployed for nearly 9 months before finding work and my skill & 20+ years' work experience was not recognised here so I had to change jobs to being a temp typist. Certainly it was not ideal, but we did do whatever it takes to make a living and honour our committments.
People who were born and educated here are often in the same boat, and take whatever work they can find while continuing to look for a job in their field. Newbee, I hope it works out for your friend but he might just have to take a 'simple job if he wants to eat and pay his bills.
Old May 14th 2014, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

alihasan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Have you had anyone check your resume? It may also be worth applying for directly advertised jobs rather than through agents or vice versa depending on the work you do.

If you've not managed to secure even one interview but there are lots of jobs to apply for, are you applying for jobs you are qualified for?
Hey, many thanks for your reply. I have had a few recruiters and some industry professionals look at my resume and as per them, there is nothing wrong with it. I work as a civil engineer and have 3 year experience in Dubai. I have been mostly applying to jobs that either demand similar or lower qualifications than mine. I have also tried approaching both recruiters and companies. The recruiters believe that it is due to the bad market while companies, well they don't bother doing anything except sending a Ctrl+C Ctrl+V reply from one of their rejection letter templates. I really dunno what to do now. I was approached by a recruiter with an offer in Brisbane a week after I arrived in Perth, but I politely turned it down as I didn't want to violate the SS agreement.
Old May 14th 2014, 10:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alihasan
Hey, many thanks for your reply. I have had a few recruiters and some industry professionals look at my resume and as per them, there is nothing wrong with it. I work as a civil engineer and have 3 year experience in Dubai. I have been mostly applying to jobs that either demand similar or lower qualifications than mine. I have also tried approaching both recruiters and companies. The recruiters believe that it is due to the bad market while companies, well they don't bother doing anything except sending a Ctrl+C Ctrl+V reply from one of their rejection letter templates. I really dunno what to do now. I was approached by a recruiter with an offer in Brisbane a week after I arrived in Perth, but I politely turned it down as I didn't want to violate the SS agreement.
It is hard going when you first arrive - and the recruitment wheels turn slowly. There may be nothing wrong with the resume, but if you no anyone who can take a look for you, may still be worth having someone look at it with fresh eyes. If you have any contacts from past contracts, use those as well as setting a linkedin profile if you haven't already.

If you are going to ask to be released from the obligations of state sponsorship, might be worth looking at the job markets elsewhere but continue to apply in WA until then. Good luck