Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I hope you are getting overtime payments.
I wish!!! "Merge one, get one free" perhaps?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, a lot of people are asking George for very specific help in their individual cases. Please bear in mind if you are doing this that he does have a business to run and a living to earn, and it wouldn't take a genius to work out that he is going to have a lot of paying clients looking for answers too.

If you want a reply to a very specific situation, please be patient, and don't address the question specifically to George or any other agent - other posters may be able to answer you, including other agents. And remember that it may well be in your own best interests right now to consult a registered migration agent yourselves, rather than relying on the free - and of necessity fairly general - information on here.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
b) People who applied before 1 September 2007 are subject to "cap and kill" legislation, ie the Department is going to process a certain number (not yet announced as far as I know) and then terminate the rest, in which case all application fees paid to the Department of Immigration will be returned to those applicants (directly or through their agents).
Australia - supposedly the land of the fair go - should be ashamed of itself. Not content with playing with people's lives for two years already, now it is going to dash the dreams of people who applied in good faith and whose only "crime" is that DIAC (or some other third party) have been slow in processing their applications thus far.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Numerous threads merged - please keep all your comments in here and don't start new threads!!!
A quick question for you Pollyana. It has just been announced that teachers will go on the new priority list. My brother in law is a fully qaulified primary school teacher and is on a family sponsored visa as he is 43 years old. His application has been in 12 months now and they where thinking it would be another 12 months at least before hearing anything. Now that teachers will go on a priority list will this mean his application will automatically go to the top of the list?
I would be grateful for any info you could finf out for me

Regards Raven ps it was on the 9 news this morning

Last edited by raven; Feb 7th 2010 at 9:11 pm. Reason: extra
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
A quick question for you Pollyana. It has just been announced that teachers will go on the new priority list. My brother in law is a fully qaulified primary school teacher and is on a family sponsored visa as he is 43 years old. His application has been in 12 months now and they where thinking it would be another 12 months at least before hearing anything. Now that teachers will go on a priority list will this mean his application will automatically go to the top of the list?
I would be grateful for any info you could finf out for me

Regards Raven ps it was on the 9 news this morning
I think this is misinformation. A new priority list of occupations has not been announced today. Primary teachers have not been added to a list of some description.

There will be some new lists released in the coming months, but as far as I can tell, nothing announced today would effect a primary school teacher who has already lodged their application.

Why are you addressing your question to one person on the forum btw?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Duncan_Mc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by louie
Australia - supposedly the land of the fair go - should be ashamed of itself. Not content with playing with people's lives for two years already, now it is going to dash the dreams of people who applied in good faith and whose only "crime" is that DIAC (or some other third party) have been slow in processing their applications thus far.
Yes, you're right. No fair go, no hope, no help. Just unhumane behaviour.

Shame on them!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

taz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Minister's announcement on GSM visas – 8 February 2010

ok, I have read it and digested it and have a question... I hope I am clear...

So, the MODL has now been revolked and the CSL will be revolked mid 2010 when they introduce the new SOL... so, what happens to the priority processing then which is currently all about the CSL??? Will they change it again I wonder???

Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by taz2008
ok, I have read it and digested it and have a question... I hope I am clear...

So, the MODL has now been revolked and the CSL will be revolked mid 2010 when they introduce the new SOL... so, what happens to the priority processing then which is currently all about the CSL??? Will they change it again I wonder???

My understanding is that those who are currently on the CSL and will move to the SOL will still get priority processing. Please someone tell me if I am wrong though as it is just my reading of things this morning.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think this is misinformation. A new priority list of occupations has not been announced today. Primary teachers have not been added to a list of some description.

There will be some new lists released in the coming months, but as far as I can tell, nothing announced today would effect a primary school teacher who has already lodged their application.

Why are you addressing your question to one person on the forum btw?
As you are not aware being as you are in the uk and not Brisvegas it was announced on the channel nine news this morning
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:02 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

About time that the MODL got sorted out. We're desperately short on engineers as is the industry on a whole, and yet jobs like hairdressing are allowed to eat up the quota. The parity hasn't been correct.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...a-mining-boom/
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough

i wonder if anyone from IMMI monitors this forum and knows every "treats and tricks" so reports back to Chris Evans. Looks like he knows all the back doors now to shut!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default SKILLS in DEMAND LIST TO BE ABOLISHED TODAY!!

A massive change in the migration policy will be announced in about 2 hours
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:04 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SKILLS in DEMAND LIST TO BE ABOLISHED TODAY!!

Accountants, Hairdressers and Cooks will need to find another route in. According to Skynews Teachers Nurses and Doctors will still be alright.

SKILLED migrants who line up a job will be given priority to come to Australia, while those who don't will find it harder to gain a visa, under a revamp of the nation's immigration program to be unveiled today.
The current occupations-in-demand list will be scrapped immediately and replaced with a new list of highly skilled professions and trades to be introduced mid-year.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans will also announce that the "points test" used to assess migrants on their qualifications, English language skills and experience will be overhauled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new test could better reward qualifications from ivy-league universities, English skills and certain occupations.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageGovt planning to tighten immigration .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
The government will also consider a new system in which businesses and federal, state and territory governments could review applications and prioritise certain candidates.

In a speech to the Australian National University, Senator Evans will declare that aspects of the current scheme are "rusty".

The changes are likely to hurt overseas students in Australia who are training in areas scrapped from the skilled occupation list.

Those students will have until the end of 2012 to apply for a temporary skilled graduate visa, with the hope of acquiring work experience and sponsorship from an employer.

In addition, the government will deny skilled migration visas to about 20,000 people who applied from overseas before September 2007, when less stringent rules applied.

Under the changes, state and territory governments will develop their own migration plans and the Immigration Minister will gain new powers to limit the number of visas for any one occupation
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:24 am
Banned

It's a shame for many people but this was always going to happen. IF the UK hadn't made it next to impossible to migrate too then this wouldn't of happened. As a result many Aussies from the UK were forced home which took up more labor obviously.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:41 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by believer
i wonder if anyone from IMMI monitors this forum and knows every "treats and tricks" so reports back to Chris Evans. Looks like he knows all the back doors now to shut!
Trust me, the "treats and tricks" used by UK based migrants pales into insignificance when compared to those used by overseas students within Australia.

Typical are catering colleges with no kitchens, and hairdressing schools that are actually hair salons where the students sweep floors for no pay for 2 years, then apply as a skilled migrant.

Sadly I personally know many students who are abusing the system, and they would probably make good Australians, however they have no interest and no ability to take the jobs that they are being admitted under.
Australia will still need skilled migrants in many areas, so I really wouldn’t give up hope yet.

But the days of rorting the system will come to an end.

I personally feel very sorry for those right now who feel let down, disappointed and worried about their migration hopes. Please don’t give up.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.