IELTS TESTS

Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:07 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS TESTS

Originally Posted by msabiransari
Yes, I agree, thats why I started using "native-english speakers" rather "English".

Right that would involve comprehension but its very basic level and it is more of learning the tricks then comprehension.

native English speaker will find the IELTS easy. but there is a string attached to this if you read on. If you dont read after this sentence you will get opposite meaning.

By the way have you ever appeared in the IELTS exam? If yes then what did you score?

I did read your paragraph. It didn't alter the meaning one jot. I disagree about "learning the tricks". I would say "learning comprehension" would be more applicable.

I think it's important to know, what exactly are you basing your assumption that native English speakers would find it easy on?

Actually we didn't do the IELTS. We applied in 2009 & relied on our UK passports. I don't think I would do that badly, but my husband, who is also a native English speaker, would likely struggle. He's extremely bright, but his English skills aren't as good.

So, what are you basing your assumptions on?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:10 pm

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very interesting. I have never worked in England I dont know if professionals use 'lyk dis cos wot is wrong wiv dat?' kind of language in conversation. In States, it is very bad here to use this type of language in emails and correspondance. I have never seen such examples in my 5.5 years here in USA. I have worked for 6 different companies here so its not one company experience.
Another example of comprehension. You appear to have not comprehended that I was pointing out that it is unacceptable for professionals to use that language. Also that it was native English speakers that were using it. They would undoubtedly have failed the IELTS because they have a poor grasp of the English language.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

msabiransari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I did read your paragraph. It didn't alter the meaning one jot. I disagree about "learning the tricks". I would say "learning comprehension" would be more applicable.

I think it's important to know, what exactly are you basing your assumption that native English speakers would find it easy on?

Actually we didn't do the IELTS. We applied in 2009 & relied on our UK passports. I don't think I would do that badly, but my husband, who is also a native English speaker, would likely struggle. He's extremely bright, but his English skills aren't as good.

So, what are you basing your assumptions on?
It is very simple actually. Here is what I am saying.

For example listening section.
Just listen the conversation in this section. You will understand everything but you will not be able to answer questions. Why? Because they talk about numbers, years, counts and e.t.c. You cannot keep track of them until the end of the conversation and all the questions are based on those statistics.
Do you think native english speaker need to improve his/her english skills?
On the other hand, non-native speaker dont even catch what they are talking about? They need to first build their listening skills.

Native-english speaker need to learn that (just an example),
1. Read all the questions first before listening starts.
2. Find out if they are talking about year or number of wickets a bowler has taken?
3. Highlight important words in the questions.
4. Write down all years/numbers/counts while you listen.
and so on.

I hope you understand it now.

It will be more clear if you read through IELTS material so that you will have better idea about that.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:01 pm

It is very simple actually. Here is what I am saying.

For example listening section.
Just listen the conversation in this section. You will understand everything but you will not be able to answer questions. Why? Because they talk about numbers, years, counts and e.t.c. You cannot keep track of them until the end of the conversation and all the questions are based on those statistics.
Do you think native english speaker need to improve his/her english skills?
On the other hand, non-native speaker dont even catch what they are talking about? They need to first build their listening skills.

Native-english speaker need to learn that (just an example),
1. Read all the questions first before listening starts.
2. Find out if they are talking about year or number of wickets a bowler has taken?
3. Highlight important words in the questions.
4. Write down all years/numbers/counts while you listen.
and so on.

I hope you understand it now.

It will be more clear if you read through IELTS material so that you will have better idea about that.
That listening section is another example of comprehension. I agree that revision of available material is important, but what I am saying is that native English speaker does not necessarily equal competent English speaker (for the purposes of examination). So don't assume that all native English speakers are competent to the level that would be required for high marks at examination. Similarly, I wouldn't assume that all speakers of English as a second language would necessarily be extremely poor to the point of failure.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I'm in the IELTS exam!

Last edited by bcworld; Mar 24th 2011 at 9:28 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld
I feel like I'm in the IELTS exam!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

andy2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS Validity

Originally Posted by funonrun
IELTS results are valid for two years from the date of passing the test.

Hope that answers your query !
Thanks for the info mate....cheers
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

If anything, I have realised that I had better get some practice in before my IELTS next week. So for that, I thank everyone for giving me the realisation that I won't walk in and score 9 all round.

Well, I will for speaking and writing....

It's still a stupid system though.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dobbsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I did the IELTS last week. There are different universities up and down the country that do the test, but they get booked up really quickly, I had to wait about 6 weeks for a space at my nearest centre. There were about 50 people there, mostly English that was not there first language... I think they have to take this test for Uni/Education puposes to stay in the country?... anyway... I brought the book for £10 on line which helped me prepare for it. It was 3 hours none stop in tight exam conditions (listening/reading/writing) in that order. Then we were all given an appointment for our speaking interview... I had over 2 hour wait. The speaking went on for about 10-15 mins... and I found this bit the hardest, even thou I am as English as you get!!!!! It was hard because she put you on the spot.... I had to tell her about the town where I live.. which was easy.... but then she asked me if I like animals?... well I don't really... so apart from saying, no..... I had to think of something quick to expand my answer... then I started waffling and it all went down hill from there!!!!. I find out on the 4th April if I have got a 7 (which is what I need). My advice.... make sure you answer the question, not waffle on... they they know you have understood the question... and use a wide range of vocabulary..... GOOD LUCK
Old Mar 26th 2011, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dobbsy
Hi, I did the IELTS last week. There are different universities up and down the country that do the test, but they get booked up really quickly, I had to wait about 6 weeks for a space at my nearest centre. There were about 50 people there, mostly English that was not there first language... I think they have to take this test for Uni/Education puposes to stay in the country?... anyway... I brought the book for £10 on line which helped me prepare for it. It was 3 hours none stop in tight exam conditions (listening/reading/writing) in that order. Then we were all given an appointment for our speaking interview... I had over 2 hour wait. The speaking went on for about 10-15 mins... and I found this bit the hardest, even thou I am as English as you get!!!!! It was hard because she put you on the spot.... I had to tell her about the town where I live.. which was easy.... but then she asked me if I like animals?... well I don't really... so apart from saying, no..... I had to think of something quick to expand my answer... then I started waffling and it all went down hill from there!!!!. I find out on the 4th April if I have got a 7 (which is what I need). My advice.... make sure you answer the question, not waffle on... they they know you have understood the question... and use a wide range of vocabulary..... GOOD LUCK
Hi, I also sat IELTS last week, I only had 2 days notice as was contacted with a cancellation, so that may be an option if people are finding long waiting times.

I found the reading part the hardest, as you didn't have much time to read all the paragraphs, and matching headings to these paragraphs all on the same subject is not impossible but made much harder under the exam conditions and the limited time. I think I would have benefited from doing more practice, was not expecting to only have 2 nights to revise. Fingers crossed that I pass, altho I will not be surprised if I have to re sit. I need 7's across each. At least I will be more prepared if I do have to do it again.

The writing, listening and speaking were all fairly easy (hope I don't jinx it by saying that). I did manage to revise on part 1 of the writing, which definately helped! (there are loads of practice materials free on internet)

I was chatting to several foreign people before and after exam, most were sitting it for 2nd time, and english was obviously their 2nd language. They were looking for level 5 and 6 mostly to get into uni. I really felt for them, as if I found it hard, then god knows how they were doing it! They do preparation classes at small cost in Rugby.

My advice would definately be to practice, practice, practice!!!

Good luck to everyone who has to go through this! If I pass with good results I will share some advice, lol.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:17 am
Just Joined

nicked_name is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I might share a little bit of my experience with IELTS given that there are going to be some major changes in the point scoring system in July 2011, a lot of us (applying for skilled migration) will be aiming to get maximum points for English proficiency.

I had sat the IELTS academic test in December 2010 and I was fortunate enough to get 8 minimum in all four bands with an average band of 8.5

There were three things that had helped me a lot:
1) speed (for reading and writing)
2) accuracy (of grammar and punctuation)
3) being able to articulate as many ideas as possible (using mind maps to come with as many ideas quickly).

So the key here is to practice as much as possible and get used to writing and reading under pressure.
If you want to get 8 in the writing section, it is important to
a) write more than the required 150/250 words for the respective sections and
b) have no punctuation or grammatical errors.
The marking criterion (as I understand) is quite strict on this.

Finally, do not forget to keep abreast on current affairs and social issues as this is very helpful in the writing part and also gives your more things to talk about in the speaking test.

I hope this is helpful.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 3:34 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I did the IELTs a couple of years ago and was genuinely surprised at how tough they make it. Twisty little questions that to my mind were often ambiguous. It was also bloody hard finding an available test date in time so I ended up flying to New Zealand overnight to get into a test. I did get all 9s but I know I certainly didn't get 100% (have a degree in English, am a qualified English teacher, am English and have been a journalist for many years) so I feel for non-native speakers. I definitely would recommend practice for the awkward questions, some of the latter parts of each section smacked more of technique rather than right or wrong. Another thing is to check whether they ask for English or Standard Australian English - which are not the same thing.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

aPerfectCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I did the IELTs a couple of years ago and was genuinely surprised at how tough they make it. Twisty little questions that to my mind were often ambiguous. It was also bloody hard finding an available test date in time so I ended up flying to New Zealand overnight to get into a test. I did get all 9s but I know I certainly didn't get 100% (have a degree in English, am a qualified English teacher, am English and have been a journalist for many years) so I feel for non-native speakers. I definitely would recommend practice for the awkward questions, some of the latter parts of each section smacked more of technique rather than right or wrong. Another thing is to check whether they ask for English or Standard Australian English - which are not the same thing.
Ohh, lucky you. I never felt the urge of being a journalist before other than when I had to sit the writing test. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a 7 and its really frustrating since I always get more than 7 on all other bands.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:55 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aPerfectCircle
Ohh, lucky you. I never felt the urge of being a journalist before other than when I had to sit the writing test. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a 7 and its really frustrating since I always get more than 7 on all other bands.
I'm English though!! Huge advantage. Australian immigration policy is favourable to English speakers. Are you Egyptian? Cairo is one of my favorite cities in the world! I wish you luck for your IELTs

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Mar 27th 2011 at 10:05 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

aPerfectCircle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm English though!! Huge advantage. Australian immigration policy is favourable to English speakers. Are you Egyptian? Cairo is one of my favorite cities in the world! I wish you luck for your IELTs
yes I am, but thats kinda odd its one my least favorite cities in the world.

But yes of course its a huge advantage, and at the same time it would be more reasonable to consider not being an English a disadvantage if I had the same level for the other modules but I am only stuck on the writing test, and every time I had to wait two extra weeks to get my score rechecked because I always get around 6 or 6.5 in the writing and 8.5 in speaking which is a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.