IELTS TESTS

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

KurlyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS TESTS

Hi Everyone

Under the new rules, when I apply for GSM subclass 475 or 176, I will need the top points for the IELTS test (20 points), which I need a pass of 8.

Has anyone done these tests, what is involved and can they be retaken (if so, how long between sittings as it were).

Cheers

KurlyK
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IELTS TESTS

IELTS.ORG
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

I'm in the same boat, need to get the 20 points under the new points test. I have just scheduled my IELTS test in South London on 2nd April.

Most of the appointments are on a Saturday and take all day. You need to book the General test (as opposed to the Academic one) for migration purposes.

There are four parts to the assessment: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. If you google IELTS practice test you get some good resources with example tests. It doesn't appear overly easy, even for us fluent English speakers, but looking at the tests anyone with a strong grasp of English should be able to get 8 as long as you can handle the 'test' element.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Yes you can re-sit. My tip is just read the questions and text carefully.

the time between the re-sit depends on the next available exam, just book it again.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:56 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lymm Mover
Yes you can re-sit. My tip is just read the questions and text carefully.

the time between the re-sit depends on the next available exam, just book it again.
Count two weeks it takes for the marking to come back in. Some centers have a 4-6 weeks advance booking, so you have some time to practice between tests.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by KurlyK
Hi Everyone

Under the new rules, when I apply for GSM subclass 475 or 176, I will need the top points for the IELTS test (20 points), which I need a pass of 8.

Has anyone done these tests, what is involved and can they be retaken (if so, how long between sittings as it were).

Cheers

KurlyK
Get the IELTS test book from any academic book shop or online and do a few practices, the hardest parts of the tests are often the listening and the writing (listening because it's surprising to have to be alert from the get-go and writing because of grammar, spelling etc). You can take an IELTS test as soon as you want to after your first test but it takes 13 days minimum to get the test score back so as someone already mentioned on here, wait to get your results and if you didn't do too well the first time, retake the test.

Many people take the first test as a way of testing your initial ability and don't feel stupid if you don't pass first time. I've personally known Drs from the UK who have taken the test and failed to get the required 7 or 8 required for GMC registration, after being brought up and raised in the UK their whole lives.

If you have an IELTS question, let me know, i've marked the test, ran the classes to prepare for the test, invigalated and administered the test as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks everyone you have been very helpful.

unfortunately because of the new rules it will be approx 2 years before I can apply - as I need to finish my Honours Degree with the Open University!

But I will remember or this advice (or ask for it again!)

Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:21 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KurlyK
thanks everyone you have been very helpful.

unfortunately because of the new rules it will be approx 2 years before I can apply - as I need to finish my Honours Degree with the Open University!

But I will remember or this advice (or ask for it again!)

Cheers
Best of luck when you do apply (and with your degree too )
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

Just curious as to why you will need a score of 8 for the IELTS, for the 176 visa with the new points test. Is that because you are lacking points or is it a new rule? On the immi site the new points test guidelines states that you can have either proficient English which is a 7 or superior English which is an 8. Have you read some other info that states something different?

Last edited by beachlady; Mar 22nd 2011 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

On a website (cannot remember which one now) where I looked up the new rules on points, I would need the top points score to get 65 or over, overall.

However, once 1st July is here, I will look on the official site/talk to my Migration Agent to confirm the points requirements.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Drell
I've personally known Drs from the UK who have taken the test and failed to get the required 7 or 8 required for GMC registration, after being brought up and raised in the UK their whole lives.
That just tells me there is something wrong with the whole system. I was born, raised and educated here, if I can't be assessed as having proficient English then surely the test isn't doing what it is designed to do.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beachlady
Just curious as to why you will need a score of 8 for the IELTS, for the 176 visa with the new points test. Is that because you are lacking points or is it a new rule? On the immi site the new points test guidelines states that you can have either proficient English which is a 7 or superior English which is an 8. Have you read some other info that states something different?
I think the real issue raised by KurlyK was that she needs to do the test and wants to make sure she gets top marks. There are other marks available elsewhere but to be sure of getting 65 points overall most people will bank on getting 20 points for the IELTS element.

Regardless of how many points she needs to get, the fact is that everyone has to take the IELTS test for post-1st July applications, there are no exceptions.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

shelly23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: IELTS TESTS

Originally Posted by Stratts
That just tells me there is something wrong with the whole system. I was born, raised and educated here, if I can't be assessed as having proficient English then surely the test isn't doing what it is designed to do.
I'm a nurse born in the U.K and sat the test last Saturaday 19/3. and I can tell you it was bloody hard. The listening was ok as long as you read the questions whenyou are given the time, I found the reading hardest due to time given not because it was that hard. But don't go in thinking that because u were born here it will be a walk in the park. Good luck though, I'll get my results that day, so might be crying, and have to wait for another opening.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant futureLymm Mover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shelly23
I'm a nurse born in the U.K and sat the test last Saturaday 19/3. and I can tell you it was bloody hard. The listening was ok as long as you read the questions whenyou are given the time, I found the reading hardest due to time given not because it was that hard. But don't go in thinking that because u were born here it will be a walk in the park. Good luck though, I'll get my results that day, so might be crying, and have to wait for another opening.
Sadly, when I did it 2 years ago I thought having a degree and born and bred English I would walk it, in and out in no time. I did not get the required mark in the reading part so failed. I found the reading part very hard, when I re-sat I made sure I read it, read it again and answered the questions, then read it again. The very strict conditions in the exam room were even worse than any exam I had taken before so didn't help.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

bikeframed will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stratts
Regardless of how many points she needs to get, the fact is that everyone has to take the IELTS test for post-1st July applications, there are no exceptions.
I was under the impression that eligible passport holders (United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America, Republic of Ireland) will still be able to apply without an IELTS test but testing will be required to be granted more than 0 points. Has there been an update from DIAC stating otherwise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.