IELTS

Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about
Question IELTS

Hello, Everyone!
This is my first post on BE and I've enjoyed reading all the posts on here. It's good to know I'm not the only one with doubts and worries! We're planning to move to Oz next Jan/Feb, Brisbane, hopefully, and my question is do people born and bred in England with a British passport need to take an IELTS to get 25 points for their application? I am a registered nurse and we're applying for a 175 visa. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS

Unfortunately its a reality for most of us. I have to do it even though I can prove that I've lived in Ireland for 26 years and have worked in IT for about 12. Its not about proving your english, its just a silly way to make up points (at a cost to you).
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

dandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura aboutdandan1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that. I'd better get booking it, then!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dandan1
Hello, Everyone!
This is my first post on BE and I've enjoyed reading all the posts on here. It's good to know I'm not the only one with doubts and worries! We're planning to move to Oz next Jan/Feb, Brisbane, hopefully, and my question is do people born and bred in England with a British passport need to take an IELTS to get 25 points for their application? I am a registered nurse and we're applying for a 175 visa. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi welcome to BE.... unfortunately if you need the 25 points then the simple answer is yes you need to take the IELTS test. If English is your native language then you would get 15 points without taking the test.
The test is split into either General or Academic path ways. It depends on your career / trade as to which type of test you need to take.
The level of competency in each of 4 areas (Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking) are assessed. you need to score a certain level to qualify for the 25 points. For some people its an average figure across all for areas, for others its a set value per area.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Hello, Everyone!
Hi I too am a nurse and hopefully going out to Brisbane in June. I had the dilemma of having to sit the IELTS because am 5 points short - was really insulted as born and bred in England,A level in English and 2 nursing qualifications from UK. However, decided to go down the route of trying to get job offer. Really wanted to wait until got to Oz before looking for job but just couldnt get over the anger at being forced to sit English exam - so job offer it was. To be honest I think this is the easier option. Sent my CV off to 3 hospitals and had fairly immediate responses with the subsequent offer of 2 job offers. You are not commited to take the job when you get there but I think I struck lucky because one of the jobs I was offered is right up my street and plus have the benefit now of having income when I get there.
If you do decide to do the ILETS you will need to practice because its not as simple as first appears. Do a search on google and you will get link to their website where you can do on line practice.
Whatever your choice I wish you all the best.

Nicola
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou for your reply, you've made me think twice now. I have Googled it and had a go at some of the on line tests but some of the answers were a bit ambiguous. Any idea what the pass mark is for 25 points? If you're offered a job prior to applying for your visa can you still go the independent route or does this then become sponsored?? Thanks for your help. BTW, will have quite a few nursing questions for you as soon as I get the results of my skills assessment,(sent for 9 weeks ago), if you don't mind, but will ask them on the nursing forum. Thanks again.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea what the pass mark is for 25 points?

You need to score 7 in all four parts of the test in order to gain 25 points.
MOre info

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ty-english.htm
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers! That doesn't sound too bad
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

THESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant futureTHESHARMANS has a brilliant future

Thankyou for your reply, you've made me think twice now. I have Googled it and had a go at some of the on line tests but some of the answers were a bit ambiguous. Any idea what the pass mark is for 25 points? If you're offered a job prior to applying for your visa can you still go the independent route or does this then become sponsored?? Thanks for your help. BTW, will have quite a few nursing questions for you as soon as I get the results of my skills assessment,(sent for 9 weeks ago), if you don't mind, but will ask them on the nursing forum. Thanks again.
Any questions please feel free to ask. If you have a job offer you can still go the independent route which is probably best depending on your circumstances -you are not commited to any employer but having a sponsored visa I believe you are obliged to stay with them for, I think,usually 2 years.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

That's what I thought, too, and I really didn't want to do that. How long before you intended to go were you offered your job?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

That's what I thought, too, and I really didn't want to do that. How long before you intended to go were you offered your job?
Got offered the job last Thurs and sent online visa in a few days later. Still need to attach the job offer and one or two other things but looking at some previous threads someone sent their application in Oct and got granted visa in Jan - so hopefully as my application is straight forward it could be granted soon. The hosp where I have the job offer realises that it could be several months before I get out there and are cool with that. I think that most hosps are so desperate for nurses that they are prepared to wait - there's no other choice really.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud of

Congratulations on the job!!!!!
Good Luck!!!!

I've done the IELTS last saturday and only the bit that was slightly more difficult were the reading passages... Don't know the results yet but hopefully I've done ok!!

Debby

Last edited by dandn; Jan 23rd 2008 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

reshlobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... does anyone know if I can use TOEFL scores instead of IELTS?

I have just recently sat for TOEFL ( new format) ... and I've scored 115/120.
Reading, Speaking and Listening sections were 29/30 each and the Writing section I scored 28/30. From what I understand these are good scores and TOEFL is equivalent to IELTS... but I dont see any immi / gov / IEAust sites mention TOEFL. Besides this, I also have 12yrs of schooling and a 4yr Engineering degree, all of them with English as the medium of instruction.

Any thoughts, anyone? I am not an English native speaker, but I can provide any documentation necessary to prove that I have a high level of proficiency in that language - just not too keen on answering IELTS to save time and money.

ANY advice/ help would be appreciated!!!

Last edited by reshlobo; Jan 23rd 2008 at 2:27 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

mb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nice

Originally Posted by dandn
Good Luck!!!!

I've done the IELTS last saturday and only the bit that was slightly more difficult were the reading passages... Don't know the results yet but hopefully I've done ok!!

Debby
Even I appeared for the IELTS exam on 19th Jan. Which topics did you get for the reading module?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dandn
Good Luck!!!!

Debby

Gosh...are you still waiting for your ACS result since july??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.