I`VE JUST BEEN "CEASED"

Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I`VE JUST BEEN "CEASED"

Really sorry to hear your news. Worrying times for lots of us still waiting for visas that we thought had been lodged in good faith. Had no idea till recently that valid applications could just be deemed as never lodged if the cap and cease bill goes through, with no appeal. Naively thought that if you met all the requirements when you lodged your application that you were fairly safe. It's probably always been there in the small print?
Wish you all the best.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's not unjust. That would assume that you have a right to a visa and no one does. It's depressing, frustrating and possibly unfair but not unjust.
I have to disagree with you there. I think it is completely unjust and unjustifiable and that you do (or at least should) have a right to a visa if you qualify for one, which this chap appears to have done. The only reason people in his situation don't already have a visa is because of DIAC's incompetence, yet he is the one made to suffer. His life has been on hold for three years and he has incurred significant costs over and above the visa fee; Australia should be ashamed of itself.

This whole ceasing of pre September 2007 applicants is morally wrong in my view. I could accept the new cap and cease provisions as long as they apply only to future applicants who would be aware of the risk they take, but when the OP applied (roughly the same time as me) there was never any indication that you would not get your visa - eventually - if you had your points, were healthy and had no criminal background etc. The goalposts have since been changed and that is wrong.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBlogsOfOz
Soon this will be thread number 395678987 that will be closed by guess who?
Originally Posted by Bossfishy1
I know! she got a grudge against me because I once suggested she was hormonal (Traffic warden springs to mind!).
I just wanted to air my views and let off some steam,seams to be a crime on this site if your not sweetness and light.
Anyway I dont think there`s any need to visit this site anymore!
Perhaps the 2 of you should take a read of the site rules. Particularly numbers 14 & 15...

14. Anyone who finds a posted message objectionable is encouraged to notify a moderator immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame if we determine that removal is necessary.

15. Discussions about moderator or administrator actions are welcome in email or local private messages, but should not be discussed in public forums. This is out of respect for the members, moderators and policy involved.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBlogsOfOz
Soon this will be thread number 395678987 that will be closed by guess who?
Originally Posted by Bossfishy1
I know! she got a grudge against me because I once suggested she was hormonal (Traffic warden springs to mind!).
I just wanted to air my views and let off some steam,seams to be a crime on this site if your not sweetness and light.
Anyway I dont think there`s any need to visit this site anymore!
I and other Mods close threads that either have no purpose or degenerate in to rudeness and unhelpful comments.

As for the comment that I have a grudge, sorry but I have no idea who you are. There are several hundred posters around at any one time and apart from the people I actually know, I take little notice in who the poster is. I take notice of the content.

If you continue to break the rules I'll close the thread. If you don't I won't. Not complicated.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by louie
I have to disagree with you there. I think it is completely unjust and unjustifiable and that you do (or at least should) have a right to a visa if you qualify for one, which this chap appears to have done. The only reason people in his situation don't already have a visa is because of DIAC's incompetence, yet he is the one made to suffer. His life has been on hold for three years and he has incurred significant costs over and above the visa fee; Australia should be ashamed of itself.

This whole ceasing of pre September 2007 applicants is morally wrong in my view. I could accept the new cap and cease provisions as long as they apply only to future applicants who would be aware of the risk they take, but when the OP applied (roughly the same time as me) there was never any indication that you would not get your visa - eventually - if you had your points, were healthy and had no criminal background etc. The goalposts have since been changed and that is wrong.
Applying for a visa is luxury not a right. You are living delusions of grandeur to believe you have a right to visa. So you are saying because you paid money, u have the right? Australia has the right to protect its work force, and infrastructure.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wookiee06
Applying for a visa is luxury not a right. You are living delusions of grandeur to believe you have a right to visa. So you are saying because you paid money, u have the right? Australia has the right to protect its work force, and infrastructure.
I think OP was correct to think he qualified for a visa, I don't think he (or Louie) ever said they had a *right* to one but they did meet the qualification criteria set out by the Australian government.

And indeed the OP still does meet the criteria in all respects other than in the three years he has been waiting he has turned 45.

How is cancelling the application of an electrician who applied 3 years ago protecting the Australian workforce exactly? Considering other electricians are still free to apply today and more recent applications are still valid.

This is not about protecting the workforce, this is about clearing a backlog because the government does not know what else to do with it.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Qantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of light

I do not think louie was advocating that anyone has a "right" to a visa. On the contrary, people should have the right to certainty in the regulations as published at time of application. The retroactive effect of the Cap&Cease powers, as well as any kind of ex post facto law, is both unfair and make a mockery of the rule of law as applied in a modern, democratic society. If the OP satisfied all published requirements to get a visa 3 years ago, it is not only unfair but morally reprehensible for DIAC to turn around and tell him "oops sorry we've changed our minds, go take a hike."

Last edited by Qantasflyer; Jun 29th 2010 at 9:54 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Totally agree. There is no statement made by the Australian Government anywhere that says if you apply we will guarantee you will get a visa. It's a all a game of risk that we knowingly enter into!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellyj
Totally agree. There is no statement made by the Australian Government anywhere that says if you apply we will guarantee you will get a visa. It's a all a game of risk that we knowingly enter into!

So hand on your heart, can you honestly say that if you waited for a visa grant for three years and were then told that you could not have one for no other reason than you had been waiting for three years, you would shrug it off and be perfectly happy about it? You wouldn't feel a bit peeved, or angry or hard done by?

Oh and actually it was perfectly reasonable for people to assume that if they met the criteria for a visa they would get a visa. There was never an element of subjectivity about this, CO's couldn't turn down visas because they were in a bad mood or something. When I applied for my visa I did not consider it was a risk as I knew I met the criteria.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 29th 2010 at 10:36 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Qantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of lightQantasflyer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There was never an element of subjectivity about this, CO's couldn't turn down visas because they were in a bad mood or something.
That's about to change I'm afraid. As if the existing Cap&Cease powers (S39 Migration Act) weren't bad enough, the Minister is proposing an enhancement of these powers with the Visa Capping Bill which is currently undergoing a Senate Inquiry. The Bill would enable the Minister to Cap&Terminate any visa applications based on unspecified "special characteristics." This effectively makes the entire visa application process nothing more than an audition or lottery system.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Qantasflyer
That's about to change I'm afraid. As if the existing Cap&Cease powers (S39 Migration Act) weren't bad enough, the Minister is proposing an enhancement of these powers with the Visa Capping Bill which is currently undergoing a Senate Inquiry. The Bill would enable the Minister to Cap&Terminate any visa applications based on unspecified "special characteristics." This effectively makes the entire visa application process nothing more than an audition or lottery system.
Yes I know.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
How is cancelling the application of an electrician who applied 3 years ago protecting the Australian workforce exactly? .
bottom line is you dont presume anything while dealing with DIAC, You apply, if you number comes up, then you are lucky. If it dont then its life. then move on.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Qantasflyer
I do not think louie was advocating that anyone has a "right" to a visa. On the contrary, people should have the right to certainty in the regulations as published at time of application. The retroactive effect of the Cap&Cease powers, as well as any kind of ex post facto law, is both unfair and make a mockery of the rule of law as applied in a modern, democratic society. If the OP satisfied all published requirements to get a visa 3 years ago, it is not only unfair but morally reprehensible for DIAC to turn around and tell him "oops sorry we've changed our minds, go take a hike."
If the Op satisfield the visa requirements there would of been a result long before now. Lousie directly was advocating that anyone has a "right" to a visa
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If the Op satisfield the visa requirements there would of been a result long before now.
Rubbish. Applications have been sitting there for years without being looked at.

Lousie directly was advocating that anyone has a "right" to a visa
She said no such thing. I am not even going to waste my energy explaining / repeating what she said because it was perfectly clear as she said it and she did not say that.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

If the Op satisfield the visa requirements there would of been a result long before now.
You'd hope so. You'd also hope that if the OP had not satisfied the visa requirements, there would also have been a "result long before now." Sadly the reality is that DIAC has a huge backlog and has no idea how to clear it. The invocation of the Cap&Cease powers is a direct admission of this.

Clearly, the skilled migration process has to be tidied up substantially. But applying new standards retroactively to existing visa applicants who have followed the process in good faith and satisfied all the requirements that existed at the time they lodged their applications is not the way to go.

Last edited by Qantasflyer; Jun 29th 2010 at 11:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.