Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

holiday visa and one way flights help please

holiday visa and one way flights help please

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:04 pm
  #1  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default holiday visa and one way flights help please

hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:19 pm
  #2  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,400
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks
If you come on a one way tickets they may well think you plan to stay , so they may refuse you entry. Its a risk you take.
An ETA is not supposed to be used to emigrate on and so they do have the right to send you back if they think you are actually emigrating.

Its something that seems to have become quite a common question recently, and I do find myself thinking that DIAC might start getting tougher about expecting people to prove they are only visiting.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:23 pm
  #3  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If you come on a one way tickets they may well think you plan to stay , so they may refuse you entry. Its a risk you take.
An ETA is not supposed to be used to emigrate on and so they do have the right to send you back if they think you are actually emigrating.

Its something that seems to have become quite a common question recently, and I do find myself thinking that DIAC might start getting tougher about expecting people to prove they are only visiting.

Thats what im worried about dont want to take any chances of being turned away and want to do it the right way as well

We were thinking of booking multi stop flights as I figure we would have to prove we are leaving Australia after our holiday visa runs out Im just wondering is that ok to have inbound Brisbane and out bound Auckland
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:08 am
  #4  
Gone Senile Member
 
Sandra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,014
Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
Thats what im worried about dont want to take any chances of being turned away and want to do it the right way as well

We were thinking of booking multi stop flights as I figure we would have to prove we are leaving Australia after our holiday visa runs out Im just wondering is that ok to have inbound Brisbane and out bound Auckland
If you have the on bound flights booked I would think that would be fine - you can prove you mean to leave Australia at the end of your ETA.

As Polly has stated I am sure they are going to get tougher on this process. I came six years ago on one way Holiday ETAs for family and three month Business ETA for me with no forward flight but worked for a UK/US company which had a base in San Fran so I was going to state I did not know my leave date for San Fran so had not booked tickets - but standing at immigration having primed the kids to state we were only here on holiday was nerve wrecking because they also knew we had only waved goodbye to family and friends 24 hours ago to start our new life in Aus.

Once on shore we applied for 457s to tide us over until 136PR but it took a further 9 months and was a roller coaster of emotions. I never really relaxed until we had PR validated a year later and then a further three years to our Citizenship ceremony and knowing we can't be thrown out!!!! So my recommendation is for the truth and onward flights booked.
Sandra is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:56 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

I used to work for a travel agent in the Uk and although having onward tickets out of Oz to NZ may seem ok, it used to say that you have to have right of residence to country you are going if you dont have onward tickets from that country
kwprwn is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:04 am
  #6  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by kwprwn View Post
I used to work for a travel agent in the Uk and although having onward tickets out of Oz to NZ may seem ok, it used to say that you have to have right of residence to country you are going if you dont have onward tickets from that country
There is no specific requirement in Australian law to have a return ticket if arriving as a tourist. But you do need to be a "genuine visitor".
JAJ is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:13 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
kwprwn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 1,631
kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
There is no specific requirement in Australian law to have a return ticket if arriving as a tourist. But you do need to be a "genuine visitor".
it used to say it on the foreign office website but it now says the following (i looked out of curiosity for me

[B]Passport Validity

Australia does not have a minimum passport validity requirement for incoming passengers. But if you intend onward travel to other countries in the region, please note you are advised that entry into some countries may be refused, and airlines may not carry you, if your passport has less than six months validity. This also affects passengers transiting some countries en route to/from Australia (i.e. if they pass through immigration and enter the transit country), such as Singapore.
kwprwn is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:10 am
  #8  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Thanks for your replies every one

so I can say as long as we have our ETA in order for Australia and Newzealand and have the rights flights IE Inbound Australia and out bound Auckland with return flights to Australia when we enter Australia we will have our PR visa and be validating

does that sound right
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:33 am
  #9  
Feeble Minded
 
SillyOldBag's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Cairns, QLD
Posts: 1,612
SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Might there not be a query though concerning your baby being due September - arent there some restrictions on flying late in pregnancy? Might that have some impact?

Whatever happens - I hope it all works out for the best for you!
SillyOldBag is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:09 pm
  #10  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag View Post
Might there not be a query though concerning your baby being due September - arent there some restrictions on flying late in pregnancy? Might that have some impact?

Whatever happens - I hope it all works out for the best for you!

I was just thinking that my self I should be ok but ill check it out Ill still be in the second Trimester so as far as i know wont need a doctors cert to fly but ill double check that. I wont be taking any chances at all

generally most airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks as long as you have a doctor cert to say you are fit for flight
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:38 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 68
De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
Thanks for your replies every one

so I can say as long as we have our ETA in order for Australia and Newzealand and have the rights flights IE Inbound Australia and out bound Auckland with return flights to Australia when we enter Australia we will have our PR visa and be validating

does that sound right

Yeah, err, sounds about right.

Whichever country you enter on a tourist visa will need you to have an outbound flight. So UK - Oz - NZ - Oz should do it.
De Mange is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:44 pm
  #12  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by De Mange View Post
Yeah, err, sounds about right.

Whichever country you enter on a tourist visa will need you to have an outbound flight. So UK - Oz - NZ - Oz should do it.
Thanks

still checking it all out last thing we want is for to be sent home after spending money on flights
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:56 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks
Not wanting to sound like I am putting a downer on this plan as it is something we are planning to do when we go to Perth. But how do you know that you are going to get the visa in the time period in which you are there? What will you do if you don't get it? I get very worried thinking about not having any money and no job and then finding out I have to leave as I have no visa and no cash.
Swins is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:02 pm
  #14  
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)
Thread Starter
 
Baby75's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: sunshine coast, now back home in Ireland :)
Posts: 1,861
Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
Not wanting to sound like I am putting a downer on this plan as it is something we are planning to do when we go to Perth. But how do you know that you are going to get the visa in the time period in which you are there? What will you do if you don't get it? I get very worried thinking about not having any money and no job and then finding out I have to leave as I have no visa and no cash.
No don't worry a very valid point and believe me we have been thinking of that in that case it would be come home or get another ETA but they all have complications second eta have to prove you have enough money to support your self and that

more to think about although Ild say we are going to chance it
Baby75 is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:24 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Bailey1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 196
Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all
Default Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 View Post
hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks
Hi Baby75,

We are flying out in June and are doing the same as yourselves. However instead of using the tourist visa we are using the WHV(this is possible as we have no children) which allows you in on a one way ticket once you can prove that you have enough funds to buy outward tickets.

I have seen a post from someone who says he has entered Australia 3 times with an ETA(I think) on a one way ticket with no problems.
It really is up to yourselves and you have to decide if you want to chance it.
Maybe if you had a bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds for your holiday AND to buy onward flights. This could work...?
There has to be a way around it. There always is.
Bailey1 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.