British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   holiday visa and one way flights help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/holiday-visa-one-way-flights-help-please-531688/)

Baby75 Apr 23rd 2008 9:04 pm

holiday visa and one way flights help please

hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks :thumbsup:

Pollyana Apr 23rd 2008 9:19 pm

Re: holiday visa and one way flights help please

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6255841)
hello

we are going to Australia in 5 weeks on a 3 months holiday visa while we wait for our 175 PR visa to come through we are letting DIAC know our plans and know we ahve to leave Australia to validate our visa

But we were wondering what the best way to handle the flights a return flight is so expensive for a family of 5 so we were thinking of flying one way to Brisbane but have flights to fly out to Newzealand and return when we validate the PR visa

will this be ok don't want to cause trouble with immigration on our way in will this be ok does any one know Thanks :thumbsup:

If you come on a one way tickets they may well think you plan to stay , so they may refuse you entry. Its a risk you take.
An ETA is not supposed to be used to emigrate on and so they do have the right to send you back if they think you are actually emigrating.

Its something that seems to have become quite a common question recently, and I do find myself thinking that DIAC might start getting tougher about expecting people to prove they are only visiting.

Baby75 Apr 23rd 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6255926)
If you come on a one way tickets they may well think you plan to stay , so they may refuse you entry. Its a risk you take.
An ETA is not supposed to be used to emigrate on and so they do have the right to send you back if they think you are actually emigrating.

Its something that seems to have become quite a common question recently, and I do find myself thinking that DIAC might start getting tougher about expecting people to prove they are only visiting.

Thats what im worried about dont want to take any chances of being turned away and want to do it the right way as well :D

We were thinking of booking multi stop flights as I figure we would have to prove we are leaving Australia after our holiday visa runs out Im just wondering is that ok to have inbound Brisbane and out bound Auckland

Sandra Apr 24th 2008 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6255943)
Thats what im worried about dont want to take any chances of being turned away and want to do it the right way as well :D

We were thinking of booking multi stop flights as I figure we would have to prove we are leaving Australia after our holiday visa runs out Im just wondering is that ok to have inbound Brisbane and out bound Auckland

If you have the on bound flights booked I would think that would be fine - you can prove you mean to leave Australia at the end of your ETA.

As Polly has stated I am sure they are going to get tougher on this process. I came six years ago on one way Holiday ETAs for family and three month Business ETA for me with no forward flight but worked for a UK/US company which had a base in San Fran so I was going to state I did not know my leave date for San Fran so had not booked tickets - but standing at immigration having primed the kids to state we were only here on holiday was nerve wrecking because they also knew we had only waved goodbye to family and friends 24 hours ago to start our new life in Aus.

Once on shore we applied for 457s to tide us over until 136PR but it took a further 9 months and was a roller coaster of emotions. I never really relaxed until we had PR validated a year later and then a further three years to our Citizenship ceremony and knowing we can't be thrown out!!!! So my recommendation is for the truth and onward flights booked.

kwprwn Apr 24th 2008 1:56 am

I used to work for a travel agent in the Uk and although having onward tickets out of Oz to NZ may seem ok, it used to say that you have to have right of residence to country you are going if you dont have onward tickets from that country

JAJ Apr 24th 2008 2:04 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 6256915)
I used to work for a travel agent in the Uk and although having onward tickets out of Oz to NZ may seem ok, it used to say that you have to have right of residence to country you are going if you dont have onward tickets from that country

There is no specific requirement in Australian law to have a return ticket if arriving as a tourist. But you do need to be a "genuine visitor".

kwprwn Apr 24th 2008 2:13 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6256939)
There is no specific requirement in Australian law to have a return ticket if arriving as a tourist. But you do need to be a "genuine visitor".

it used to say it on the foreign office website but it now says the following (i looked out of curiosity for me:)

[B]Passport Validity

Australia does not have a minimum passport validity requirement for incoming passengers. But if you intend onward travel to other countries in the region, please note you are advised that entry into some countries may be refused, and airlines may not carry you, if your passport has less than six months validity. This also affects passengers transiting some countries en route to/from Australia (i.e. if they pass through immigration and enter the transit country), such as Singapore.

Baby75 Apr 24th 2008 7:10 am

Thanks for your replies every one :D

so I can say as long as we have our ETA in order for Australia and Newzealand and have the rights flights IE Inbound Australia and out bound Auckland with return flights to Australia when we enter Australia we will have our PR visa and be validating

does that sound right :D

SillyOldBag Apr 24th 2008 8:33 am

Might there not be a query though concerning your baby being due September - arent there some restrictions on flying late in pregnancy? Might that have some impact?

Whatever happens - I hope it all works out for the best for you! :thumbsup:

Baby75 Apr 24th 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag (Post 6257851)
Might there not be a query though concerning your baby being due September - arent there some restrictions on flying late in pregnancy? Might that have some impact?

Whatever happens - I hope it all works out for the best for you! :thumbsup:

I was just thinking that my self I should be ok but ill check it out Ill still be in the second Trimester so as far as i know wont need a doctors cert to fly but ill double check that. I wont be taking any chances at all :D

generally most airlines let you fly up to 36 weeks as long as you have a doctor cert to say you are fit for flight :D

De Mange Apr 24th 2008 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 6257623)
Thanks for your replies every one :D

so I can say as long as we have our ETA in order for Australia and Newzealand and have the rights flights IE Inbound Australia and out bound Auckland with return flights to Australia when we enter Australia we will have our PR visa and be validating

does that sound right :D

Yeah, err, sounds about right.

Whichever country you enter on a tourist visa will need you to have an outbound flight. So UK - Oz - NZ - Oz should do it.

Baby75 Apr 24th 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by De Mange (Post 6258888)
Yeah, err, sounds about right.

Whichever country you enter on a tourist visa will need you to have an outbound flight. So UK - Oz - NZ - Oz should do it.

still checking it all out last thing we want is for to be sent home after spending money on flights :(

Swins Apr 24th 2008 3:56 pm

hello

Not wanting to sound like I am putting a downer on this plan as it is something we are planning to do when we go to Perth. But how do you know that you are going to get the visa in the time period in which you are there? What will you do if you don't get it? I get very worried thinking about not having any money and no job and then finding out I have to leave as I have no visa and no cash.

Baby75 Apr 24th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Swins (Post 6260072)
Not wanting to sound like I am putting a downer on this plan as it is something we are planning to do when we go to Perth. But how do you know that you are going to get the visa in the time period in which you are there? What will you do if you don't get it? I get very worried thinking about not having any money and no job and then finding out I have to leave as I have no visa and no cash.

No don't worry a very valid point and believe me we have been thinking of that in that case it would be come home or get another ETA but they all have complications second eta have to prove you have enough money to support your self and that

more to think about although Ild say we are going to chance it

Bailey1 Apr 24th 2008 6:24 pm

hello

Hi Baby75,

We are flying out in June and are doing the same as yourselves. However instead of using the tourist visa we are using the WHV(this is possible as we have no children:)) which allows you in on a one way ticket once you can prove that you have enough funds to buy outward tickets.

I have seen a post from someone who says he has entered Australia 3 times with an ETA(I think) on a one way ticket with no problems.
It really is up to yourselves and you have to decide if you want to chance it.
Maybe if you had a bank statement showing that you have sufficient funds for your holiday AND to buy onward flights. This could work...?
There has to be a way around it. There always is.