British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   GSM - 175/176 Visa Applications; January - June 2012 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/gsm-175-176-visa-applications%3B-january-june-2012-a-745206/)

Desertwombat Aug 17th 2012 10:01 pm

Re: GSM - 175/176 Visa Applications; January - June 2012

Hi everyone,

We received an email allocating us with a case officer the other morning. Over the moon that things are going somewhere now and the wait for a case office was quite short. Just need to get medicals and police checks now.

Below is our time line in case it is of help to others.

IELTS (8’s and above) passed 20/10/2011

Qualification assessment (accountant) issued 28/05/2012

175 application submitted 10/06/2012

Allocated a case officer and medicals and police checks requested 16/08/2012

Aus_NSS Aug 18th 2012 7:29 pm

Re: 175 Visa Applications; January - June 2012

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10232295)
Read my reply again. Your CO decides if your case requires external checks, and I would NEVER say they take 12 months - they take as long as it takes. I remember one person on here applying for a spouse visa. His took 2 and a half years. Also, the timeline is not down to ASIO, it is down to the security organisation in the home country - they are the one doing the checks.

What I did say was that PCC and Medicals have a life of 12 months, after that you can be asked to do them again. Totally different subject.

hm...if it is upto security organization of my country then would i be able to avoid it if i had submitted my PCC in advance...........? :huh:

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 18th 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_NSS (Post 10234645)
hm...if it is upto security organization of my country then would i be able to avoid it if i had submitted my PCC in advance...........? :huh:

No. It's a case of DIAC asks your country for information that they need & your country is slow in providing the information. You can't get around it. You'll just have to wait.

Aus_NSS Aug 18th 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10234681)
No. It's a case of DIAC asks your country for information that they need & your country is slow in providing the information. You can't get around it. You'll just have to wait.

Thx mrsgreenstar it looks like its a combination of my bad luck & bureaucratic system of the world....... A perfect RSP of disaster :angry_smile:

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 18th 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_NSS (Post 10234734)
Thx mrsgreenstar it looks like its a combination of my bad luck & bureaucratic system of the world....... A perfect RSP of disaster :angry_smile:

No problem. :thumbup: You should count your blessings though. I've been waiting three years & seven months - and my processing isn't likely to happen for quite a while! There are people that have waited even longer than me.

Pollyana Aug 19th 2012 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Aus_NSS (Post 10234645)

No. Security checks are more wide-ranging and involve different matters to those in police checks - the latetr only contain straight-forward convictions.caution information.

pricecelt Aug 20th 2012 12:11 am

we got email allocating a case officer the other day, checked on my progress checklist all my stuff says met as does my wiofes but nothing is checked as met on my three kids is that normal at this stage ?

Pollyana Aug 20th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by pricecelt (Post 10236211)
we got email allocating a case officer the other day, checked on my progress checklist all my stuff says met as does my wiofes but nothing is checked as met on my three kids is that normal at this stage ?

Online status reports are notoriously unreliable. Many people get their visas granted while their status still says "required"or "requested". Nothing to worry about.

dominik Aug 20th 2012 2:41 am

His there!

Just want to share my story:
Did my ACS application as Software Engineer in the beginning of January. I've got 10 years experience in software and did a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer cert 2010. MCPD gives you access to the 'vendor certificate' route with ACS.
I got the ACS email mid February (that was already faster than expected).
IELTS was done already last year July or August.
On March 20th I applied for a GSM 175 with SOL as Software Engineer online. Originally I applied with my fiance as second applicant. We're both from Switzerland and I turned 31 in June.

May 28th we were asked to provide further documentation including police and health checks. So it took only 2 months to get a case officer!

We did both police and health and the only thing missing was the proof of English language ailities for my fiance (we planned that she would do that on August 4th and that was accepted by the case officer.

So far so good, we wanted to get married in September, but then she decided that it would not be okay anymore to get married... AU was not the reason, although the speed of progress in the visa application might have helped... Even though it's though and I am sad, life had to go on.

About a week ago I informed the case officer of the change in circumstances. I was asked to get the withdrawal of the secondary applicant in writing signed by her.
Took me a week, uploaded the scan yesterday..
And guess what, this morning I got the approval! Yeah!

So, bad and good luck are sometimes close companions...

Have to activate the visa until 20th of June 2013.

Just started a new job here... Gonna go an interesting time!

Btw, I did everything (ACS and immigration) myself.

Cheers
Dominik

old.sparkles Aug 20th 2012 3:06 am

Originally Posted by dominik (Post 10236413)
His there!

Just want to share my story:
Did my ACS application as Software Engineer in the beginning of January. I've got 10 years experience in software and did a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer cert 2010. MCPD gives you access to the 'vendor certificate' route with ACS.
I got the ACS email mid February (that was already faster than expected).
IELTS was done already last year July or August.
On March 20th I applied for a GSM 175 with SOL as Software Engineer online. Originally I applied with my fiance as second applicant. We're both from Switzerland and I turned 31 in June.

May 28th we were asked to provide further documentation including police and health checks. So it took only 2 months to get a case officer!

We did both police and health and the only thing missing was the proof of English language ailities for my fiance (we planned that she would do that on August 4th and that was accepted by the case officer.

So far so good, we wanted to get married in September, but then she decided that it would not be okay anymore to get married... AU was not the reason, although the speed of progress in the visa application might have helped... Even though it's though and I am sad, life had to go on.

About a week ago I informed the case officer of the change in circumstances. I was asked to get the withdrawal of the secondary applicant in writing signed by her.
Took me a week, uploaded the scan yesterday..
And guess what, this morning I got the approval! Yeah!

So, bad and good luck are sometimes close companions...

Have to activate the visa until 20th of June 2013.

Just started a new job here... Gonna go an interesting time!

Btw, I did everything (ACS and immigration) myself.

Cheers
Dominik

So congrats on the visa, and sorry about your partner. good luck for the future tho :)

Aus_NSS Aug 20th 2012 5:25 am

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10234778)
No problem. :thumbup: You should count your blessings though. I've been waiting three years & seven months - and my processing isn't likely to happen for quite a while! There are people that have waited even longer than me.

3 yrs 7 month already this is so not right........which country u r from......do u even know where & y this hold up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 21st 2012 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Aus_NSS (Post 10236747)
3 yrs 7 month already this is so not right........which country u r from......do u even know where & y this hold up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My country is irrelevant - it's because we're priority five. It's no big deal. Our turn will come when it comes. :)

mnicona Aug 21st 2012 5:24 pm

Just adding a time line update for my 175 visa application (family of 4)...

MAY 15 - Submitted an online application (all standard forms as well as ACS and IELTS results)
AUG 04 - Case Officer assigned and requested medicals and police clearances
AUG 09 - Applied for UK police clearance certificates (myself and my wife)
AUG 13 - Completed all required medicals (myself, wife and two children)
AUG 13 - Applied for CANADIAN police clearance certificates (myself and my wife)
AUG 20 - Medicals received by DIAC
AUG 21 - UK and CANADIAN police clearance certificates received and uploaded to DIAC

Now I wait... :)

Aus_NSS Aug 21st 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 10238567)
My country is irrelevant - it's because we're priority five. It's no big deal. Our turn will come when it comes. :)

pollyana mention that the timeline is down to the security organization in the home country... so thats y i asked which country u r form........plz do let me know as much as information u have regarding this check and where can i knock to speed things up....at this point it looks like if i apply again & take my chances of not going into a security check with a another CO is a better option( am i allow to launch a duplicate application?) take care

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 21st 2012 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_NSS (Post 10239693)
pollyana mention that the timeline is down to the security organization in the home country... so thats y i asked which country u r form........plz do let me know as much as information u have regarding this check and where can i knock to speed things up....at this point it looks like if i apply again & take my chances of not going into a security check with a another CO is a better option( am i allow to launch a duplicate application?) take care

My point is that my country is irrelevant to the delay. We're nowhere near security check stages. Also, don't push people to give you information. Not everyone is happy to disclose the minutiae of their applications.

You are just going to have to be patient. You won't avoid a security check by applying again & you can't speed it up. It will take as long as it takes. If you are from a high risk country, you should expect a thorough check. Applying again to avoid a security check would look ridiculously dodgy. If I were your CO & saw that, I would be wondering what you were trying to hide.