Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

how many years work experience do you need to apply for pre press now?

I'm doing print ready design work so in same boat. Hope things are going good in adelaide gravyman.

A qualification in Graphic design would be ok for the TRA wouldnt it?

Thanks guys
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
how many years work experience do you need to apply for pre press now?

I'm doing print ready design work so in same boat. Hope things are going good in adelaide gravyman.

A qualification in Graphic design would be ok for the TRA wouldnt it?

Thanks guys

Hi Jen

Things are good here.

With regards the Graphic Design I would be weary of listing it as they might class you as a Graphic Designer and not Pre Press.
My last few jobs in the UK were more Design than Pre Press but put the emphasis on the pre press side rather than design side.
We did produce print ready pdf's for our printers so I detailed more about this side rather than the designing of pages.

Hope that make sense.

If you need any further info then feel free to send me a PM.

Graham
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

The only problem is that the trade only route has gone? You now need a qualification (AQF equivelent) - which I'm not entirely clear on the level?

My quals are btec nd graphic design & illustration, hnd graphic design, a level art and a few C&G/OCNs

but i don't think I've ever seen a mac operator/plate maker etc qualification advertised anywhere lol. We did cover pre-press artwork at college, and my first job was as a repro artist. I'm now doing design & artwork services - so a lot of layouts etc, but I work with a printer getting the artwork ready for his specs etc. Also do a lot of repro artwork for people on logos - providing print ready vector graphics etc - so feel that I can really push that side, but just not sure on the quals! or how many years I will have to self employed for before I can apply.

Take care, hope its nice and warm (still dark here - and bleedin cold)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem is that the trade only route has gone? You now need a qualification (AQF equivelent) - which I'm not entirely clear on the level?

My quals are btec nd graphic design & illustration, hnd graphic design, a level art and a few C&G/OCNs

but i don't think I've ever seen a mac operator/plate maker etc qualification advertised anywhere lol. We did cover pre-press artwork at college, and my first job was as a repro artist. I'm now doing design & artwork services - so a lot of layouts etc, but I work with a printer getting the artwork ready for his specs etc. Also do a lot of repro artwork for people on logos - providing print ready vector graphics etc - so feel that I can really push that side, but just not sure on the quals! or how many years I will have to self employed for before I can apply.

Take care, hope its nice and warm (still dark here - and bleedin cold)
Hiya
Yes very warm here at the moment, 6.30pm and 32 degrees.

I don't know what the situation with the TRA is know but when I did mine I used work experience as I didn't have any qualifications.

Have they chenged the rules on work experience now then?

I had 6 -7 years experience when I applied.

Wrap up warm.

Graham
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Yea - I think you can have 20 years experience and without any quals you don't stand a chance.

Don't know how long it will last for - the changes were made on sept 1st - a lot of people have had to give up cos of it. My brother is considering applying as a flat glass tradesman, but has no quals just 5 years experience - so its a case of sitting back and hoping they change it back, or going out and doing an AQF qual or equivelent.

I help out at the college, so I could always ask my former tutor to write a letter that I can keep until I'm ready - listing the "end of design" parts of teh course - i.e converting the scribble onto the mac, editing ready to print etc. Plus I did a live brief for my final major - the ad campaign for the end of year show, which had to go to a litho printer, so I had to do all the final artwork stuff. Don't know if they take into account tutors letters though lol . . .
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Yea - I think you can have 20 years experience and without any quals you don't stand a chance.

Don't know how long it will last for - the changes were made on sept 1st - a lot of people have had to give up cos of it. My brother is considering applying as a flat glass tradesman, but has no quals just 5 years experience - so its a case of sitting back and hoping they change it back, or going out and doing an AQF qual or equivelent.

I help out at the college, so I could always ask my former tutor to write a letter that I can keep until I'm ready - listing the "end of design" parts of teh course - i.e converting the scribble onto the mac, editing ready to print etc. Plus I did a live brief for my final major - the ad campaign for the end of year show, which had to go to a litho printer, so I had to do all the final artwork stuff. Don't know if they take into account tutors letters though lol . . .
Oh didn't realise they had changed the rules as much as that.

Do you have an agent if so get them to clarify or ask the question in the Immigration forum.
There may be a way round it.

Are you able to go the Graphic Design route or do you need the extra points?

Graham
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

To be honest I'm not ready to go yet anyhow. Got some debts to clear and want to have another baby.

I could go down the graphic design route - but think I need 5 years exp and possibly a degree? I'm not prepared to pay £3000 a year for 2 years to upgrade my qual. The only way I'd go down that route would be to see about doing the degree in aus, goiing back to the uk to apply and hopefully then have success. . . but i'm hoping the pre-press route will be better, esp as its more points.

They will hopefully change it back to being work exp only in the next year or two just want to get over there maybe in a couple of years rather than 5 or 6!!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys
Just to let you know I am a Repro Artworker with 10 years experience and no quals. I have been talking with go maltilda agent and they have said that I should be able to get through the TRA under an informal apprentiship which is pathway D i think. It will cost 210 + vat to get a review from go maltilda to see if you will pass the TRA. Thats the route I am going anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats good then. Thought Trade only was a no-go.

Don't think it would cover myself but never mind

Good luck - wish you all the best . . . its light now but grey

I read the online lonely planet guide to england the other day, the weather summary was so unattractive - mild and damp with drizzle all year round lol. so true!!!

How has the weather in Adelaide been? I'm a bit torn between adelaide and gold coast, just concerned adelaide will be too dry and qld too wet lol.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by tumblingdice
After almost a year of will we, won't we the wife and I have finally decided a move to Oz is in order to give a better life to our kids.

I currently work as the senior designer in a busy design studio but don't have any formal qualifications, other than a BTEC in General Art & Design, and have learned what I know on the job over the last twelve years. This means I can't apply as a designer through VETASSESS (crazy!) and so am going to try as a pre-press operator through the TRA. I have done this type of work at various points in the past and am sure I can get my current employer to support me, does anyone know if this is feasable, and would any practical tests be involved?

Just to throw another spanner in the works both of my previous employers have died (not that I'm a Jonah or anything) so would I be OK getting evidence of employment/duties off previous work colleagues?

Any help appreciated, Matt.
Hay Matt.

I'm in almost the same position as you, working on my TRA app for Graphic/Pre-press.

I did a BTEC as well as a YTS/City and guilds and have worked at printers and the like for years doing artwork, design, pre-press.

As for your erm...... ex employers, you can wright a statutory declaration to cover that although any other evidence you can come up with to back that
up will help. Old pay slips, contracts, tax stuff or statements from former colleagues will help.

As Graham says, it is best to push is the Pre-press rather than the design side of things as the difference between Graphic Designer, Artworker and
Pre-press can be a little blurry these days.

I've decided it best to get my TRA checked over by an agent before I submit it to be on the safe side.

As we're in the same boat I'd be glad to share anything I know with you.

Good luck with it all.

Scotty
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Does the TRA have an expiry? Or anything?

Like a timescale from getting it and applying for the visa? or having the visa accepted???
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh - and how long do they take to process? (around)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:44 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbbugs
Hi Guys
Just to let you know I am a Repro Artworker with 10 years experience and no quals. I have been talking with go maltilda agent and they have said that I should be able to get through the TRA under an informal apprentiship which is pathway D i think. It will cost 210 + vat to get a review from go maltilda to see if you will pass the TRA. Thats the route I am going anyway.
This weblink might help explain the pathway:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=432

Best regards.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

tumblingdice is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scottyboy
Hay Matt.

I'm in almost the same position as you, working on my TRA app for Graphic/Pre-press.

I did a BTEC as well as a YTS/City and guilds and have worked at printers and the like for years doing artwork, design, pre-press.

As for your erm...... ex employers, you can wright a statutory declaration to cover that although any other evidence you can come up with to back that
up will help. Old pay slips, contracts, tax stuff or statements from former colleagues will help.

As Graham says, it is best to push is the Pre-press rather than the design side of things as the difference between Graphic Designer, Artworker and
Pre-press can be a little blurry these days.

I've decided it best to get my TRA checked over by an agent before I submit it to be on the safe side.

As we're in the same boat I'd be glad to share anything I know with you.

Good luck with it all.

Scotty
Thanks Scotty, I've managed to dig out some of the old paperwork and am going to try and get some statements sorted next week, I'm sure I'll be in touch at some point. Incidentally you've given me a bit of food for thought about using an agent, I was going to do it all myself but am considering using one just for the TRA part, I didn't realise they'd just do bits of the application, and its the TRA part that I'm more worried about than the main application.

Matt
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Matt

I used an agent for our TRA but we did our visa application ourself.

Ours was the SIR visa which was even better because we could do it all online.

We felt that the TRA was more important and more chance of something going wrong with it so it was piece of mind in the end.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.