Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Graphic Pre-Press Trade?

thanks everyone! All help is really appreciated. I owe you both drinks if/when i get to Oz!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

StopDreamingStartDoing is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite interested in this thread, i'm a printer of twelve years working on a GOSS HT60 OFF SET Lithographic double width press, with 6 colour units for back to back colour, worked up to supervisor level, had no qualifications to begin with but have managed to get an NVQ 2 thing through work. So with 12 years experience and a little qualification i'm keeping fingers and toes crossed with my TRA. But does anybody know if my type of job is up for grabs as it were, it wouldn't stop us applying but it would be nice to know if there are jobs out there that i could do

Cheers Richard
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

I'm applying under graphics pre-press.
Didn't know there were so many of us 'till I read this thread.
GPP's have been prety thin on the ground around here.

I started off doing a YTS in art and design for a year and then
did a BTEC national in graphic design for another couple.

I've worked at printers, newspapers and at present for a
company that does greetings cards.
I've done it on and off for the past ten years or so.

I'm just dotting to i's and crossing the t's on my TRA before I
send it off to an agent that does a visa checking service.

As Gravyman says "emphasise the repro side and tried not to
mention Graphic Design too much"

Good luck to everybody.

Scotty.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tricky266 will become famous soon enoughTricky266 will become famous soon enough

I've worked as a graphic designer for nearly 20 years and have seen aspects of the job erode away from the industry, first was typesetting, then finished artwork, then repro, so whats the big deal with pre press?? - surely its a dying aspect of the print industry. I actually think that its a very valid part of print and its decline has a lot to do with the poor quality print work being produced - but there is an atittude of - hey it's cheaper so it must be better!!

The problem in the UK - hence my reasons for going elsewhere is the fact that I'm charged out at £70 ph (and get paid about £11) which is a crazy amount of money - if I spend just one hour doing simple text changes it costs the client £70. Madness!! - and we are in a rural backwater - not London!! High charges like this just lead to disgruntled clients - or no clients!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Yea it used to get me annoyed, I was a trainee getting paid about £6ph, but getting chaged out for £40-£80ph depending on who the client was.

Thinking about setting up freelance design & pre press services . . . anyone know if self-employment will count towards 6 yrs experience?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Coppock
Yea it used to get me annoyed, I was a trainee getting paid about £6ph, but getting chaged out for £40-£80ph depending on who the client was.

Thinking about setting up freelance design & pre press services . . . anyone know if self-employment will count towards 6 yrs experience?
I'm prety sure it would.
You just have to give more info such as letters from customers,
suppliers and accountant.
There are plenty of self employed that go through the TRA.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

chlor is on a distinguished road

My hubby is a pre-press service engineer, is there much demand for his skills in the perth area?
thanks
chlor
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __phil__
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is / has migrated to Oz with Graphic Pre-Press skills. After much thinking my wife and I have decided to start looking into making the move to Oz (probably Sydney) . I'm 28 and have been working in the same trade since I was 16. I don't have recognised qualifications but do have the relevant skills and experience for my trade. I score 120 on all of the points scoring test I have taken. Anyone out there in the same situation?...
Hey Phil
Wow, all these pre press people coming out of the woodwork on here!

I work in prepress for a small/medium size company (a 5 colour and a few 2 colour machines), but I'm in Brisbane. I did graphic design at uni, and am not trade qualified. I got a job and started work within 3 weeks of getting here. The impression I got was they're not bothered about official qualifications, as long as you know what you're doing, as it's hard to find decent mac operators in Brisbane. I'm also 28.

I haven't worked in the UK for a couple of years, so don't know what it's like over there now, but Indesign took off a lot quicker over here than in the UK, so expect to be using mainly CS2 programs. I hate quark anyway Ozzies pronounce Quark how it "kwark", and not "kwork". my workmates giggle everytime I say Quark, and I tell them to stop quacking at me when they say it Good luck anyway mate.
Jenny
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

It went the other way with me. I'b been using CS2 for a couple of years in the UK and my current company are still on OS9 and still using Quark 4.1.

It took a while to not only get used to Quark again but also OS9.

I kept trying to find the dock but ir wasn't there.

although on the up side we have Intel G5's with 30" screens waiting to be installed in the next months and I can't wait.

Most companies seem to ask for CS and Quark experience.

Graham
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gravyman
...although on the up side we have Intel G5's with 30" screens waiting to be installed in the next months and I can't wait.

Most companies seem to ask for CS and Quark experience.

Graham
ooooh that sounds posh. I thought my 20" cinema screen was the dogs bollox when they gave me that
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is / has migrated to Oz with Graphic Pre-Press skills. After much thinking my wife and I have decided to start looking into making the move to Oz (probably Sydney) . I'm 28 and have been working in the same trade since I was 16. I don't have recognised qualifications but do have the relevant skills and experience for my trade. I score 120 on all of the points scoring test I have taken. Anyone out there in the same situation?

I know you have to take a TRA test first, but is that all?

I'm probably going to use an agent but I don't really know what to expect in terms of cost. What should I be looking to pay?

If anyone can fill me in on where the hell I even start, I would be very grateful.

It just seems so hard to get out of this S*!T hole country.

Thanks

Hi Phil and all other graphic pre-pressers!

Myself and my husband moved to Sydney in September and my husband is in graphic pre press. He did his training "on the job" and didn't have any formal qualifications so we used an agent - would highly recommend George Lombard, he was so helpful and I honestly believe we wouldn't have managed it without him. My husband found when looking for work that all the job agencies insisted on InDesign which he didn't have too much experience in. He did a two day course here in Sydney and started work a week later (but as is murphys law, his job doesn't use InDesign!!). If you have InDesign and you're coming to Sydney there are jobs aplenty!! If you need info on job agencies, etc. just let me know.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Tina
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived last year on a Skilled Indi visa thanks to my graphic pre-press skills. If you have worked in pre-press then the TRA part is a breeze, once you have that your in. If you need any details on the TRA part just PM me.

I am in Brisbane, and there is plenty of work here. There is usually a at least a couple of posts per week on Seek which you can apply for. In fact, I am studio manager in one of the advertising agencies and I am looking for a mac operator at the moment. Advertised in the Courier Mail and on Seek, lots and lots of applications, of which most of them are time wasters!

If you need any tips / advice then PM me.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Its great to know there's a lot of work out there! I hated quark 4, although at the college we seem to have non-stop conflicts with indesign. I just tend to cheat and use illustrator for all my dtp lol. Unless it's a load of pages!

Decided that i goin freelance. Started doin my website again, just need to get work . . .

I never realised how many of us want to gone/have gone . . . this threads been a good gathering.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

__phil__ is an unknown quantity at this point

WoW!,

I haven't been on the forum for a while (been working long hours and checking out migration agents). I am amazed at the feedback

Is or has anyone used Go Matilda? I have spoken with them and they believe I have a good chance with an application.

Cheers

Phil
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

WoW!,

I haven't been on the forum for a while (been working long hours and checking out migration agents). I am amazed at the feedback

Is or has anyone used Go Matilda? I have spoken with them and they believe I have a good chance with an application.

Cheers

Phil
I haven't used them but from spending time on this forum I know they
are very highly thought of as agents go.

Scotty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.