Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for permanent resident with dependent parent

Applying for permanent resident with dependent parent

Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

ab a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for permanent resident with dependent parent

I wondered if other members particularly seniors could help me with a query regarding including parents when applying for OZ visa.
I want to know if it is possible to include my mom when lodging me EOI? She doesn't live with us and has recently got divorced. Since her divorce I've sent my partner to look after her (she is not unwell but we still think she needs someone to provide support to her especially since she is divorced now). She doesn't live with me and is 55 years old.

I want to include her in my visa. Would this be possible? I am supporting her financially and have done since she divorced my step dad. The only other sibling I have is a teenage brother.

Medicals: I've heard that my visa could potentially get rejected if she doesnt pass medical test, is that true?
She's always been well but refuses to go to doctor unless she has to. I suspect she has diabetes. Would this affect my application?
I dont want to ask her to go for a check up before I lodge my application, she doesn't know I am applying for OZ visa yet.

What about police or security check? If she fails one of these could my application be rejected as well? I am been extra cautions!

Can I drop her later if she doesnt pass any of the tests?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks a lot
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:25 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for permanent resident with dependent parent

Most people coming from the UK would not be able to include a parent as a dependant because they wouldn't be. Not sure if you will be able to. If you think you can drop your mother if she fails medicals / PCC then you don't think she's dependant on you either.

That said, if any person on an application does not meet the criteria, the application will fail I think.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

I know it sounds harsh but Im not really sure how its going to work if they refuse her on whatever ground. she could visit on tourist visa every year, not sure

So every person in the application has to pass medicals? What do they look for in a medical test? on DIAC i think it mentions AIDS and TB, anything else that could be a red flag on a test result?

Is pcc different to security check? I've seen a post seen a post that talks about pcc and a security check, I thought they were the same!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:40 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ab a
I know it sounds harsh but Im not really sure how its going to work if they refuse her on whatever ground. she could visit on tourist visa every year, not sure

So every person in the application has to pass medicals? What do they look for in a medical test? on DIAC i think it mentions AIDS and TB, anything else that could be a red flag on a test result?

Is pcc different to security check? I've seen a post seen a post that talks about pcc and a security check, I thought they were the same!
PCC's are your police checks. Security checks are conducted separately by DIBP I think.

Medicals look at your history, your current health and do some tests to try and establish if you have any conditions that will prove expensive to Australia if granted a visa.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered if other members particularly seniors could help me with a query regarding including parents when applying for OZ visa.
I want to know if it is possible to include my mom when lodging me EOI? She doesn't live with us and has recently got divorced. Since her divorce I've sent my partner to look after her (she is not unwell but we still think she needs someone to provide support to her especially since she is divorced now). She doesn't live with me and is 55 years old.

I want to include her in my visa. Would this be possible? I am supporting her financially and have done since she divorced my step dad. The only other sibling I have is a teenage brother.

Medicals: I've heard that my visa could potentially get rejected if she doesnt pass medical test, is that true?
She's always been well but refuses to go to doctor unless she has to. I suspect she has diabetes. Would this affect my application?
I dont want to ask her to go for a check up before I lodge my application, she doesn't know I am applying for OZ visa yet.

What about police or security check? If she fails one of these could my application be rejected as well? I am been extra cautions!

Can I drop her later if she doesnt pass any of the tests?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks a lot
She is not dependent on you. She does not live with you and, if in the UK, will be eligible for a, pension so is not financially dependent on you either.

At age 55 she is hardly in need of old age care
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Could you fail medicals because of diabetes, blood pressure etc? or does it have to be a more serious illness like cancer?

Has anyone been through security check? Does everyone have to do it?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Could you fail medicals because of diabetes, blood pressure etc? or does it have to be a more serious illness like cancer?

Are you from the UK?

If so then your mother is not dependent on you and can not be included in your application.

These other questions are therefore irrelevant
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:52 pm

Everyone has to do security checks.

Info on medicals here - http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/pane...structions.pdf
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you from the UK?

If so then your mother is not dependent on you and can not be included in your application.

These other questions are therefore irrelevant
Except every member of application needs to pass medicals and police checks, etc.

I agree though - divorce is not an illness, it does not incapacitate you. Living in the UK, having her own home and access to financial support through welfare payments means that your mother will not be considered a dependant.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

She is not dependent on you. She does not live with you and, if in the UK, will be eligible for a, pension so is not financially dependent on you either.

At age 55 she is hardly in need of old age care
Both financial and emotional, she has no other income source at the moment anyway, if it is a case of only losing the extra money for an additional applicant then I would include her. I think she is dependent on me, more so emotionally because of her marriage breakdown. She is coming to live with us in a couple of weeks or so but she wouldnt have lived in the same house as me for 1 year, although I can provide other documents for financial dependency, like rent, regular money transfer, bills etc.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Except every member of application needs to pass medicals and police checks, etc.
Sure....but if someone in their twenties is worrying about passing their medical they have bigger things to worry about than getting a visa.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Both financial and emotional, she has no other income source at the moment anyway, if it is a case of only losing the extra money for an additional applicant then I would include her. I think she is dependent on me, more so emotionally because of her marriage breakdown. She is coming to live with us in a couple of weeks or so but she wouldnt have lived in the same house as me for 1 year, although I can provide other documents for financial dependency, like rent, regular money transfer, bills etc.
It doesn't matter that you think she is emotionally dependant. DIBP have their own criteria for what they accept as dependency.

You have not answered...Do you live in UK?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 10:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Whichever way you dress it up she is not dependent on you.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tbh I dont know much about social security, I decided to support her instead, because we didnt want government handouts really. Presumably she is entitled to some sort of support from the government like all unemployed. Do you think it is not worth including her?
Old Jan 6th 2015, 11:02 pm

Sure....but if someone in their twenties is worrying about passing their medical they have bigger things to worry about than getting a visa.
True - but OP's wife is from high risk country so there may be concerns there too.

We had concerns about young spark passing medicals due to Aspergers - we had to provide additional reports - so they can be worries for younger applicants too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.