Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any nurses sitting or sat IELTS for skills assessment?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
General, got 9, 9, 9, 8.5 with an overall of 9! It wasn't THAT easy, but was much more manageable than the Academic practice tests I'd done from the Peter May book so....

they are fab results..... just cant seem to get my head round the reading....mind it doesn't help with the topics.... not read one interesting one yet...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:28 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
they are fab results..... just cant seem to get my head round the reading....mind it doesn't help with the topics.... not read one interesting one yet...
I know, I remember sitting nearly in tears reading those reading tests...you'll be grand, I promise! xo
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:09 pm
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

The Peter May book is fantastic for tha academic IELTS. Don't freak out though once your half way through the book the tests seem to get alot easier, it's as though something clicks once you get into the IELTS was of thinking. I nearly had a nervous breakdown when the book arrived, and was convinced I'd fail everything - but I got great results.
Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lyx
The Peter May book is fantastic for tha academic IELTS. Don't freak out though once your half way through the book the tests seem to get alot easier, it's as though something clicks once you get into the IELTS was of thinking. I nearly had a nervous breakdown when the book arrived, and was convinced I'd fail everything - but I got great results.
Good luck.
LOL..... thanks... will let you know in 4 weeks how it goes... not hopefull though....
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone

I'm panicking! I have my IELTS test on Saturday 12 September. I started revising about a week ago and feel fairly confident about the reading and listening modules. However, the academic writing is really worrying me.

I was a PA for 20 years, so yes I can write lovely letters. However, I'm used to typing and this test has to be handwritten. And I'm not used to writing essays. I think my main concern is that whilst I have several books, including Peter May's, there isn't many examples of exactly how the essay should have been written to achieve a band 7.

I'm convinced I will fail this part of the exam.

Help me please! Someone! Anyone!

Nervous breakdown over - thanks for reading!

Karen xx
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

The topics for the writing are usually debate type topics using your views and/or life experiences.If you have the ability to have a good chinwag and gosip session then you will have no trouble with this one.Try to put into writing how you would discuss a topic verbally and add a bit of waffle into the mix.Just remember not to start with the same word each sentence because they don't like repetition.........also no spell check so watch out for that too!If you feel like you cannot elaborate to make enough words the use things like sixty six as opposed to 66 etc.......

I did both general and academic and apart from graphs in the academic it was pretty straightforward.Us english speaking ppl rather trip up in the reading section as we tend to over-annalize the questions.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:35 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Read the examples at the back of the peter may book. they give you a good starting point. Don't flap you'll be fine.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shirlw
That's what we are all here for so ask away

You can also use the search option for a quick check on something specific which is really helpful.Good luck with IELTS,I did the General in Feb then had to do the Academic in June when all things were about to change at ANMCYou should do just fine but the practice papers really help with your timing and give a general overview of what to expect.
hi just read your post, i sat the general training IELTS test in december last year and sent it to the ANMC and they were more than happy to pass me as my over all mark was 7.5.

however today i have had an email from my case officer to say that all of my documents are correct apart from my IELTS i am unsure why is it cause its not the academic test and therefore i have to sit and pay another £100 for this other test, the case officer said that i needed the score of 7 in each box but i got 9 for lisening, 9 for speaking 7 for wrighting and 6 for reading so my over all score was 7.5 so it also seems like its cause i only go 6 in reading !!! it dosnt mention that it is because its the wrong paper the general not the academic !!!!

any ideas !!! do you know what the difference is between the two ?
and you mentioned something about practice papers what are these and where can i get them from?

many Thanks
sarah
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:55 am
Banned

plzhelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
dont worry they have it most months at sheffield hallam..... although i would book and take it well in advance if you can so you know you have it....

im getting a bit nervous now... does anyone know how many you have to get out of 40 to get the band 7...
The formula is a/9 = your answers (b)/40
Take your right answers (b) x 9 / 40 = Result (a)

Therefore to score 7, you have to get min 31 right answers to score 6.98 which will be 7.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahhartopp
hi just read your post, i sat the general training IELTS test in december last year and sent it to the ANMC and they were more than happy to pass me as my over all mark was 7.5.

however today i have had an email from my case officer to say that all of my documents are correct apart from my IELTS i am unsure why is it cause its not the academic test and therefore i have to sit and pay another £100 for this other test, the case officer said that i needed the score of 7 in each box but i got 9 for lisening, 9 for speaking 7 for wrighting and 6 for reading so my over all score was 7.5 so it also seems like its cause i only go 6 in reading !!! it dosnt mention that it is because its the wrong paper the general not the academic !!!!

any ideas !!! do you know what the difference is between the two ?
and you mentioned something about practice papers what are these and where can i get them from?

many Thanks
sarah
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Academic is a harder test than the General. The Academic is called as such because it covers 'academic' topics, whereas the General covers quite 'general' topics. I have posted a link, further back in this thread to a Peter May study guide which I used which was fantastic. As far as I'm aware all nurses now have to do the Academic, but you should check with your CO if that's what he/she requires. I suspect you got the email from your CO as you must have at least 7 in every band, not an overall 7, so yes, your 6 in reading wouldn't have met that requirement.

Good luck...keep us all posted!

Jen
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

sarahhartopp will become famous soon enoughsarahhartopp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Academic is a harder test than the General. The Academic is called as such because it covers 'academic' topics, whereas the General covers quite 'general' topics. I have posted a link, further back in this thread to a Peter May study guide which I used which was fantastic. As far as I'm aware all nurses now have to do the Academic, but you should check with your CO if that's what he/she requires. I suspect you got the email from your CO as you must have at least 7 in every band, not an overall 7, so yes, your 6 in reading wouldn't have met that requirement.

Good luck...keep us all posted!

Jen
Cool thanks mate,

Have been on the link and have ordered the book so should get it within a couple of days, have 1 month to jen up on it all. Thanks for the heads up on the book will let you know how i get on, cant believe im nervous about taking a English test, am 33 and have managed to finish school, college and uni and hold dawn many many jobs that require me to speak read and write English yet when it comes to a test im scared, i suppose its because i want my visa so badly !!!!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Cool thanks mate,

Have been on the link and have ordered the book so should get it within a couple of days, have 1 month to jen up on it all. Thanks for the heads up on the book will let you know how i get on, cant believe im nervous about taking a English test, am 33 and have managed to finish school, college and uni and hold dawn many many jobs that require me to speak read and write English yet when it comes to a test im scared, i suppose its because i want my visa so badly !!!!
I was scared too, and I teach English everyday and have done for the last ten years!!! lol
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Cool thanks mate,

Don't worry something similar happened to me as I sat my General in Feb and got 7.5 overall aswell (6.5 on reading).......then it was acceptable to have 6.5
in 2 components and 7.0 in the other 2 as long as the over all was 7.0.Then on 1st July all things changed at ANMC and I then did the Academic(June).......very oddly enough,I did way better in this with an overall of 8.0 with the required 7.0 for reading.I did however do a lot of online practice tests which helped.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

got mine on Saturday ... thought this site might be useful for others http://www.canadavisa.com/ielts/free...ice-tests.html
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

Just a quick question.....

My wife has hers this saturday. On the speaking test, how much "waffling" are you meant to do? For example one of the practice questions we did was " who do you admire in your family"? My wife said her mum and then went on about her:where and when born, what jobs she did, when she got married etc and why she admires her.

Is this "right"?

JOHN

BTW I checked yesterday. There is NO 3 month waiting period if you fail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.