parents

Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:48 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: parents

I can sympathise with your situation, but surely NZIS will insist on their own medical assessment of your father's state of health to see if he is fit to fly home?

I know of someone who managed to get their lone parent permission to stay based on her being their only means of childcare support but even that took 4 years to sort out in the meantime the parent had to reside in UK and just visit here.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Walshy.
I do feel for you about your Dad. My Dad was too frail to come out and visit us, although I hadn't realised that when we first left and so we used every spare cent we had to fund making quality annual visits back of a month or more.
My husband has just returned from one of these to see his Mom who is into her 80's & who is fit but will not travel. . It is very tough indeed to leave our old folks behind with such a huge distance between us.

Have you look at the multiple entry visa at all? I don't know if I would have diced with my Dads final years in the way you are suggesting but each to their own.

Originally Posted by NZIS operations manual
V3.110 Parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy
  1. The objective of the parent and grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy is to facilitate opportunities for parents or grandparents (and their :void(10169)" target="_blank">partners) to visit their New Zealand citizen or resident children or grandchildren, through the issue of multiple entry visitor's visas.
  2. To be issued a visa under this policy applicants must:
    1. lodge an application for a visitor's visa, as set out in E4, from outside New Zealand; and
    2. meet the requirements under Generic Temporary Entry Policy; and
    3. provide a full medical certificate as if their intention were to remain in New Zealand for more than 12 months (see E6.1.10).
  3. Children of the :void(10633)" target="_blank">principal applicant and/or their partner may not be granted a visa or permit under this policy to accompany their parent but must obtain a visitor's visa in their own right.
  4. Applicant(s) must be sponsored by the principal applicant's child or grandchild aged 17 years or older who:
    1. is a New Zealand citizen; or
    2. holds a New Zealand residence permit that is not subject to requirements imposed under section 18A of the Immigration Act 1987; or
    3. is exempt under section 12(1) of the Immigration Act 1987 from having to hold a permit.
  5. In cases where a child or grandchild is less than 17 years old and therefore cannot sponsor the applicant(s), a parent of the child or grandchild of the principal applicant may nevertheless sponsor the applicant(s) if they meet the sponsorship requirements set out at V3.110 (d) (i) (ii) and (iii), regardless of whether that parent is a child of the principal applicant.
  6. Where (e) occurs, evidence must be provided of the family relationship of the child or grandchild to the sponsoring parent.
  7. The sponsor may sponsor only one person or one family unit (principal applicant and their partner) at one time.
V3.110.1 Supporting documents
  1. Notwithstanding V2.20, people applying under this policy must provide a Sponsorship form for visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) completed by their New Zealand citizen or resident child or grandchild (or by the parent of their child or grandchild), in which the sponsor guarantees to meet the cost, while in New Zealand, of the applicant(s):
    1. maintenance; and
    2. accommodation; and
    3. health care; and
    4. repatriation.
  2. Visa officers must sight the following:
    1. evidence of the New Zealand immigration or citizenship status of the sponsor;
    2. documents that confirm the principal applicant's relationship to the child or grandchild.
V3.110.5 Length of permitted stay
  1. Notwithstanding V2.5 and V2.15, applicants who are approved under this policy may be issued with a 3-year multiple entry visitor's visa, allowing permits for visits of 6 months from each date of arrival provided that:
    1. the sponsor intends to be in New Zealand during the period of any visit to New Zealand permitted by that visa; and
    2. the sponsor supports the application.
  2. Notwithstanding V3.110.5 (a) applicants are limited to a maximum stay in New Zealand of 18 months in total during the currency of the visa.
V3.110.10 Issue of further multiple entry visitor's visas under this policy
  1. A further visitor's visa under this policy will not normally be approved within 3 years of the date that the most recent visa was issued under this policy.
  2. The following people will not normally be eligible for a subsequent multiple entry visitor's visa under this policy:
    1. People who were granted a visa under this policy and whose sponsor was not in New Zealand during the period(s) of their visit(s) to New Zealand;
    2. Any person granted a visa under this policy, who remains in New Zealand for a period in excess of the maximum allowable stay (18 months).
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:08 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really ? Can you give a link to these cases please.
I am not a lawyer and for experiance legal case notes of any nature are hard to come by on the internet unless you order them direct. Even then you need some basics in legal terminology to read them.

I would strongly suggest that the OP gets legal advice if they are pursuing this avenue and the direction of MP contact is one of those avenues. It is a hard situation to be in when you care for a family memember who is frail and so far away. I am not heartless and if there is any hope other than what we already know then is it not worth exploring that avenue which is advice and options the OP wanted to know? Either way it will clear up the matter which we on this forum can only speculate on the outcome.

Please walshy keep us updated if any progress is made athough I think it would be fair warn you that it could take several months or make little differance to the time frame you would have to wait anyway.

Good luck
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:02 am
`

With Immigration policy , reviews and waivers follow certain procedures . These are laid down in statute. The results of reviews & appeals are viewable on the internet.

The OP could perhaps choose to follow a procedure to request residence be granted as an exception to policy perhaps , based on humanitarian grounds . There is a statutory test for this.

If the OP chooses such a route , then I would suggest they pay for a reputable and licensed immigration advisor.

In the meantime the OPs father is free to apply to enter NZ under the Parent and Grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy and may be granted leave to stay for as much as 18 months it seems from what I read & have quoted above..

The OP might find THIS CASE interesting. It is not about a parent but about a daughter & is to be found in the usual place for these reviews. The Residents Review Board.

It is a hard situation to be in when you care for a family member who is frail and so far away
Like many of us here, I can empathise and relate to that. We left very elderly parents in the UK when we emigrated. I shuttled back and forth for 5 years until my Dad passed away earlier this year. My husband is still making the trip for his Mum. I suppose that is a very painful part of the trade off when you choose such a far away place as New Zealand.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:02 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

it's very, very hard indeed. I've wanted to leave here since I was 18 but never was able to as my mother would secretly panic (she never talked about it to me but I'd find out from others she'd shared her worries with). But ultimately I think parents do understand somehow. Big virtual hugs for everyone who had to go through this, I really feel for you.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:53 am
`

Originally Posted by Kija
But ultimately I think parents do understand somehow.
I agree with this. My lovely old Dad never tried to stop me but looking back I know it was like a bereavement to him coz he loved me so.

Parents are tougher than we think. They know us better than we think. They love us better than we can know & so can let us go.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:08 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this. My lovely old Dad never tried to stop me but looking back I know it was like a bereavement to him coz he loved me so.

Parents are tougher than we think. They know us better than we think. They love us better than we can know & so can let us go.

You have to remember that parents ultimately want what's best for their children. Even animals self sacrifice for their young! Parents really want to see us happy, even if sometimes it's to their expense.

x
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

With Immigration policy , reviews and waivers follow certain procedures . These are laid down in statute. The results of reviews & appeals are viewable on the internet.

The OP could perhaps choose to follow a procedure to request residence be granted as an exception to policy perhaps , based on humanitarian grounds . There is a statutory test for this.

If the OP chooses such a route , then I would suggest they pay for a reputable and licensed immigration advisor.

In the meantime the OPs father is free to apply to enter NZ under the Parent and Grandparent multiple entry visitor's visa policy and may be granted leave to stay for as much as 18 months it seems from what I read & have quoted above..

The OP might find THIS CASE interesting. It is not about a parent but about a daughter & is to be found in the usual place for these reviews. The Residents Review Board.

Like many of us here, I can empathise and relate to that. We left very elderly parents in the UK when we emigrated. I shuttled back and forth for 5 years until my Dad passed away earlier this year. My husband is still making the trip for his Mum. I suppose that is a very painful part of the trade off when you choose such a far away place as New Zealand.
Hi, Listen,

I want to say thanks first of all for all advice and also the understanding, I brought this up on another forum and was roundly booed and told how naughty I was.

Are you saying he could apply for this grandparents visa while with us in New Zealand on his 6 month visitor visa, and could possibly get 18 months?

Because this would take us up to 3 years in nz ourselves meaning grandparent sponsorship would be back on the cards.

Is the 18 month grandparent visa residency? otherwise getting private health care is an issue, although this does sound more promising, he doesent mind paying the $400 per month for non resident insurance.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks or all the advice above, I have 2 more questions if I may.

If we return to the uk next year to look after my father for a while, our returning residents visa runs out jan 2011, would we have absolutely no chance of returning after that date? Or are they flexible?

If we have a baby while back in the UK, do they get a returning residents visa in their passport automatically?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Reference insurance, we have last night insured my MIL who is 78 to come out next month with JS Insurance, AXA. If you go on to www.moneysavingexpert.com under the insurance tab at the top and then down to over 70's insurance, they will advice you which companies etc are insuring the older person. My MIL is coming out for 62 days.
This company is quoting half the price:

http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/cgi-...01+msdw009+alc
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:06 am
`

Originally Posted by walshy
Hi guys,

Thanks or all the advice above, I have 2 more questions if I may.

If we return to the uk next year to look after my father for a while, our returning residents visa runs out jan 2011, would we have absolutely no chance of returning after that date? Or are they flexible?

If we have a baby while back in the UK, do they get a returning residents visa in their passport automatically?

Thanks for all your help.
bump......

I and others somehow missed this post. Sorry

Howzit Walshy ?

Would you still like us all to pool our thoughts.

JG

cheers for that link.
I am looking into this for some friends of mine .