parents

Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default parents

Hey guys, bit a of a lurker, being forced in to a rare thread.

My father is 85, of good health for 85, no other siblings or dependants in uk.

We have only been here 1 year and understand we have to be here 3 until we can sponsor a parent.

My father is coming out in january, he is just flying from heathrow and turning up, (we understand there is no need for anything pre flight visa wise, uk resients get issued 6 months visa on arrival?)

My question, and i understand this may not be in the spirit of things, but does anyone have any experience of once parents arrive making an appeal for temporary residence to see out last few years with their family based on fraility with flying back etc?

He is self sufficent and happy to take out private health care etc, he would not cost the nz taxpayer a thing, however you have to have residency to get that!!

any help/advice?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: parents

Your father will need a return airline ticket which I assume he will get - otherwise they will not let him on the plane with a one way ticket.

I am applying for a Parent Visa - and have had to wait 3 years so that my son can sponsor me. I have never heard of someone being granted a visa like this but it will be interesting to hear if this has happened.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paula2007
Your father will need a return airline ticket which I assume he will get - otherwise they will not let him on the plane with a one way ticket.

I am applying for a Parent Visa - and have had to wait 3 years so that my son can sponsor me. I have never heard of someone being granted a visa like this but it will be interesting to hear if this has happened.
yes, he is buying a return ticket, it probably will be that he just goes home agin after 6 months, just wish he could stay with us as he has no one at home now as my sister recently died
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:44 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

I dont think there is an easy way around this and I do feel for you in making this happen.

Ways I could suggest are full of risk but one suggestion I would say is talk with you local MP and if you get no joy lobby another MP and pull on the heart strings. Sooner or later that might be able to find a waiver in their hearts to help.

Dont give up.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
I dont think there is an easy way around this and I do feel for you in making this happen.

Ways I could suggest are full of risk but one suggestion I would say is talk with you local MP and if you get no joy lobby another MP and pull on the heart strings. Sooner or later that might be able to find a waiver in their hearts to help.

Dont give up.
On the basis of what exactly???? An interesting concept though...given that elderly Brits can get 6 months visitor visas with no health formalities, what happens if they are taken ill when here (it can easily happen at their age especially)...I suspect they would just use air ambulance in their travel insurance and chuck them out anyway but there must be precedents.
Also at that age, it is hard to get medical cover in travel insurance especially for pre-existing conditions...so if you still travel despite this and fall foul of a pre-existing condition, what happens I wonder? In NZ they would get free emergency medical care as a tourist but I doubt they'd be allowed to stay.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walshy
yes, he is buying a return ticket, it probably will be that he just goes home agin after 6 months, just wish he could stay with us as he has no one at home now as my sister recently died
It's truely a dumb situation if you think about it. If you lived anywhere in UK or Europe, he'd be welcome to stay with you for as long as he liked....something for those with elderly parents to think about before choosing where to relocate to....but hey it must be paradise here because it's so hard to get in...
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Quite honestly, I have been advised to approach my local doc and get a letter saying he is too frail once he gets here, that the flight here took it out of him and the flight back could kill him, apparently there is a chance thet they will issue temporary residence with yearly reviews meaning he can get residents private health care, just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.

I dont see the problem if he is living under our roof and self sufficent, but i suppose i knew this could happen when we came out

He has travel insurance at a cost of $400 per month
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walshy
Quite honestly, I have been advised to approach my local doc and get a letter saying he is too frail once he gets here, that the flight here took it out of him and the flight back could kill him, apparently there is a chance thet they will issue temporary residence with yearly reviews meaning he can get residents private health care, just wondered if anyone had any experience of it.

I dont see the problem if he is living under our roof and self sufficent, but i suppose i knew this could happen when we came out

He has travel insurance at a cost of $400 per month
What company is he using for travel insurance?

I have only found 2 companies who will insure my 83 yr old MIL to fly to the US....costing around 1K GBP for just over 2 weeks. They will not insure anyone over 70 for a long stay.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Reference insurance, we have last night insured my MIL who is 78 to come out next month with JS Insurance, AXA. If you go on to www.moneysavingexpert.com under the insurance tab at the top and then down to over 70's insurance, they will advice you which companies etc are insuring the older person. My MIL is coming out for 62 days.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Reference insurance, we have last night insured my MIL who is 78 to come out next month with JS Insurance, AXA. If you go on to www.moneysavingexpert.com under the insurance tab at the top and then down to over 70's insurance, they will advice you which companies etc are insuring the older person. My MIL is coming out for 62 days.
I put in the details and the cost of the insurance is roughly the same....over 1K GBP...thank you anyway.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:34 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by luvwelly
On the basis of what exactly???? An interesting concept though...given that elderly Brits can get 6 months visitor visas with no health formalities, what happens if they are taken ill when here (it can easily happen at their age especially)...I suspect they would just use air ambulance in their travel insurance and chuck them out anyway but there must be precedents.
Also at that age, it is hard to get medical cover in travel insurance especially for pre-existing conditions...so if you still travel despite this and fall foul of a pre-existing condition, what happens I wonder? In NZ they would get free emergency medical care as a tourist but I doubt they'd be allowed to stay.
On the basis of giving the OP some hope. You well know there have been cases where it has happend and been before the Humans Right Commision. It is worth a try if you do not try you do not find out.

I will add there is no guarentee but again it is worth the shot if you believe in something I always say it is worth trying.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I feel bothered by this as it's fraudulent.
Either he is frail or not
If he is to frail to fly he should stay there.
If you are concerned...maybe you might need to consider going back to him.

People spend years and screeds of money to get into NZ the legal way.

Advice though...be very careful posting intentions on a public forum
I say this from experience having had a minor thing bite me in the bum

Case here in NZ where a woman publically criticising the govt on benefit cuts was exposed via previos post to public forum that she was living with undeclared partner and owned property that WINZ unaware of
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:16 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi walshy, while I can't offer much in the way of information, I do know how heartwrenching it is to leave parents behind and I really, really hope you find a way to have your father stay with you. I wish you all the best of luck!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Madmaxdeux
You well know there have been cases where it has happend and been before the Humans Right Commision.
Really ? Can you give a link to these cases please.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What company is he using for travel insurance?

I have only found 2 companies who will insure my 83 yr old MIL to fly to the US....costing around 1K GBP for just over 2 weeks. They will not insure anyone over 70 for a long stay.
It was 'visitor to nz' insurance, through a broker, acorn i think they are called.

Thanks for the advice people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.